Mavic Platinum Nothing But Problems
1846 17 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SNC415
lvl.1
Flight distance : 230374 ft

So I just need to get this off my chest before I completely explode.  I started off on a Phantom 3 standard.  I got a Mavic Pro Platinum as a gift and sold the Phantom.  The mavic had a total of 42 minutes on it when I got the gimbal overload error.  Of course since it was a gift and I cannot provide a reciept, there is no warranty and estimated price to fix the gimbal was around 350.  I'm pretty tech savy and have no trouble tearing a phone or computer apart and putting it back together, so I went ahead and ordered the ribbon cable off amazon.  The first one, Amazon put bare into a large padded envelope.  The mail man then wadded up that large envelope and stuffed it in my 4x4x12 mail box with a ton of other mail.  I didn't even take the chance of installing it and sent it back along with a complaint to FS Labs on amazons packaging methods.  Amazon sent the second one and was generous enough to stuff a bunch of heavy electric guitar harware from a different order in the same envelope.  Now being drone deprived, I went ahead and installed it.  It almost worked.  The overload error was gone, but now the gimbal would only face down. It would come up extemely slowly, but as soon as I let go of the dial, it would just flop back down.  So I reurned it again and overnighted yet another replacement.  Got this one installed and everything was working perfect until I downloaded the video.  Major Jellow effect.  Aparently, in all the assembly and disassembly, one of the rubber dampeners broke and of course the only way you can replace them is to buy the whole board.  So the new board arrived today.  I have completely had it with with taking this thing apart and putting it back together, so I opted to just replace the one damaged rubber dampener.  I was as delicate as possible and the install only took about a minute (now that I can work on this thing with my eyes closed).  Went to go out for a test flight and wouldn't you know the gimbal overload is back and the gimbal is just flopping around again.  For such a high dollar toy, this thing is really quite the piece of crap.  I have read countless threads about this gimbal ribbon cable issue and dampener board issue.  DJI clearly knows of these issues but does nothing about it unless you pay for their warranty up front when you buy it new.   It still has less than an hour on it and I have spent more time working on it than I have enjoying it.  I'm feeling like I should have never parted with the Phantom 3.  This Mavic Platinum is a complete joke and waste of time and money!!
2018-5-31
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

My Mavic Platinum had similar problem with the gimbal, but I am lot lucky than you which I turn in mine and DJI replaced the new gimbal completely within two weeks.
2018-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad to hear.
Was the Mavic new when you got it?
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - that defines infuriating. I sold my MPP. Trust me, it is an excellent drone when it works but the fact you have a gimbal hanging openly on rubber bands off of this amazing drone that reaches speeds of over 40MPH is baffling. I always had horizon tilt issues in the slightest wind but your story is in a different league of disasters. Got the MA now and so pleased with the transition.
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Regarding the gimbal overload error, firstly, may I confirm that did the drone crash before or not? Could you please show us a screenshot of the error message in your DJI GO4 app? We'd like to help you check it. At the same time, it is not recommended to modify/repair the drone yourself, we are not able to assure the compatibility and the performance of the drone after the modification, which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety. If there is a need, please contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thank you for your support.
2018-6-1
Use props
SNC415
lvl.1

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-6-1 00:45
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Regarding the gimbal overload error, firstly, may I confirm that did the drone crash before or not? Could you please show us a screenshot of the error message in your DJI GO4 app? We'd like to help you check it. At the same time, it is not recommended to modify/repair the drone yourself, we are not able to assure the compatibility and the performance of the drone after the modification, which might cause a potential threat to the flight safety. If there is a need, please contact our support to start a case and send it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support. Thank you for your support.

No the drone has not crashed.  The parts installed have come from FS Labs and are OEM Original Parts.  I was unable to open up a support ticket because being a gift, I do not have a receipt and it is not possible to obtain one.  
2018-6-1
Use props
SNC415
lvl.1

SNC415 Posted at 2018-6-1 07:03
No the drone has not crashed.  The parts installed have come from FS Labs and are OEM Original Parts.  I was unable to open up a support ticket because being a gift, I do not have a receipt and it is not possible to obtain one.  [view_image][view_image]

2018-6-1
Use props
SNC415
lvl.1

A CW Posted at 2018-6-1 00:18
Sorry to read that - that defines infuriating. I sold my MPP. Trust me, it is an excellent drone when it works but the fact you have a gimbal hanging openly on rubber bands off of this amazing drone that reaches speeds of over 40MPH is baffling. I always had horizon tilt issues in the slightest wind but your story is in a different league of disasters. Got the MA now and so pleased with the transition.

I may have to look into that, but honestly, I have been less than thrilled with the business practices of DJI, so if I offload this one for something else, it will likely NOT have DJI stamped on it.  
2018-6-1
Use props
SNC415
lvl.1

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-5-31 23:25
Sad to hear.
Was the Mavic new when you got it?

Yes it was
2018-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

In that case you can apply for warranty. You don't have to be the buyer.
If it is less than one year old, DJI must give you warranty (at least, that is how it works here in NL)
2018-6-1
Use props
SNC415
lvl.1

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-1 07:33
In that case you can apply for warranty. You don't have to be the buyer.
If it is less than one year old, DJI must give you warranty (at least, that is how it works here in NL)

I tried online and it said it wasn't eligable.  This unit was manufactured in September of 2017.
2018-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SNC415 Posted at 2018-6-1 07:48
I tried online and it said it wasn't eligable.  This unit was manufactured in September of 2017.

I would contact support if I was you. You are still not past the 1 year warranty period.
(Now I don't know how it works in your region, but here in NL it is 1 year)
2018-6-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SNC415 Posted at 2018-6-1 07:10
I may have to look into that, but honestly, I have been less than thrilled with the business practices of DJI, so if I offload this one for something else, it will likely NOT have DJI stamped on it.

You tend to find 'once bitten, twice shy' with most brands which is a shame in this case as DJI generally make the best camera drones on the market. Take a step back and see how you feel in a few weeks or so.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

SNC415 Posted at 2018-6-1 07:03
No the drone has not crashed.  The parts installed have come from FS Labs and are OEM Original Parts.  I was unable to open up a support ticket because being a gift, I do not have a receipt and it is not possible to obtain one.  [view_image][view_image]

I was unable to open up a support ticket because being a gift, I do not have a receipt and it is not possible to obtain one.  

That is not right.  You should not be required to have a purchase reciept being how DJI Mavic drones have to be registered / activiated.

Good to know, because it rules out buying a DJI drone to give as a Gift.

2018-6-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-1 09:45
I was unable to open up a support ticket because being a gift, I do not have a receipt and it is not possible to obtain one.  

Sorry, but this story has some big question marks on it. Read again the OP. The aircraft had obviously been sent in to DJI for repair but the suggested repair fee was considered to be too high and OP started to repair himself with limited success. Just looking at what has been reported on this case until now at least suggests that for some reason the initial repair case was not recognised as a warranty case.
If the aircraft has been properly activated at the time of purchase, is less than one year old and the damage did not result from an obvious crash, it was under warranty. I write "was" because by now with repair attempts not done by DJI, the warranty might be voided.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-1 10:04
Sorry, but this story has some big question marks on it. Read again the OP. The aircraft had obviously been sent in to DJI for repair but the suggested repair fee was considered to be too high and OP started to repair himself with limited success. Just looking at what has been reported on this case until now at least suggests that for some reason the initial repair case was not recognised as a warranty case.
If the aircraft has been properly activated at the time of purchase, is less than one year old and the damage did not result from an obvious crash, it was under warranty. I write "was" because by now with repair attempts not done by DJI, the warranty might be voided.

I didn't get that from OP's opening story.  I took it he got an estimate from either DJI or a drone repair shop.  Not that drone was actually sent to DJI, and he rejected the estimate.

But if drone was actually sent to DJI, then why would DJI be demanding a sales receipt or $350?  Demanding a sales receipt would not fit with rejection of warranty due to abuse of drone.
DJI should be able to verify when drone was registered and activated, thus determining whether it was within 1-year warranty period.   
2018-6-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-1 10:14
I didn't get that from OP's opening story.  I took it he got an estimate from either DJI or a drone repair shop.  Not that drone was actually sent to DJI, and he rejected the estimate.

But if drone was actually sent to DJI, then why would DJI be demanding a sales receipt or $350?  Demanding a sales receipt would not fit with rejection of warranty due to abuse of drone.

I do not know either whether it had been sent to DJI or another repair shop. This is why I wrote there are question marks in this story. Hopefully OP will provide all details required for proper judgement on the situation.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-1 10:04
Sorry, but this story has some big question marks on it. Read again the OP. The aircraft had obviously been sent in to DJI for repair but the suggested repair fee was considered to be too high and OP started to repair himself with limited success. Just looking at what has been reported on this case until now at least suggests that for some reason the initial repair case was not recognised as a warranty case.
If the aircraft has been properly activated at the time of purchase, is less than one year old and the damage did not result from an obvious crash, it was under warranty. I write "was" because by now with repair attempts not done by DJI, the warranty might be voided.

I write "was" because by now with repair attempts not done by DJI, the warranty might be voided.

Agreed.  Once he dismantled drone to replace gimbal cable, the warranty was voided.

Not that I nessarily agree with manufactures indoctrinated idea of opening means voided warranty, but it is what it is.

Still, idea is semi infuriating to those of us who work with High-Tech stuff, and have done things like rebuilding disk drives from bare chasis to running status.

2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules