Taking drone onto plane
831 13 2018-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BigRoyBoy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106414 ft
Australia

I know when you travel with a drone on a airplane the batteries have to be dischaged down to 1 bar but does the remote have to be discharged also.
2018-6-12
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've flown with my drone internationally and 3 batteries and no one said anything about the batteries.
2018-6-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

When I flew some time back was asked not to bring batteries onto plane fully charged, so all including RC were fully discharged first
2018-6-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Good question.  Probably wouldn't hurt to error on safe side and have RC drained down to 33% in case some authority would ask you to turn it on.

One thing I would not do - During takeoff pull RC out, start acting like you are flying plane, and then blurt out:  Oh ____, the battery is dead!  
2018-6-12
Use props
jerrytko1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 280722 ft
United Kingdom

I flew to Italy with mavic air and no problem at all. Just for your own peace have batteries at 50-75%. Nobody checked mine but i had them all at 75% just to avoid problem.
2018-6-12
Use props
BigRoyBoy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106414 ft
Australia

What about the controller that is what I am asking. Do I need to discharge it also.
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_YAQmzIe6O9kg
lvl.1

I'm in Sweden from us on vacation and remote was fully powered with no issues
2018-6-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, Be aware of the custom's rules for the country of entry and the country of return as some countries where drones are restricted have been known to confiscate them at customs.
2018-6-13
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
United Arab Emirates

The FAA regulations apply for the loose batteries.  However its better to be safe.
2018-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BigRoyBoy Posted at 2018-6-12 23:27
What about the controller that is what I am asking. Do I need to discharge it also.

Most airlines have rules and restrictions regarding lipo batteries, but small drone batteries are not a problem and I haven’t seen any case where batteries have been taken off people, I have flown more than 20 times to various countries with sometimes up to 10 batteries and a couple of RC I have never had any questions regarding batteries.
So you will have no problem with RC or batteries.
2018-6-13
Use props
Mavic Dave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41161 ft
United Kingdom

Just back from trip to Canada which involved international flight from Dublin to Toronto.  Internal flight from Toronto to Calgary.  Internal flight from Vancouver to Toronto and international flight from Toronto to Dublin.  I had a backback with the Mavic Air+2 spare batteries in Lipo case, I also carried a Panasonic camera and Gopro Hero 5 with 2 spare batteries.  Everything was fully charged and I carried it on board.

No issues at all, I did not have to open bag.
2018-6-13
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-12 20:35
Good question.  Probably wouldn't hurt to error on safe side and have RC drained down to 33% in case some authority would ask you to turn it on.

One thing I would not do - During takeoff pull RC out, start acting like you are flying plane, and then blurt out:  Oh ____, the battery is dead!

i can see the looks now ....lol
2018-6-13
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

You can be more worried about the problems with powerbanks, if any. For example, was controlled in Thailand internal flight! ( restriction is not more, than 32000mAh)
2018-6-13
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

I just  flew from West Palm Beach to Baltimore and then from there to Pittsburgh.
They seen the TSA lock on it bright orange and the FAA registration on the front.
Never asked about batteries which i had in a battery case down to 1 light  or what was in it. But I followed all the southwest airline rules and
had zero issues. I think the TSA lock gave it away knowing they could open it if needed to.
The only time I was asked was on my way back from Pittsburgh but still never had to open it. I think as long as you follow there rules you should have no problems at least from
the airline side.

Just my input.
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules