New Spark, glitchy software
827 7 2018-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 673 ft
United States

I just got this spark. On the first flight, with the drone hovering at 3 ft, it suddenly decided to send me a text message for a verification token (I presume it was because I was close to an airport, but I had already notified the airport). But the screen was flikcering as if two programs were trying to take control. The screen was unresponsive. I hit the return to home key on the remote control, but that didn't do anything. I tried to grab the spark by hand (since it was only 3 ft up), but it kept moving away from me. Finally, I managed to get the software working, and was able to land it.

On the second flight, the I went up 50 ft and then landed, but the software seemed to be unaware that the drone had landed. It was saying battery was low (48%) and kept asking if I wanted to return to home. I had to power off the phone because I was concerned it might cause the drone to take off again and fly away if I had said yes to return to home.

My basic concern is that the software might act up during midflight and do uncommanded actions to make it fly away. Is there a last resort, failesafe action to return command to the remote control?

2018-6-10
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is ovious you didn't read the manual or watch all the tutorial videos both at dji.com and on youtube. What mobile devise are you using in flying the drone. Is that mobile devise on the recomended dji.com list? Are you flying in a area that is cluttered with interference. You stated that you are flying close to a airport. How close. Contacting the airport will not release RC/drone  restrictions.
2018-6-10
Use props
djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2
lvl.2
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2018-6-10 15:19
It is ovious you didn't read the manual or watch all the tutorial videos both at dji.com and on youtube. What mobile devise are you using in flying the drone. Is that mobile devise on the recomended dji.com list? Are you flying in a area that is cluttered with interference. You stated that you are flying close to a airport. How close. Contacting the airport will not release RC/drone  restrictions.

Actually, your assumption is incorrect. I have watched a large number of tutorials, and I am a cautious flyer. I am also FAA certified. I am about 3 miles from an untowered class G airport. The software did not prevent me from taking off. However, after takeoff, it started asking for a code, which seems backwards to me.  I posted the question here hoping for suggestions; not to be told to go read the manual. What chapter, or page number is this specifically discussed?

Yes, the mobile device is on the list of suggested here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

As far as physical interference there are nothing noteworthy. This was in a wide open field. But I can't speak for electrical interference.
2018-6-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I encountered some issues with the new firmware yesterday, it was the first time flying my Spark since the last release. Immediately I noticed the there was no map image being generated except for a black screen. Next upon takeoff I only attempted to hover in place to run a battery and get the Spark some flight time since getting no activity for over a month. The Spark had a problem drifting and was rising and lowering on its own, as well as flying forward and backward. I landed within 5 minutes of hovering so I'm not entirely sure what other issues exist, but I'll be doing another takeoff and hover soon to see if it was just a 1-time issue or something more serious?
2018-6-10
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2 Posted at 2018-6-10 15:57
Actually, your assumption is incorrect. I have watched a large number of tutorials, and I am a cautious flyer. I am also FAA certified. I am about 3 miles from an untowered class G airport. The software did not prevent me from taking off. However, after takeoff, it started asking for a code, which seems backwards to me.  I posted the question here hoping for suggestions; not to be told to go read the manual. What chapter, or page number is this specifically discussed?

Yes, the mobile device is on the list of suggested here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

i think your case may be a mobile RAM issue.
2018-6-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2 Posted at 2018-6-10 15:57

Yes, the mobile device is on the list of suggested here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

Hello. We apologize that you're having issues with your drone. Is your firmware updated? Is there any error message showing in the app? Have you tried to reinstall the app? What model of the mobile device are you using?
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2
lvl.2
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-6-11 02:01
Hello. We apologize that you're having issues with your drone. Is your firmware updated? Is there any error message showing in the app? Have you tried to reinstall the app? What model of the mobile device are you using?

This is a Motorola Moto G4. I uninstalled and re-installed the app. But I still get frequent app crashes, and significantly delayed video. Even the fresh install crashed on the very first opening. Then, I was flying for about 10 minutes, and the battery was still stuck showing 95%. Then the app crashed with the drone still in the air. The firmware has been updated.
Which Android device would you recommend for best performance for the app?
2018-6-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2 Posted at 2018-6-19 15:14
This is a Motorola Moto G4. I uninstalled and re-installed the app. But I still get frequent app crashes, and significantly delayed video. Even the fresh install crashed on the very first opening. Then, I was flying for about 10 minutes, and the battery was still stuck showing 95%. Then the app crashed with the drone still in the air. The firmware has been updated.
Which Android device would you recommend for best performance for the app?

This is the list of mobile devices that you can use for Spark: https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads
2018-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules