3239 10 2015-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Autumn, Tahoe_Ed, SOMEBODY?

I have sent 10 emails to all kinds of DJI addresses, and made 4 phone calls today. I keep getting passed around like a hot potato, and still, nobody has solved my problem.

Here is the issue: I live downtown Chicago, IL. There is a local park, on the shoreline of Lake Michigan, that is a very popular RC flying field. It also happens to be the former location of an airport called Meigs Field (Meigs Airport) that was closed 12 years ago and turned into a park, called Northerly Island.

The problem is, DJI's database still thinks this is an Meigs Airport, and will not allow me to fly there. It is not an airport anymore - believe me, I go there all the time.

Here is a current Google Earth shot of what the place actually looks like.

Every email I send (results in a response to go to the DJI Fly Safe web site, or to submit another email to yet another part of DJI.

So far, I have tried several emails each to:

flysafe@dji.com and us.support@dji.com, and have filled out three different online forms.

The DJI folks in California try to help on the phone, but even escalating to their highest level, they tell me this is something that needs to be handled by Engineering in China, and then I start the merry go round again.

I would really like to return to flying at Northerly Island, or at least to fly there without having to perform an aluminum foil lobotomy on this formerly state of the art drone.

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 5.07.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 4.54.30 PM copy.jpg
2015-5-15
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Oh, and BTW, every time they tell me to check the DJI Fly Safe web site, I get a reply from DJI telling me they have "solved and closed my ticket", despite the fact that they have solved NOTHING. Must mean I am single-handedly assisting them to meet their performance measures by allowing them to "solve" so many issues.
2015-5-15
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN SANTO DOMINGO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, PLEASE KEEP US POSTED IF YOU GET A SOLUTION!

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14514
2015-5-15
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Leo, I'm not holding my breath, because, including this note, I'm over 10 attempts to have somebody solve this problem. If I hear anything, I'll report here. Hopefully, Tahoe_Ed or Autumn will weigh in.
2015-5-15
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

Nobody from DJI wants to weigh in?
2015-5-16
Use props
colin.hinkle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 767411 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in Chicago and feel your pain. I too have sent emails along with all of my friends. That was my first spot to fly a DJI product and I am so angry I cannot fly there anymore
2015-5-16
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

This is bad :@
2015-5-16
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

colin.hinkle@gm Posted at 2015-5-17 12:10
I live in Chicago and feel your pain. I too have sent emails along with all of my friends. That was  ...

Colin, keep emailing, and tell your friends to do the same. I'm sending emails every day. Eventually, SOMEBODY might pay attention. I told the dude on the phone the other day that Northerly Island is the only place downtown where the crowds are usually spare enough to fly safely, that DJI is, by perpetuating this error, forcing us out into Grant Park, which is a LOT more crowded.
2015-5-17
Use props
privateoffice
lvl.1

Germany

And here is my story and mail to flysafe@dji.com with unfortunately 2 attempts without ANY!! reply - not the announced 24h support especialy in a case like this!?!
- wrong!! (old) airport=no fly zone  new one="unprotected"!!

Hope Tahoe_Ed or anybody else here has a more direct wire to the responsible people of the DJI flysafe Team as they ignore me

Jan

P.S.: I know that this is posted also in a different thread "No Fly Zones" - but what else can I do, if DJI ignores me to attract their attention?!?

Hello DJI Flysafe team,

I need to inform you about a serious mistake you made with the Inspire FW Update 15.02.regarding the implemented no-fly-zones here in Germany!

I work at the new! airport of Kassel-Calden and btw. do own a DJI Inspire. When I updated my firmware yesterday to new version 15.02. I realized that you choosed the "old" airport of Kassel-Calden (closed since 2013) instead of the new one (international airport code KSF) with these coordinates:

51° 25′ 10″ N, 9° 23′ 20″ O

250 m ü. MSL

- see Wikipedia for more information or contact me as I work there: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassel_Airport

I attach a screenshot out of your no-fly-zone page, where you can see the actual situation - red circle is the old one (completely closed for any traffic since spring 2013 and so no need for a no-fly-zone!) and green circle the new one, what needs a no-fly-zone if I follow your idea of necessary restrictions.

As I run a drone building business at the old airport it is VERY IMPORTANT for me to make my test flights with customer build drones there, what would be out of a no-fly-zone, if you correct your mistake!! - because before I choosed that place I informed myself and talked to the airport owners and German aviation authority, that I won't have any problems to make low test flights there, as the distance is wide enough, but now you came up with your mistake and complicate my life, because Phantoms and Inspire don't start there in GPS mode, because you created a wrong no-fly-zone!

So please correct this a.s.a.p. - should be in your interest as well, because the new airport, what is in daily charge is now without any of your no-fly-zone "protection".

2015-5-19
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
United States

I send them the same email every morning, and nothing happens. Just bombard them, and maybe eventually they will pay attention?
2015-5-19
Use props
hudster80
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2885423 ft
United States

Same problem here as well. There was an airpark that was closed 20 years ago by my parents' house. I cannot fly my phantom either. They need to do some massive updating to their No Fly Zone data...
2016-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules