13711 73 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-6-1 17:11
I def think its a bug....well for me atleast and not seeing values. M.singer and a few other guys I had confirmed whether that they saw this screen or not on iOS everything is fine.... on Android same screen

Those others have a P4P 2.0?  I suspect there are more changes to the guts than just Ocusync and different ESC's.
2018-6-1
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-6-1 17:15
Both flights have the same error message:

In Flight, working compass encounters data exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

We have seen other drones do similar things.  For instance many Mavic Air will tell you that there is a motor current error when there is none.  Later confirmed by DJI that it is just a bug and disregard the warning.
2018-6-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to show DIJ your logs that show the error

In Flight, working compass encounters data exception,please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

Something is deffo not right, but, this log looks like you took off from concrete??

Perhaps disregard the last sentence, your other flight was on a field and i see no reason for any interference, now ''Data Exception'' is software related so yeah, there looks to be a bug somewhere....
2018-6-1
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-1 17:34
We have seen other drones do similar things.  For instance many Mavic Air will tell you that there is a motor current error when there is none.  Later confirmed by DJI that it is just a bug and disregard the warning.

I really believe you have a genuine fault. It is possible that there has been a bad batch of components used. I would not trust the drone with that error constantly happening.
Is there any change in the colour of the rear lights in flight when the error message appears?
2018-6-1
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-6-1 22:08
I really believe you have a genuine fault. It is possible that there has been a bad batch of components used. I would not trust the drone with that error constantly happening.
Is there any change in the colour of the rear lights in flight when the error message appears?

No change in the drone lights.
2018-6-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-6-1 21:19
You need to show DIJ your logs that show the error

DJI already has the logs and are reviewing.  My contact says he does not expect a response till Sunday or Monday.

I have never took either of these new drones that have this behavior off on concrete.  A gravel driveway and an open field.  Both of which have been flown several times with other drones with no issues like this.

2018-6-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok chap, hope you get it resolved
2018-6-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I can tell I am going to love this drone once this issue is put to rest.  I will let you all know what support says when they get back to me.
2018-6-2
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

Again i have this "compass anomaly" also but just think its a generic message....like the "gps nomatch" people were getting with the p4p V1. And it says to plug in compass ..... well you can't plug in a compass on a phantom anyway my aircraft has been behaving normally from day 1and flies just great. I just wish I could see my dang Compass values  it's part of my PreFlight  hopefully DJI fixes it pretty quickly .....you definitely know when there is a compass error!!!
2018-6-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4

The DJI contact I have been communicating with also things it is some kind of app bug but he is running through engineering to double check.  Should have an answer Sunday night or Monday morning due to the time diff with China.
2018-6-2
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just noticed today that I got compass errors with my P4P as well. Never have in the past!
2018-6-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jbundy63 Posted at 2018-6-2 17:57
I just noticed today that I got compass errors with my P4P as well. Never have in the past!

Can you give any more information that might be relevant?
Was your Phantom 500 feet up and a mile away?
Was it sitting on the roof of your car?
????
2018-6-2
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
  • >>>

Jbundy are you talking about p4p v1 or the V2 because we are talking about the V2 version.... and give a little more information so we can help.
2018-6-2
Use props
Jbundy63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9583182 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry,, I have a P4P V1, I didn't realize the title said V2.  I believe it maybe the area now because my Inspire 2 seems to be having the same issue, but my P4P V 1 has been fine up till today, just seem strange I have over 700 flights in this area and not a single issue up until the last month or so. My P3P, Inspire 1, Mavic Pro Platinum do not seem affected, that's what seems so strange, possibly just because different in design, firmware, etc.

Nothing different from my other flights, no metal, power lines, flying out from 500 to 1500 feet.
2018-6-2
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4

Heard back from a USA based DJI support manager and here is his response: “I was able to speak with engineering. It’s a bug and they are already working on a fix. They agreed safe to fly.”
2018-6-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-3 12:33
Heard back from a USA based DJI support manager and here is his response: “I was able to speak with engineering. It’s a bug and they are already working on a fix. They agreed safe to fly.”

Brantel, thank you for your update. This would be optimized in the next firmware. BTW, if it is convenient, could you please provide me with your ticket number?
2018-6-3
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

June 2 I was flying at the local club and had tons of screen interference, no flight issues, but screen wipes and pixilation and artifacts all over the screen.

Today same location,  everything was awesome for the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon!!   none of the above stuff......then I was told that June 2nd had severe solar activity.......Hmmmmm

Add the "bug" and you have issues??  P4 Pro V1

Randy
2018-6-3
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Update... I decided to return the second drone to the dealer and brought home another brand new one.  Took it out of the box and activated it and then flew it.  No issues were found with the compass sensor status page, I get the normal sensor numbers, not seeing any compass redundancy switch messages and not seeing any warnings that the primary compass has failed/switch to ATTI mode if the craft acts weird.

I am not claiming victory yet till I get some more time on her but I am optimistic that the third drone is a charm!
2018-6-15
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

To add clarity, I did try the second drone with the latest 4.2.21 version of the DJI GO 4 app for iOS before deciding to exchange the drone a second time.  The app update did not resolve the issues.  That is what pushed me to swap it for a third one.
2018-6-15
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
  • >>>

Yup i was just gonna say the new app version still does not solve it....i thought it did.. .while in my house i can see values so I restarted it about 10 times i checked it and it was great... but when I'm outside I still can't see the values so no bueno.... what can I do know it's not anything serious it's something related to the app or fw. That needs fixing because the ac fly's fine... i am not one bit worried about it..have done numerous flights and no oddities.
2018-6-16
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4

Yeah mine flew well also.  I just could not stand it since many others don’t have that problem.  Since I could exchange it I did.  

Funny, I had the same thing happen when I first tried the new version of the app.  In the house it worked so I thought it was fixed.  Took it outside to fly and it still had the issue. Never could get it to show me numbers again.

I have ran 6 packs thru the new one and this issue has not shown up on it.
2018-6-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-1 17:18
Notice mine also says abnormal compass direction (and more words that may be masked out due to poor formatting) even though the drone flys well and the radar chart on the app agrees with the controller and where North really is.

Inflight working compass data exception switch to Atti mode could be a problem with bad IMU calibration.
At launch you are receiving this message, the reason you get this message is simply because IMU and compass are not lined up together and working together, it also could be caused as labroids said from launch location.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.

The fact that it has happened twice says it maybe the ground your taking off from, just one question have you added any extras to your craft?
2018-6-16
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-16 10:06
Inflight working compass data exception switch to Atti mode could be a problem with bad IMU calibration.
At launch you are receiving this message, the reason you get this message is simply because IMU and compass are not lined up together and working together, it also could be caused as labroids said from launch location.

It happend many times from many different locations.  Locations that were scanned with a gauss meter to ensure no magnetic issues existed.   Pic attached.  This was a 360° scan one of the launch areas.

The 3rd drone does not demonstrate these issues from the same locations tried by the first 2.
Since the new drone does not have this problem, I consider this particular issue closed for me.  Thanks for the help though!

IMG_2614.PNG
2018-6-16
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
  • >>>

I never got the imu exception message in flight to clarify....i just cant see compass values with new v2...super weird but the ac fly's fine. Ded need some kind of a fw update because two of my buddys see the same message on android so i know its a bug. One guy on ios "m.singer" his name is said it is displaying values. He also tried android and gets the same bug with compass....
2018-6-16
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Phantom 4 Pro 2.0 Firmware V01.00.1500 released

https://forum.dji.com/thread-154139-1-1.html

Overview
Date: 2018.06.26
Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.15.00
Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.15.00
Phantom 4 Pro+ V2.0 Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.01.00
DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.2.20
DJI GO 4 App Android: V 4.2.20

What’s New?
Optimized compass calibration.
Optimized gimbal performance to improve its stability during flight.

Notes
Once the firmware has been updated, it cannot be reverted to a previous version. Restart the aircraft and remote controller once the update is complete.
If the firmware update fails, restart the aircraft, remote controller, and DJI GO 4 app/DJI Assistant 2, then try updating again.
2018-6-26
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

I have already updated and am heading out for a flight.  It forced an IMU calibration afterwards which tells me they did work on the sensors which is a good thing.

Due to the release notes, I am optimistic that this is intended to help the slow yaw turning and gimbal glitching that people have been experiencing.
2018-6-26
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

I flew a short flight in between large thunderstorms.  Very gusty conditions so I stayed below 20'.

This updated forced an IMU calibration, reset my EXP settings, reset my brake sensitivity settings, and reset many of the obstacle settings.

So far so good with this limited flight test.  It is obvious they did some serious work on the compass and IMU code.

They also changed the DAT file log format that gets recorded on the mobile device.  They removed a ton of data fields!
Lost Signals.png
2018-6-26
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-26 17:20
I flew a short flight in between large thunderstorms.  Very gusty conditions so I stayed below 20'.

This updated forced an IMU calibration, reset my EXP settings, reset my brake sensitivity settings, and reset many of the obstacle settings.

"They removed a ton of data fields!"
It is not just re-arranged so some of the missing fields is found in some of the remaining sections?

Nice to hear that they seem to have fixed some of the common issues, happy flying.
2018-6-27
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-6-27 00:22
"They removed a ton of data fields!"
It is not just re-arranged so some of the missing fields is found in some of the remaining sections?

No, I checked....
2018-6-27
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

I flew a test mission this morning and trended/reviewed the logs for the issue with slow yaw while hovering.

So far the results seem promising! I performed the series of maneuvers that have proven to re-produce the issue on demand and the drift was non-existent to very minor.

It also seems that DJI fixed the braking response sensitivity issue that most were having where the drone was ignoring the sensitivity setting and braking at max braking effect no matter what. Now the drone seems to be responding to that setting and braking at more appropriate rates.
2018-6-27
Use props
Tweek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112927 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-27 06:06
I flew a test mission this morning and trended/reviewed the logs for the issue with slow yaw while hovering.

So far the results seem promising! I performed the series of maneuvers that have proven to re-produce the issue on demand and the drift was non-existent to very minor.

Brantel, I just got my v2 and it has the same error you were seeing on your first and second aircraft. Should I return mine as well, or is this fixable with software?

Thanks, Scott K
2018-7-14
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Tweek Posted at 2018-7-14 18:34
Brantel, I just got my v2 and it has the same error you were seeing on your first and second aircraft. Should I return mine as well, or is this fixable with software?

Thanks, Scott K

The last update fixed that issue completely for me and many others.  It usually forces an IMU recal so don't be alarmed.
2018-7-15
Use props
Leo_S
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49163 ft
Canada

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-1 17:18
Notice mine also says abnormal compass direction (and more words that may be masked out due to poor formatting) even though the drone flys well and the radar chart on the app agrees with the controller and where North really is.

I just wanted to chime in and say that this exact same thing has been happening to me. The drone wont even take off straight anymore, just rotates into whatever position it thinks north is. When I'm flying, it flies diagonally. Brantel, I hope you find a fix this this madness. My Mavic Pro had 0 problems with navigation (don't get me started on the camera though).
2018-10-28
Use props
djiuser_iOEL831mjZdI
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-5-31 17:21
Forget about electrical cables, a compass issue is usually due to launching from a surface that has steel or iron in it. The most common mistake is to launch from a concrete surface that has rebar in it, or from the roof of a car, or from garden furniture with steel frame etc. The best place is from grass that has no buried pipes under it.

Repeatedly calibrating the compass will not do anything, the aircraft is telling you that once it got in the air, the magnetic field is different to what it was when you switched it one. And that is another thing, do not switch the aircraft on while sitting on a metal surface, then take it out and put it on grass. The aircraft takes compass measurements where it is powered up, and if there is metal around, you will get the problem you describe.

This bit:

"And that is another thing, do not switch the aircraft on while sitting on a metal surface, then take it out and put it on grass. The aircraft takes compass measurements where it is powered up, and if there is metal around, you will get the problem you describe."

...might be the issue I'm encountering. Will keep this in mind today when I fly.
2021-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules