camera troubles
853 14 2018-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

New P4P+, has maybe 5 hours on it.  Camera has become unusable.  The exposure seems to pulse, increase exposure, decrease exposure, over and over again.  Sometimes visible on screen, other times mostly visible on inspection using a waveform monitor.  End result is an unusable product.  Here is a vimeo address so you can check it out.

Anyone else see this behavior?  

Thanks. JM
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

vimeo.com/274552625     Try this address.  The video above is not set to private.  Don't know why it wont allow play.
2018-6-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW Posted at 2018-6-11 19:07
vimeo.com/274552625     Try this address.  The video above is not set to private.  Don't know why it wont allow play.

Try switching to manual colour temperature. The camera does that when the colour temperature setting is in auto.
2018-6-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Have seen this once or twice when focus peaking is set on, but it's not persistent in my case.
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

Thanks all.  I've tried every trick I can think of including all the above.  No joy.  I have had issues with gopro's and color temp.  Setting them to a manual temp solved those issues.  I don't usually use focus peaking but this helped to show some weird problems.  I've seen breathing like this when a lens is hunting for focus but I generally use manual focus.  j
2018-6-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW Posted at 2018-6-11 19:50
Thanks all.  I've tried every trick I can think of including all the above.  No joy.  I have had issues with gopro's and color temp.  Setting them to a manual temp solved those issues.  I don't usually use focus peaking but this helped to show some weird problems.  I've seen breathing like this when a lens is hunting for focus but I generally use manual focus.  j

Have you looked at the video clip on the SD card to see if it is occuring there?
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

Yep, same issue straight off the card.  
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

If the wind ever quits maybe I'll try a different card.  Can't hurt.  I was really looking forward to some great footage, but at the moment this P4P+ is just a very expensive toy.
2018-6-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW Posted at 2018-6-11 19:59
If the wind ever quits maybe I'll try a different card.  Can't hurt.  I was really looking forward to some great footage, but at the moment this P4P+ is just a very expensive toy.

The card will not be the problem, it is a digital recording, it either works or not. It cannot affect the quality in any way. Another thought, are you facing towards the sun when you were shooting?

2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

No the sun  was, and usually is behind or to the side.  Should not be prop strobe.  Certainly something to watch for.
2018-6-11
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

So DJI, does that look like a normal waveform to you?
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

Test one two, test one two.   (thump, thump)  Hello DJI, does that look like a normal waveform to you?
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

Well I think I'm going to call this one solved.  Went through the drone from top to bottom, reset the camera, cleaned the bug guts off the props etc...

The wind quit blowing this evening so the test flight was on.  Flew for a batteries worth and had to quit because the mosquito's were having me for dinner.

Anyway, I excitedly loaded the footage into the super-computer and watched.  Wow, this looks fine.  What the heck, bug guts?  

So I loaded into Vegas 13 to check the waveform mostly as a final check.  Crap, the waveform is jumping a good 10 percent.  Man this just can't be, I just don't see it visually, but there it is big as life on the screen.

So what the heck the super-computer renders like a speed demon  so I rendered out a minute or so of MXF  50 to have a look.

Looked good on visual preview so I loaded the clip back into Vegas.  Nearly perfect waveform.  What the heck.  Well as near as I can tell  Vegas has some sort of problem with properly displaying the 100 megabit footage from the P4P.  The footage is usable.  Is it perfect, no, but for the  money it will pass muster.

So at least for tonight it seems as though the problem is solved.  

Fingers crossed.

John M.
2018-6-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW Posted at 2018-6-12 19:42
Well I think I'm going to call this one solved.  Went through the drone from top to bottom, reset the camera, cleaned the bug guts off the props etc...

The wind quit blowing this evening so the test flight was on.  Flew for a batteries worth and had to quit because the mosquito's were having me for dinner.

Just by way of explanation, this is a user forum. It does have DJI moderators, but they are not technical and have to consult with their colleagues to find answer to technical queries. You are more likely to get answers from the member community. DJI technical people do not participate in the forum.

I switched from Sony Vegas to BlackMagic Resolve some time ago, and have not looked back. Try the free version to see if it suits you.
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_hRZzv67dLdhW
lvl.2
United States

Hi Geebax, I thought I recognized your name from the Sony Vegas forum!  I have to admit I've been tempted to try Resolve.  I've been on Vegas since v4 so its very ... comfortable.  j
2018-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules