12Next >
2162 48 2018-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240702 ft
  • >>>

Arrived at Havana Airport from Panama City.
They immediately do an inspection of all arrivals including carry on baggages, Mavic Pro was found. Had me go into a secondary screening line, waited 3 hours for them to fill up paperwork. They told me my drone would be retained at the airport, and i could pick it up upon my departure.

Day of departure come to the airport early. Wait another 3 hours for them to find the drone. Noticed flight was about to depart, long story short they told me they couldnt find the drone. I hope the Castro family enjoys my Mavic Pro. So sad, she traveled with me around the globe and got some great footage

Yes i was foolish to bring the drone with me.

Filed a claim with Travel Guard (trip insurance) but got denied since the drone was seized by customs

Here is the last flight of my Mavic Pro, at the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal -

2018-6-14
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

What a pity! Sorry for your lost drone. This is the reason why i am so worry to bring drone with me when travel. Hope you can get other one soon. Nice video also.
2018-6-14
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

Optimus Prime-Mavic Air Posted at 2018-6-14 16:13
What a pity! Sorry for your lost drone. This is the reason why i am so worry to bring drone with me when travel. Hope you can get other one soon. Nice video also.

Thanks!
Yea i was worried at first, but prior to Cuba i was able to successfully bring the Mavic Pro to the following cities, with no problems: Seoul, Melbourne, Istanbul, Lisbon, Manila, Taipei and many cities in the US including a Disney Cruise ship!

I already purchased the Mavic Air, but returning it. Most likely going with the Platinum
2018-6-14
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

That's unfortunate and sorry to hear. You should write the Airport and document your property was not returned.
2018-6-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

They stole it...  just like customs used to steal (claimed seizure) of  iPhones and iPads until Apple enabled activation lock and blocking use of stolen items.

Was a global thing.. even stealing them out of bags... almost over night it came crashing down because Apple blocked and locked things down...  
2018-6-14
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very sorry to hear this.  I am sure it is the same guy that took it from you that went by the next day or even that same day and took it.  They know they can get away with this.  Should not be the case and the guy that took it should go to jail.
2018-6-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Sorry for what happened on your drone, you might coordinate this issue to the airport and let see what they can do with this kind of scenario, Anyways it's amazing footage, hope they can find a solution to get back your drone.
2018-6-14
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Can DJI trace and the drone when requested by owner? We need to activate the drone by DJI account. So DJI has the owner information to verify request.

Or can add protection function in drone. If not fly by the registered DJI account it need to reactivated by approval code. The approval code can be generated by DJI Go logon with original owner account.
2018-6-14
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

It's a shame to loose your drone like that.
Your last flight with the MP was really great.
2018-6-14
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Maybe there's member/s here in our community that's resides in that area and can claim the drone for you?
Worth a shot.
2018-6-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-6-14 16:45
They stole it...  just like customs used to steal (claimed seizure) of  iPhones and iPads until Apple enabled activation lock and blocking use of stolen items.

Was a global thing.. even stealing them out of bags... almost over night it came crashing down because Apple blocked and locked things down...

Why DJI should seriously considering adding a Electronic Lock on their drones.  With six to eight chars / digits for combo.
No combo, No fly.
2018-6-14
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-14 17:50
Why DJI should seriously considering adding a Electronic Lock on their drones.  With six to eight chars / digits for combo.
No combo, No fly.

and the technology is already in the drone, they would just need to harness it.  they can just enable a code to activate the NFZ settings.  without code, drone is effectively in NFZ. and will not take off.   Only way to remove code block is to remove from registration (as with apple find my iphone)

But who are we fooling?  does anyone here think this is on the road map as a feature??
2018-6-14
Use props
Gaijin
lvl.2

Japan

AnDiego Air Posted at 2018-6-14 16:19
Thanks!
Yea i was worried at first, but prior to Cuba i was able to successfully bring the Mavic Pro to the following cities, with no problems: Seoul, Melbourne, Istanbul, Lisbon, Manila, Taipei and many cities in the US including a Disney Cruise ship!

I am curious, why did you return the Mavic Air? Signal issues?
2018-6-14
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-14 16:57
Sorry for what happened on your drone, you might coordinate this issue to the airport and let see what they can do with this kind of scenario, Anyways it's amazing footage, hope they can find a solution to get back your drone.

Tony, I don't think you've been to Cuba!  There's no solution to be had.  
2018-6-14
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-14 17:50
Why DJI should seriously considering adding a Electronic Lock on their drones.  With six to eight chars / digits for combo.
No combo, No fly.

convenience.  if the aircraft by default is bounded to 1 account and locked on firmware/server activation level to a single DJi account.   would by default lock out unauthorized aircraft usage.  and an option in app (behind a pin code system) to release the lock/reset account activation if you are going to resell the drone..

simple pass-code system will slow down theift until someone finds a way around it..however pin-code/pass-code systems were a thing on iPhone during peak stealing... wasn't until apple on very low level of hardware created a locking system to completely disables the phone and even blocks restoring and DFU unless unlocked.

better option is in app and firmware.  say the drone is seized at corrupt airport, and stolen..maybe kids knocked it out of the sky somehow and claim it as theirs...etc etc.. someone connects it up to their dji go app, all seems well but account details mismatch, and the aircraft is locked down because of bad account info and defaults to total NFZ..  maybe another trick can be done is 0% battery indicated on all batteries installed the drone knows real power level but it intentionally misreads so even if they found a way around NFZ system somehow like covered GPS or found an app to fly in Atti mode or something crazy, still blocked...  to prevent someone from re flashing it or jail-breaking it out of a lock.. the USB can be locked too..pretty simple to add a pass lock to a usb controller IC in most cases..no communication unless a handshake is made a certain way..
2018-6-14
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I believe lock down drone if you lost is a good way, if you register your bird with authorities and lose it, someone use that to do illegal thing and you will have a little trouble. That's why i believe lock drone until origin owner unlock it is a good way.
2018-6-15
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

locking down the drone would be a great thing, once it was known there would not be any interest in stealing a drone.
2018-6-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - one reason I am yet to take a drone abroad
2018-6-15
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Sorry about your drone loss, really sucks.   There are a lot of electronics that are not allowed into Cuba and anyone traveling there needs to know that what is allowed and not allowed can change depending who is working the customs line that day.  Makes it difficult to know what is safe to bring into the country.   Unfortunately there is no hope of getting your drone back, just the way that country works.
2018-6-15
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

Gaijin Posted at 2018-6-14 18:30
I am curious, why did you return the Mavic Air? Signal issues?

Signal issues. Also didnt think the battery life would really matter, but its a big difference compared to the Mavic Pro. Not as stable in windy conditions....

I really love its compact size tho... Sad
2018-6-15
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

Far_North Posted at 2018-6-15 03:59
Sorry about your drone loss, really sucks.   There are a lot of electronics that are not allowed into Cuba and anyone traveling there needs to know that what is allowed and not allowed can change depending who is working the customs line that day.  Makes it difficult to know what is safe to bring into the country.   Unfortunately there is no hope of getting your drone back, just the way that country works.

Sadly yes, shes gone. Which is why i bought a MA, but returning it. Might go with the Pro Platinum
2018-6-15
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-6-15 03:05
Sorry to read that - one reason I am yet to take a drone abroad

Dont! Ive brought the MP to many countries outside the USA, no problems until Cuba.

Drones are meant to fly!
2018-6-15
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks!

Curious how you got it on the DCL Ship?  Drones are currently on their prohibited list. I’m wanting to take mine on an October cruise to fly in Bermuda.
2018-6-15
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

TX99517 Posted at 2018-6-15 11:57
Curious how you got it on the DCL Ship?  Drones are currently on their prohibited list. I’m wanting to take mine on an October cruise to fly in Bermuda.

I went May 2017, Fort Lauderdale port. Had no issued, i didnt even know it was on the prohibited list or maybe wasnt at the time

Had an awesome flight on Castaway Cay, best signal ever. Whatever the max altitude of the Mavic Pro is, i hit it there.
2018-6-15
Use props
michaelts
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Why did the insurer refuse to cover the loss? Sounds like an affirmative theft to me. What does the insurance policy say?
2018-6-15
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

michaelts Posted at 2018-6-15 13:00
Why did the insurer refuse to cover the loss? Sounds like an affirmative theft to me. What does the insurance policy say?

Since it was taken by customs, basically all bets are off. Even if customs lost it, the fact that it was taken by them resulted in a decline for the claim
2018-6-15
Use props
michaelts
lvl.2
United States

AnDiego Air Posted at 2018-6-15 13:09
Since it was taken by customs, basically all bets are off. Even if customs lost it, the fact that it was taken by them resulted in a decline for the claim

You said that the customs did not confiscate it, but rather made a promise that they would return it. You relied on that promise when you agreed to leave the drone in their possession. You have the paperwork, i.e. evidence of that arrangement. The evidence proves the drone was not seized or confiscated, but actually stolen by the customs. Does the policy cover theft ? If yes, does it specifically exclude theft by the customs? I think you might have a claim against the insurer.
2018-6-15
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
  • >>>

AnDiego Air Posted at 2018-6-15 12:53
I went May 2017, Fort Lauderdale port. Had no issued, i didnt even know it was on the prohibited list or maybe wasnt at the time

Had an awesome flight on Castaway Cay, best signal ever. Whatever the max altitude of the Mavic Pro is, i hit it there. [view_image][view_image][view_image]

Yeah, they have definitely changed the policy. I was just on the Magic in January out of Miami and at the port port entrance was a sign that said drones are prohibited on DCL and Castaway Cay.
2018-6-25
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
  • >>>

AnDiego Air Posted at 2018-6-15 12:53

Had an awesome flight on Castaway Cay, best signal ever. Whatever the max altitude of the Mavic Pro is, i hit it there. [view_image][view_image][view_image]

January at Miami Port and CC. I understand their reasoning but I’d love to get drone footage of CC.
EF00C3F8-2906-407E-8E0A-6B0DF9C16FC0.jpeg
E0EF574C-0FC7-40C0-9DC6-BEFF5A2D9E70.jpeg
2018-6-25
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks!

Sad story, useful though as a warning for users. You not a fan of the Mav Air?
2018-6-25
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Oh that is so sh*tty. I am very afraid of travelling with my Mavic because this. I hope DJI does something like remote lock in case of robbery to help end this
2018-6-25
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

i just got back from travelling with my drone. I split everything up to make it as awkward as possible for any tempted customs officers.  
officers to take advantage of my drone.d drone body in a protective case (without battery) and remote go in checked.  I carry on the batteries and props and charger.
2018-6-25
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

ShadyDealer Posted at 2018-6-25 11:41
Sad story, useful though as a warning for users. You not a fan of the Mav Air?

Just returned my Mavic Air. I loved the size, but overall couldnt trust it doing any noteworthy flight missions. Probably gonna  get the Mavic Platinum now, or possibly try another run at the MA. A few forum members mentioned the production run may have been the culprit in the issues i had
2018-6-25
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

Celsus Posted at 2018-6-25 13:44
i just got back from travelling with my drone. I split everything up to make it as awkward as possible for any tempted customs officers.  
officers to take advantage of my drone.d drone body in a protective case (without battery) and remote go in checked.  I carry on the batteries and props and charger.

Good idea, i will do this moving forward!
2018-6-25
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

TX99517 Posted at 2018-6-25 11:39
January at Miami Port and CC. I understand their reasoning but I’d love to get drone footage of CC.

Wow thanks for this! Suck tho...
I guess they mustve recently added these signs. Going on the Alaska sailing in August....i was gonna bring one but maybe not anymore

Did you find out if the security at least hold onto the drone during the sailing? I cant imagine Disney outright taking drones
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

AnDiego Air Posted at 2018-6-25 13:48
Just returned my Mavic Air. I loved the size, but overall couldnt trust it doing any noteworthy flight missions. Probably gonna  get the Mavic Platinum now, or possibly try another run at the MA. A few forum members mentioned the production run may have been the culprit in the issues i had

If you get a Mavic Pro / Pro Platinum, I would recommend holding off on upgrading it to Firmware .0300.
No problems with .0100 or .0100.
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

TX99517 Posted at 2018-6-25 11:39

Geez, what got Mickey's panties in a bunch!?
2018-6-25
Use props
AnDiego Air
lvl.2
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-25 14:07
If you get a Mavic Pro / Pro Platinum, I would recommend holding off on upgrading it to Firmware .0300.
No problems with .0100 or .0100.

Appreciate you.
What issues is firmware .0300 having?
2018-6-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

AnDiego Air Posted at 2018-6-25 14:09
Appreciate you.
What issues is firmware .0300 having?

When I load Firmware .0300 on my Mavic Pro Platinum, the Live view on CrystalSky starts Pixelating, smearing, and/or breaking  up.  Go back to Firmware .0200, and problem goes away.  
Re-upgrade to .0300, and Live view problems return.  Revert back to .0200, and Live view returns to normal crystal clear on CrystalSky.

The Pixelating, smearing, and/or breaking will occur whether Mavic Pro Platinum is hundreds of feet away, or 30 feet away in front of me 15-feet up.
2018-6-25
Use props
djiuser_7GQDtJ49b6jw
New

France

That's just wrong. I would fight your insurance for it. It was clearly stolen. The fact you were forced to leave it at customs with the promise of return doesn't mean it is not a theft.
2018-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules