Mavic Air Disconnected Mid Flight
8236 21 2018-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
acantonio1
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
It was my first time REALLY flying the mavic (typically I would fly it on a field of some sort but nothing crazy). I was flying it off the side of a mountain 1200ft in the air and all of a sudden the mavic air disconnected and needless to say I was losing it with anxiety. It was about 500ft away from me and maybe 75ft up from home (I was on the top of the mountain) but 1200ft off the bottom of the mountain. Luckily, it returned to home. How common is this problem and is there something I can do before I lose my mind with anxiety every time I fly? Also, will it always return to home and does it assign home automatically?

Thank you!
2018-6-1
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Check the channel page before flying in a new area.  Make sure the wifi channels aren't over run with interferrence and users.  You need an open channel to fly.  Was there a cell tower near you?  Likely, you just lost the video feed from the drone.  

Also get good at flying by the icon in the lower left that shows where the drone is pointing, as related to you, and its tilt (Attitude Direction Indicator (ADI)).  That way you can fly it home without video feed and turn it to unmask the antennas that are in its front feet.  Turning it might restore video feed.  I have never used RTH.
2018-6-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Good day. I am sorry that that happened to your Mavic. The reason why the drone losses its connection with the RC is because of the loss of GPS signal and if there are lots of interference and obstacle in the area.
2018-6-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Please upload your relating flightrecord to this site and share the link with us: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
This might help for a better understanding of what has happened.
2018-6-1
Use props
cthue
New
Flight distance : 5105 ft
United States

I've only used the drone a few times, and it has disconnected at least twice.
I was in the desert and I assume there was little interference; the drone was also within a hundred feet.
If anyone has insight, I'd appreciate it.

Log 1
Log 2
2018-6-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you keep an eye on your settelites.  Make sure you always have 10 sattelites or more before and during flights if it starting to drop sattelite hit the RTH, but it looks like you have the auto RTH when you loose connection which is always a good idea.

Fly safe!
2018-6-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

cthue Posted at 2018-6-2 19:25
I've only used the drone a few times, and it has disconnected at least twice.
I was in the desert and I assume there was little interference; the drone was also within a hundred feet.
If anyone has insight, I'd appreciate it.

What do you precisely mean by "disconnected"? Loss of the video link? Unless I have overlooked something, I do not see any disconnects in your flightrecords.
2018-6-3
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-1 07:14
Check the channel page before flying in a new area.  Make sure the wifi channels aren't over run with interferrence and users.  You need an open channel to fly.  Was there a cell tower near you?  Likely, you just lost the video feed from the drone.  

Also get good at flying by the icon in the lower left that shows where the drone is pointing, as related to you, and its tilt (Attitude Direction Indicator (ADI)).  That way you can fly it home without video feed and turn it to unmask the antennas that are in its front feet.  Turning it might restore video feed.  I have never used RTH.

There is no Telemetry on the Mavic Air
2018-6-3
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-3 00:33
What do you precisely mean by "disconnected"? Loss of the video link? Unless I have overlooked something, I do not see any disconnects in your flightrecords.

It is disconnected in both these logs. I would look at how the controller is pointed to the drone or what channel is used in WiFi.
2018-6-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-3 02:30
It is disconnected in both these logs. I would look at how the controller is pointed to the drone or what channel is used in WiFi.

Yes, sorry, now I noticed it. Both times the record just stops before end of flight. I had focussed on the parts before only.
2018-6-3
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-3 02:38
Yes, sorry, now I noticed it. Both times the record just stops before end of flight. I had focussed on the parts before only.

Yes might also bee some background app which cause this as there is no reconnect in the log.
2018-6-3
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-6-3 00:40
There is no Telemetry on the Mavic Air

Bold statement considering the posted log.
2018-6-3
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Sorry I meant on the RC. (versus the pro)
2018-6-3
Use props
cthue
New
Flight distance : 5105 ft
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2018-6-3 02:57
Yes might also bee some background app which cause this as there is no reconnect in the log.

Thanks for your input. I am new to drones and am not familiar with the hardware or software.
That being said, I am suspicious of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) or the OS having issues that impact the DJI app.

My question for the experts, if the connection is lost between the app and the drone, how can I reconnect?
2018-6-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

cthue Posted at 2018-6-7 13:06
Thanks for your input. I am new to drones and am not familiar with the hardware or software.
That being said, I am suspicious of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) or the OS having issues that impact the DJI app.

First of all, do not shut down the RC. But you can shut down the DJI GO 4 App in such a situation and make sure that all other Apps that might be running in the background get also shut down. Then restart DJI GO 4. This will hopefully save the situation.
2018-6-7
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The RC should reconnect automatically when aircraft return closer if signal is weak or with interference. However, in some case the connection just broke and unable to reconnect again even aircraft return in front. Don’t know what caused this problem and only way to reconnect is restart the RC and Aircraft.
2018-6-8
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Iceland

Samsung S7 is one of the best  working Android phones.
There is something else which is wrong. I have newer had any trouble with my S7.
2018-6-8
Use props
djiuser_TRa3xrZJe2Ga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 925 ft
Israel

Hi, Did you find the problem and a solution?
2020-6-24
Use props
djiuser_TRa3xrZJe2Ga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 925 ft
Israel

Hi, Did you find the problem and a solution?
2020-6-24
Use props
djiuser_r2Mwk79uA98K
New

Australia

Anyone on this post still? I have same issue. New to droning. Twice this has happened.
First time it came back after a few minutes
Yesterday on fraser island not so lucky. It simply never returned. Distance wasn't far away at all. No wired interference in area. Only about 20 humans around the beach. Just disconnected over the ocean and suggested to return home but never did. I tried pressing rth on phone and on rc... both no luck. Is this sometbhing that mavic covers in warranty?
2021-4-27
Use props
djiuser_r2Mwk79uA98K
New

Australia

djiuser_r2Mwk79uA98K Posted at 4-27 01:54
Anyone on this post still? I have same issue. New to droning. Twice this has happened.
Yesterday on fraser island not so lucky. It simply never returned. Distance wasn't far away at all. No wired interference in area. Only about 20 humans around the beach. Just disconnected over the ocean and suggested to return home but never did. I tried pressing rth on phone and on rc... both no luck. Is this sometbhing that mavic covers in warranty?

Drone was found today washed up on the shore
This is where i was flying.
2021-4-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_r2Mwk79uA98K Posted at 4-27 01:54
Anyone on this post still? I have same issue. New to droning. Twice this has happened.
Yesterday on fraser island not so lucky. It simply never returned. Distance wasn't far away at all. No wired interference in area. Only about 20 humans around the beach. Just disconnected over the ocean and suggested to return home but never did. I tried pressing rth on phone and on rc... both no luck. Is this sometbhing that mavic covers in warranty?

Hi,

sorry for your loss!

Best to get advice/help what happend is to upload your flightlog, using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Or just put a cloud-link to your flightlog on here.

After a full disconnect not possible to activate RTH by yourself as the comms to the drone is broken....

cheers
JJB
2021-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules