Battery "Break-In"
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott.rich
lvl.2

United States

Let me start with - I am new to the Phantom world and still waiting on my P3P to be delivered.  I have seen several threads on different forums and a couple of YouTube videos about "breaking in new Lipo batteries" - the only 10 min for the first 10 flights rule of thumb.  But I haven't seen anything in the DJI manuals about this or any other DJI official note about it.  

Is this battery break-in a real requirement or a hold-over from older Lipo battery technology?  

Thanks for the help.
2015-5-15
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Might be.  Heres my experience.  I did the '10/10' on five batts. All good, will not be able to see if it actually extends the life of them for quite a bit.  HOWEVER one of the batts totally bricked was sent back to DJI for replacement.  I've not seen any scientific evidence that this actuality does anything for these batts. Im skeptical.  I think the nature of them and the fact that many here have had various issues with their batts regardless of whether they did this exercise or not. A bit of voodoo, but I did it anyway
2015-5-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-5-15 21:51
Might be.  Heres my experience.  I did the '10/10' on five batts. All good, will not be able to see  ...

Where did you get so many batteries?
2015-5-15
Use props
jayson
lvl.1

United States

Real. LiPos are shipped with a chemical to allow for long periods of storage, ie so they can sit on the shelf without being used and not degrade the cells. This chemical is broken down in the first 5-10 cycles.
2015-5-15
Use props
Gandalf001
lvl.1

United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-5-15 21:51
Might be.  Heres my experience.  I did the '10/10' on five batts. All good, will not be able to see  ...

Did you recharge battery after 10 minute fly back to full for first 10 flights?
2015-5-15
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The battery break-in seems to be a new trend for the Phantom 3. When the Phantom Vision was released, nobody was talking about breaking in batteries. And, the new Phantom manual still makes no mention of this. For those reasons, I don't think it's necessary for Phantom batteries.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-15
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

http://youtu.be/jW-LGcuVchQ
2015-5-15
Use props
scott.rich
lvl.2

United States

Raybro - I've watched that DroneCamps video but I would really like to hear from one of the DJI Reps that hang out in these forums.  What is DJI's position on breaking in a new battery?
2015-5-15
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Interesting. I never did this.

I charged it to 100% when I got it. Flew - but only down to 30%-ish. I rarely-to-never go below 20% and start landing at 25% (sometimes higher).

Battery Health is still 100% after 38 flights with the one and only battery I have (that came with the P3Pro, extra battery on the way but they can't supply them just yet).

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules