I was investigated by the FBI because of my Phantom2
1760 6 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wingedview
New

United States

I bought my Phantom 2 vision + back in January. After watching a lot of Youtube videos, practicing in an open field, and reading everything possible on drones, I was eager to take mine out for its first real flight. I live in NY, during this time it was bitterly cold and the Hudson River was a completely frozenover sheet of ICE. I figured, what a cool thing to capture with my drone. So, I drove to Nyack NY and spent about 15 min flying my drone around the ice & construction. I remember the cold making my fingers feeling like someone had just banged them with a hammer. Just as I was leaving, I cop pulled up and said , "someone reported that I was flying my drone over the Tappan Zee Bridge" (which was completely un-true). Anyway, he takes down my name and says "Someone will be intouch". The first link is the video that I shot with my drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42qweVqDE5g

Last Monday (4 months later) my wife calls me at work to tell me that 2 FBI agents just banged on the door asking to speak to me about my drone. That’s when I contacted the local news who jumped at the chance to do a drone story. The news story is the link below:

http://westchester.news12.com/news/photographer-says-fbi-investigating-his-drone-use-1.10389279

That Thursday, they came back and spent about 20min at my house. This is where the story gets kind of cool. They were completely impressed by the drone itself. The asked me why did I buy it, and all sorts of question on the specs. Such as how far it will go, how high, the cost ect. They said that public perception of drones is all about fear and it’s ridiculous. They also said people should stop calling them drones and suggested calling them something like FAC (Flying Aerial Cameras). Basically, the meeting with them was completely non-confrontational and they at least seemed to be on my side. Then they ask to see the video. They nearly fainted. The said it looks like something from NatGeo. At the very end of the meeting, one of the agents pulls out his card and says if anyone else ever gives you trouble about your drone, have them call me on my cell and I'll take care of it. Freakin Cool meeting. I kinda feelleg it now. Yes, I know I'll be on all kinds of list and databases for the restof my life, but if I can use my drone to make money it's worth it.
2015-5-14
Use props
lelandapple
New

United States

Nice story, faith in humanity restored. Thanks
2015-5-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I like AVP - Aerial Video Platform.  Pass it on.
2015-5-14
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-14
Use props
wingedview
New

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-15 09:31
I like AVP - Aerial Video Platform.  Pass it on.

They said the word "Drone" brings up images of military use and secrecy. Thus, feeding the public hysteria around drones.
2015-5-15
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

The FCC blew this one with their definitions. What we have is really nothing more than a Quad Copter with a camera attached. They need to really redefine what a drone is. If they don' hobbiest like us are going to get caught up into the drone world of rules and exclusions.  The real meaning of a drone is a unmanned piloted aircraft. So by that definition all radio controlled aircraft are drones. Then why are they hitting  us so hard. They need to reclassify ... A real drone is a military remotely piloted aircraft that  can be weaponized or used for spy purposes. Do classify a $1200 hobbiest aircraft with those $ million dollar war planes.... Just my two cents. Hello Congress and Senators, do something right for a change.
2015-5-15
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Awesome story!...Have not had the FBI knock on ma door yet but I have become well aquainted with the local,Winder,Georgia code enforcement..6 times in 1 week...was told that I could be charged with stalking because of the camera.....to that I replyed....stay right here and give me 2 seconds.....in front of 4 police officers and 8 busy body neighbors I removed the camera fired up the bird and gave an exhibition....The police were hot...I mean hot...I know..not the smartest move but after a week of this crap I was fed up...my neighbors cat made it's way to the show in my front yard...bad move kitty...after entertaining the crowd and seeing smiles...I shut the bird down....officers now smile and wave when they see me in town....the cat stays in his yard....not trying to steal your thunder wingedview just took the opportunity post an  Aerial Photography Platform story...Glad that you too had a good outcome..
2015-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules