Radar view supposed to stop rotating while in GPS mode?
1336 8 2018-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tirpoverzero
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I asked DJI support for help with this and got an unexpected answer.

I'm having a problem where the radar view (circle with red arrow and (H) home marker inside, and (N) North marker on the edge) stops rotating along with the iPad's compass, but only stops when the Mavic is in GPS mode.  I'm almost certain that this used to work for me, but stopped working at some point in the last few months.

How I think this is supposed to work:
- The Mavic's compass controls the direction of the red arrow, to show which way the aircraft is pointing.
- The Mavic's GPS controls where the red arrow/aircraft is located on the radar.
- The iPad's compass controls the rotation of the whole radar circle, with (N) always pointing to the North, so you can quickly see where the Mavic is relative to where you are standing/pointing

But for some reason, whenever the Mavic enters GPS mode, the radar circle immediately locks with (N) 90 degrees to the right, and no longer rotates/responds to the iPad's movements.  If I take the Mavic inside, and it enters ATTI mode, the radar circle goes back to responding to my iPad's rotations.

I'm running the latest DJI GO4 app, latest iOS, and and the latest Mavic firmware version.

When I asked DJI, they said the following:

"We do apologize for the confusion caused you regarding to the Radar of the aircraft.
You don't need to worry about it. The Radar appears on the app is the compass of the aircraft.
If the aircraft didn't received any signals, the Radar will takes place for us to know where the location of the aircraft is and when the aircraft already received a signal, it won't rely to the Radar anymore."

So am I incorrect about how this is supposed to work?  Does anyone have their radar working, such that rotating your controller rotates the radar view, even when in GPS mode?

Thanks for helping me figure out whether or not I'm going crazy!

2018-6-17
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Same happened to me awhile ago. Put a compass app on you ipad to make sure ipad compass is calibrated. I was using the Ipad mini 4 and found if the HOME button on the Ipad was to the right (next to my right hand) the radar would jam up as soon as I had GPS. After awhile I turned my mini Ipad so the home button was on the LEFT hand side and radar works all the time now. Use the Ipad compass app FIRST to make sure Ipad compass is accurate .
2018-6-17
Use props
tirpoverzero
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 2018-6-17 11:51
Same happened to me awhile ago. Put a compass app on you ipad to make sure ipad compass is calibrated. I was using the Ipad mini 4 and found if the HOME button on the Ipad was to the right (next to my right hand) the radar would jam up as soon as I had GPS. After awhile I turned my mini Ipad so the home button was on the LEFT hand side and radar works all the time now. Use the Ipad compass app FIRST to make sure Ipad compass is accurate .

Thanks.  The compass stays well calibrated the whole time.  But somehow the radar locks with (N) to the right very consistently, exactly (and only) when the Mavic is in GPS mode.
2018-6-17
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

tirpoverzero Posted at 2018-6-17 13:05
Thanks.  The compass stays well calibrated the whole time.  But somehow the radar locks with (N) to the right very consistently, exactly (and only) when the Mavic is in GPS mode.

Have you tried the HOME button on the Ipad on the left hand side yet. If you have and it still does not work try this: Start up the RC and then the Mavic...... have your Ipad turned on but not plugged in yet. Wait until you see GPS mode on the Mavic controller and then plug Ipad in and open Go App.....If radar is still not working .... pick up the Mavic and turn it clockwise or anti clockwise and see if the radar corrects itself on the Go App
2018-6-17
Use props
tirpoverzero
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DINGO DOWN UNDA Posted at 2018-6-17 18:10
Have you tried the HOME button on the Ipad on the left hand side yet. If you have and it still does not work try this: Start up the RC and then the Mavic...... have your Ipad turned on but not plugged in yet. Wait until you see GPS mode on the Mavic controller and then plug Ipad in and open Go App.....If radar is still not working .... pick up the Mavic and turn it clockwise or anti clockwise and see if the radar corrects itself on the Go App

Thanks, yes I always fly with the home button to the left left.  (The problem is not the compass calibration -- it is still calibrated and other apps can respond to it fine at these times.)  And I've tried all combinations of startup/connection order.  And I certainly try rotating both the mavic and the controller.  Rotating the mavic rotates the red triangle. But when the mavic has GPS, then rotating the controller does not rotate the radar.  But whenever mavic loses GPS (like taking it inside), the radar view immediately begins responding properly again, rotating along with the controller.
2018-6-18
Use props
tdcsf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100833 ft
United States

I'm seeing the exact same thing with my iPhone Xs Max and Mavic 2 Pro.  Doesn't happen with my two iPads
2018-11-29
Use props
tdcsf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100833 ft
United States

OMG OMG OMG.

I FOUND THE ISSUE.

Under Settings -> Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services (very bottom) there is a setting switch for Compass Calibration. This is used to allow the compass to calibrate based on the device location.  Turning this off will prevent the radar from updating the device compass once GPS is locked.  Presumably, there is some code path change that DJI is using under that mode.  Turning this on will fix the issue.  I've tested on my phone and iPad. I don't see any reason why one wouldn't want the setting on in any case.  Very happy.

https://stackoverflow.com/questi ... using-core-location
2018-11-29
Use props
Francois112584
New
Flight distance : 94429 ft
France

tdcsf Posted at 2018-11-29 17:04
OMG OMG OMG.

I FOUND THE ISSUE.

Thank you very much for you solution. I had the same problem and you have fix the issue !!!

Again thank you very much
2019-2-18
Use props
ToRuLaS
New
Dominican Republic

tdcsf Posted at 2018-11-29 17:04
OMG OMG OMG.

I FOUND THE ISSUE.

Hello, thanks finally i got the solution after read many many forums....

But let me say i start fly with the option off and radar dont work i had to put on then work. So the issue solved when moved the buttom to off or on when Drone, RC and app is turn on
THANKS VERY MUCH

2019-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules