Signal Loss
1056 28 2018-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shep3522
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191896 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Mavic Air. I have seen lots of posts where Customers get the message 'Signal Loss' I have tried various leads, tried Ipad Mini and Samsung Tab A to no avail. The Firmware is up to date. The areas in which I fly are clear of any obstructions etc. Why have DJI not recalled these Drones as I am not the first to experience this? I just want to be able to have trust in going out and flying it and just cannot seem to fix the issue? Although it says no Signal (I then lose the Picture and prior to getting No Signal the Gimbal Records etc but seems to stick giving a jerky type video) but having got no signal message and loss of picture I still have control of the Drone so totally confused. How about a Factory Reset?? ps I have full GPS coverage too. Any Ideas, please
2018-6-6
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Which country you are flying and how far away you lost signal? Is any radio interference around? Did you try other location and still have same results?
2018-6-6
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GDL Posted at 2018-6-6 21:49
Which country you are flying and how far away you lost signal? Is any radio interference around? Did you try other location and still have same results?

Hi, Flying in the UK. I was 120' high and a distance of about 50'. Flown same place over 10 times so moved to another open area, again no pylons / interference. Initially ok but then same issue. Seems Mavic Air users are getting this a lot so there should be a recall as obviously there is a fault.
2018-6-6
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

You should send the unit back to DJI if believe it has problem.
2018-6-7
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Are you pointing your controller towards aircraft! Antenna orientation is important. Theres a tutorial somewhere so bare with me whilst I search for it...... it helps.
2018-6-7
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GDL Posted at 2018-6-7 00:32
You should send the unit back to DJI if believe it has problem.

I'll call them but as I say looking at quite a few posts seems it's a problem with quite a few Mavic Air's therefore a recall should come into play. Akin to buying a Car and a fault.... these can kill too
2018-6-7
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-6-7 00:51
Are you pointing your controller towards aircraft! Antenna orientation is important. Theres a tutorial somewhere so bare with me whilst I search for it...... it helps.

Yes always in same direction as I use a Sun Shield but no joy. I'll contact Drones Direct where I bought it from. Thanks m8
2018-6-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Shep, have you sent the drone out? If you haven't, there might be some suggestions for your reference.
For Mavic Air, since you mentioned that the areas that you are flying in are free of obstacles, please ensure that the RC and AC antennas are unfolded, the position of the antennas should be relatively parallel between the RC and AC. Then check the interference of the current channel on the WiFi settings, choose a channel with less noise. Besides, please check if there is a need to update the firmware. See if these steps help.

2018-6-10
Use props
Gaijin
lvl.2

Japan

Sorry if you are already doing this, but are your landing gears in the down position? I know some people don't know that it actually houses the antenna in there as well.
2018-6-10
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-10 19:40
Shep, have you sent the drone out? If you haven't, there might be some suggestions for your reference.
For Mavic Air, since you mentioned that the areas that you are flying in are free of obstacles, please ensure that the RC and AC antennas are unfolded, the position of the antennas should be relatively parallel between the RC and AC. Then check the interference of the current channel on the WiFi settings, choose a channel with less noise. Besides, please check if there is a need to update the firmware. See if these steps help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Hi Thor,

Thanks for the above. Antennae is in correct position etc. I only use GPS as I cannot connect to Wifi at all and have tried to numerous times but nothing happens and besides I have been told using 4G is better than Wifi. I have sent the item back now to DJI who will take a look at it. Thanks for your advice though
2018-6-10
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Gaijin Posted at 2018-6-10 20:49
Sorry if you are already doing this, but are your landing gears in the down position? I know some people don't know that it actually houses the antenna in there as well.

Hi Gaijin

Yes Landing Gear down. Item now en route back to DJI who will take a look at it. Thanks anyhow
2018-6-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

You’ve lost me! What has 4G got to do with signal loss? I’m assuming you connected your phone to the RC via a cable? In which case, your phone could by in Flight mode and have no impact! The “WiFi” signal is between the RC & the drone
2018-6-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PS Neither the RC or the MA have a SIM card in them, so you couldn’t user 4G even if you wanted to!
2018-6-11
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-6-11 00:21
You’ve lost me! What has 4G got to do with signal loss? I’m assuming you connected your phone to the RC via a cable? In which case, your phone could by in Flight mode and have no impact! The “WiFi” signal is between the RC & the drone

sorry for the confusion. I have used a Ipad Mini 2 / a Samsung Phone and lastly a Samsung TAB A and in all of them I use a Giff Gaff Sim Card for my Flights. I have tried to set up the Wifi but it just won't work hence just using Sim Card. Hope that makes sense.........
2018-6-11
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-6-11 00:25
PS Neither the RC or the MA have a SIM card in them, so you couldn’t user 4G even if you wanted to!

sorry for the confusion. I have used a Ipad Mini 2 / a Samsung Phone and lastly a Samsung TAB A and in all of them I use a Giff Gaff Sim Card for my Flights. I have tried to set up the Wifi but it just won't work hence just using Sim Card. Hope that makes sense.........
2018-6-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Nope! What are you using the SIM card to communicate to????
2018-6-11
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-6-11 01:32
Nope! What are you using the SIM card to communicate to????

The Sim Card is with Giff Gaff and I top it up to get my Data. I put the Sim in one of the Devices such as Ipad Mini or Phone and that helps to fly the Drone using the Data rather than Wifi, which I have never been able to connect to for whatever reason
2018-6-11
Use props
Bowhunt121
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1431699 ft

Shep3522 Posted at 2018-6-11 02:39
The Sim Card is with Giff Gaff and I top it up to get my Data. I put the Sim in one of the Devices such as Ipad Mini or Phone and that helps to fly the Drone using the Data rather than Wifi, which I have never been able to connect to for whatever reason

Your drone doesn’t fly off of data so I am confused as well. The only thing data helps with is being able to access your map. Other than that the link to from your remote to drone is through WiFi.
2018-6-11
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bowhunt121 Posted at 2018-6-11 03:05
Your drone doesn’t fly off of data so I am confused as well. The only thing data helps with is being able to access your map. Other than that the link to from your remote to drone is through WiFi.

m8 I am at a total loss now then as I have never ever had Wifi enabled only Data usage so not really sure what to say.
2018-6-11
Use props
Bowhunt121
lvl.2

Shep3522 Posted at 2018-6-11 04:15
m8 I am at a total loss now then as I have never ever had Wifi enabled only Data usage so not really sure what to say.

You are using the cable that hooks from your remote to the phone right? I fly with an iPad Air 2 and it does not have data only WiFi. As long as you are using the rc cable you don’t need data. But if you were to fly using just your phone you would have to connect to the WiFi of your drone. The only thing affects for me is not being able to access map. But if I know ahead of time where I am flying o can pull it up at home with WiFi and then access it that way.
2018-6-11
Use props
Bowhunt121
lvl.2

Shep3522 Posted at 2018-6-11 04:15

To make it simplified your drone produces its own WiFi. There for your home WiFi or data has nothing to do with the signal to your drone
2018-6-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Shep3522 Posted at 2018-6-10 23:59
Hi Thor,

Thanks for the above. Antennae is in correct position etc. I only use GPS as I cannot connect to Wifi at all and have tried to numerous times but nothing happens and besides I have been told using 4G is better than Wifi. I have sent the item back now to DJI who will take a look at it. Thanks for your advice though

The WiFi settings I mentioned above is about the "transmission settings" on the DJI GO 4. If you have sent the drone in, the local team will arrange a test for the drone and see if there is an issue with the drone.
Hope you can get the drone back soon. If there is any difficulty during the process, you can let me know, I am glad to help.
2018-6-11
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-6-11 19:34
The WiFi settings I mentioned above is about the "transmission settings" on the DJI GO 4. If you have sent the drone in, the local team will arrange a test for the drone and see if there is an issue with the drone.
Hope you can get the drone back soon. If there is any difficulty during the process, you can let me know, I am glad to help.

Hi Thor

I really am confused about how I am able to fly the Mavic Pro as honestly I have never used Wifi and ensure Wifi is turned off at all times?? I have sent it back now so hopefully they'll see whatever is causing the issue. I notice Bohunt above has mentioned the Data Sim has nothing to do with flying the Drone but as far as I am aware without the Sim and with Wifi turned off the Drone would not fly. Again, never ever have I had Wifi turned on to fly it
2018-6-11
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry, but it seems you have a fundamental miss understanding of how the RC communicates to the MA
2018-6-12
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-6-12 01:08
Sorry, but it seems you have a fundamental miss understanding of how the RC communicates to the MA

Hi again it seems I have something wrong as everyone seems to think it will only fly using Wifi. Never ever have I used Wifi to fly it and the Sim Card gets topped up with Data every month and after flying it using the Sim Data I can see the Data dropping from 5GB down so this Mavic definately flies without using Wifi I cannot seem to get that across (meant in a nice way)
2018-6-12
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Your drone emits a wifi signal which communicates with the RC. Your phone/tablet doesn't need wifi. ONLY if you want to fly when you dont want to use ur RC because THEN you need a device, in this case the tablet, to communicate with the drone, which is the wifi signal.
Again, if you use ur RC + tablet, you DON'T need wifi on your tablet. And even if you had wifi activated: wifi does NOT use data from your sim card. The data in your sim card is used by 3G/4G from your tablet, which is NOT needed when flying.
2018-6-12
Use props
Shep3522
lvl.2
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 2018-6-12 01:23
Your drone emits a wifi signal which communicates with the RC. Your phone/tablet doesn't need wifi. ONLY if you want to fly when you dont want to use ur RC because THEN you need a device, in this case the tablet, to communicate with the drone, which is the wifi signal.
Again, if you use ur RC + tablet, you DON'T need wifi on your tablet. And even if you had wifi activated: wifi does NOT use data from your sim card. The data in your sim card is used by 3G/4G from your tablet, which is NOT needed when flying.

Ah got it! I have flown it in the same Beach with no obstructions etc / calibrated / latest firmware etc then the Signal Loss kept coming on hence me having to send it back. Hopefully they'll sort it and I can now save money monthly topping up the Sim
2018-6-12
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer

Shep3522 Posted at 2018-6-12 01:27
Ah got it! I have flown it in the same Beach with no obstructions etc / calibrated / latest firmware etc then the Signal Loss kept coming on hence me having to send it back. Hopefully they'll sort it and I can now save money monthly topping up the Sim

Glad you now understand!
2018-6-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Shep3522 Posted at 2018-6-12 01:27
Ah got it! I have flown it in the same Beach with no obstructions etc / calibrated / latest firmware etc then the Signal Loss kept coming on hence me having to send it back. Hopefully they'll sort it and I can now save money monthly topping up the Sim

Good to know that you had figured it out, thanks for Saviour's help.
And I realized that I should answer it more clear in the future.
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules