Progressive glasses
868 6 2018-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
janbso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21929 ft
Norway

I wonder if there is impossible to play with dji goggles and my progressive glasses. (2,5 up, 4,5 down and 3,5 in the middle) The middle part is sort of ok, but the menu up and at the side is blure.
Will it be ok if I buy a fixed lenses glasses?

2018-6-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Based on how progressive glasses work - Changing correction by varying amounts from top to bottom of lenes, with top usually being for driving (distant objects) and bottom for reading (close objects) and DJI's Goggles image plane does not change distance from your eye, fixed lens glass should work.

You might want to check with your eye doctor.  In case you have some other eye problem your progressive glasses are correcting.

2018-6-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha janbso,

If there are no problems from what HedgeTrimmer wrote, you should not have a problem with an inexpensive drugstore set of reading glasses.  I have seen a recommendation to use a set with one higher diopter than what you would use for reading.  In my house, I have a lot of reading glasses and they are all different, or so it would seem.  I was lucky and able to fine tune my vision needs.

BTW, after you determine the best glasses for flying with your goggles, DJI does sell inserts with various diopters.  You might want to consider that.  But, because the DJI Goggles do flip up and allow you to keep the glasses on, sometimes it is better to just keep the glasses so you do not have to put on another pair of glasses after flying.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-3
Use props
janbso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21929 ft
Norway

Cetacean Posted at 2018-6-3 01:00
Aloha janbso,

If there are no problems from what HedgeTrimmer wrote, you should not have a problem with an inexpensive drugstore set of reading glasses.  I have seen a recommendation to use a set with one higher diopter than what you would use for reading.  In my house, I have a lot of reading glasses and they are all different, or so it would seem.  I was lucky and able to fine tune my vision needs.

You mentioned a very important issue. When start and when stop (even if I have a person stand beside me for safety flight) and when I flip up the goggles, I have to find my daily glasses. So I also think it is best to have them on all the time.
2018-6-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I was in the same situation and got a pair of reading glasses made up by the Optician. Take the goggles with you, it's a good topic of conversation :-)
I had a test run with the spectacles frame and all the drop in and adjustable optics they use (no whiskey though), now I believe that mine are set for a reading distance of 9 inches. But check with eye doctor to make sure. But they work well, and for me double up as reading glasses as perfectly in focus up to about 18 inches or so.

I decided to go down this route rather than the diopter clip-on because I have differences between my eyes and thought it would be too much scuttering about to get the correct formula for me. And my prescription glasses were £29 as opposed to the corrective diopters which come in at £26 for DJI brand, plus about £13 postage (based on what I've seen recently in their shop).
2018-6-3
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

This one can works with your glasses.

https://www.epson.co.uk/products/see-through-mobile-viewer/moverio-bt-300?
2018-6-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

janbso Posted at 2018-6-3 01:35
You mentioned a very important issue. When start and when stop (even if I have a person stand beside me for safety flight) and when I flip up the goggles, I have to find my daily glasses. So I also think it is best to have them on all the time.

Aloha janbso,

Good point!  In that case, you might want to test with the lower two lenses of the progressive series.  In my case, I used the strongest magnifier (+3) because the screen is so close.  And that was only for one eye!  My other eye has an astigmatism so the normal goggles magnifiers work (strange).   The goggles lenses are big magnifiers to but they are for normal eyes so those of us who use reading glasses need more magnification to supplement the goggles lenses.

What Aardvark said is a good idea to so you might want to consider each part of his comment.  It looks like you have a lot to think about and test.  Be sure to come back if you have more questions!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules