HEVC Codec for 4K TV Playback
3038 10 2015-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr. Clear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232566 ft
United States

My Sony 4K TV supports 4K USB playback using HEVC. I tried to watch P3Pro 4K videos from the SD card with no success. What say you, DJI?
2015-5-14
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Did  you try mov and MP4 files?
2015-5-14
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

I agree with OP.   We need HEVC / H.265.  That's the future for 4K.      

To midi:  mov and mp4 are just the containers.  Nothing to do with compression.    However, it may allow the TV to play using other supported codecs.  

2015-5-24
Use props
dave.abrey
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I just came across this thread, as I have the same problem, i.e. Sony TV will only play 4L via USB if it's HEVC / H.265.

DJI, if it can be done via a firmware update, please make it happen :-).
2015-6-17
Use props
oturn
lvl.1

United States

Same issue here with my Vizio P-Series 4K TV. MOV is not supported. MP4 is supported, but ONLY using H.265 encoding.

At this point I have to convert the native DJI MOV files to H.265 MP4 using Handbrake. This adds roughly 1 hour of processing time for every 15 minutes of video! The result on my TV is stunning, but it's a high price to pay.

Is DJI aware of this issue? Is a firmware update to resolve possible, or likely? Would a call to support better bring this to their attention?
2015-7-11
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

I used Adobe Premiere Elements 13  ($99 retail) to convert MP4 to MP4-H.265 with great results.  On a decent computer doesn't take too long.   After converting use VLC video player to see 4k in all of it glory!  
2015-7-11
Use props
Screenbyte
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi.
Can anybody please tell me there settings for Handbrake elements as I'm trying to do the same thing?
Handbrake goes throught he process but the output files are tiny?
Thanks
2015-8-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

You are going to need a post app to convert. Like the current version of Adobe Premiere Elements. It only costs around $70 U.S. Besides, you will likely want to do some editing anyway if you are going to the trouble of shooting 4K.
2015-8-12
Use props
Screenbyte
lvl.2
United Kingdom

bradneal24 Posted at 2015-8-12 23:58
You are going to need a post app to convert. Like the current version of Adobe Premiere Elements. It ...

Yes you're correct, I could do with a new editing program. Thanks
2015-8-12
Use props
chris.green.ima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13901 ft
  • >>>
United States

oturn Posted at 2015-7-11 10:17
Same issue here with my Vizio P-Series 4K TV. MOV is not supported. MP4 is supported, but ONLY using ...

I'm also trying to use Handbrake to convert 4K inspire video for playback on Vizio.  Can you let me in on the handbrake settings your using?

Thanks
Chris
2015-9-7
Use props
brtoner4
lvl.1
United States

Glad I stumbled on this thread.  I bought a Vizio 4K tv this year and bought the P3 Pro to film in 4K.  Same issue, it will only play H.265 videos.  I will try the Adobe Premiere Elements tonight.  I have tried Handbrake on several occasions but couldn't get decent results.  Would be very interested in knowing the settings everyone else is using to get good results.  

Thanks,

Bill T.
2015-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules