Phantom 3 range vs Inspire 1
1886 11 2015-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

Having had both but i1 in the shop.  Flying in the same places I say the phantom 3 has equal to or better range then i1.. I don't run at limit but just times I see weak signal seem be less.  I need get the i1 back to confirm anything. Anybody else have thoughts?
2015-5-15
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

Not sure about the Inspire but I do believe that the P3's antenna is in its landing gear.  
2015-5-15
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I've heard reports of both, which makes me think it averages out and is probably the same.

I have the P3 and Inspire but haven't done extreme distance tests on either yet.   Most of my flying is within about 500M.
2015-5-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Brandon00151 Posted at 2015-5-16 14:38
Not sure about the Inspire but I do believe that the P3's antenna is in its landing gear.

I thought I read somewhere that those two antennas on the remote - one is for the 2.4 GHz signal to control the craft and the other antenna is for the 5.8 GHz to control the LightBridge system.
2015-5-16
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-17 07:52
I thought I read somewhere that those two antennas on the remote - one is for the 2.4 GHz signal t ...

Well I meant the antenna for the receiver on the quad itself
2015-5-16
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

All I can say is, I've been very impressed with the range/connection quality of the P3Pro

I have not done any range tests and don't do extreme-range-flying. But what I have noticed is that the video connection stays good for my flying (I've yet to be further away than 591 meters). Lightbridge works great.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-16
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

heard from a few sources who do run to limits that P3 is getting slightly better range.. wouldn't be surpired if advancements in lightbridge were incorporated in the design.
2015-5-19
Use props
jbrazda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1781102 ft
United States

http://youtu.be/A61tD9n0xcY
2015-5-19
Use props
annoyboyPicture
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

I've been flying my P3 in Sri Lanka (South Asia) for about 6 Months now and I get consistently a Weak Signal Cut off at around the 500 Meter distance mark.  I've tested it at different heights, and even with no obstruction between the RC and the Drone for a height of around 100-200 meters it still cuts off at 500 Meters Distance?   I bought one of those Range extenders with the aluminum foil and that has helped extend the range but isnt the RC signal supposed to be good upto 1200 meters?  Any idea why I have so little Range on my P3?
2016-3-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own both and the about the same, the only difference I see is when out in wide open country the p3 goes a little farther.
2016-3-1
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like the others here I have both and I don't see any great difference. Both of them are fantastic. You have the best of both worlds. Now the problem is which one do I want to fly today
2016-3-1
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own both the original Inspire 1 and the P3P.  I do occasional long distance flying.  I fly stock equipment with the simple addition of a high-quality $30 parabolic reflector (from a Chinese eBay vendor) that slips over the upright parallel antennae of the Remote Controller for either aircraft.  In open landscape with no trees or buildings blocking signal, I can fly the Inspire out as far as 23,000 feet (4.4 miles) and with the P3P I can go out as far as 14,000 feet (2.6 miles).  In both cases, it is aircraft battery life and not RC or HD-Link video signal strength that determines maximum distance.

In P-mode, the Inspire can fly 38-39 mph in 0 mph wind and at 23,000 feet (4.4 miles out) the battery level has dropped to 52%. It is important to start with a recently fully-charged battery reading 98+%.
In P-mode, the P3Pro can fly 27 mph in 0 mph wind and at 14,000 feet out the battery has dropped to 52%. It is important to start with a recently fully-charged battery reading 98+%.

You can fly with wind, but you must be VERY careful.  I strongly recommend always flying into the wind when going for maximum distance runs, because your maximum inbound return home velocity with tail wind will be greater (27 mph + wind speed) than your outbound velocity into head wind (27 mph - wind speed) and you should have sufficient remaining battery power to get home turning around at 52+% battery level.

Honestly, in both cases I rarely lose more than 1 or 2 bars of signal strength even at max. distance out with the parabolic reflector.  It is critical to keep the antennas pointed straight up (perpendicular to ground) with parabolic reflector pointed in the direction of the aircraft +/- 10 degrees and to use a custom, fixed HD channel with low interference (I almost always use Channel 20) and set the HD video transmission to the lowest bit rate to maximize HD-Link range.  Remember, at great distances trees or even single-story buildings 2 blocks away can block the signal between the RC and the aircraft.  Most of my long-distance flights are done between 200-400 feet altitude over undeveloped farmland. Maximum distances were achieved flying straight out with minimal course adjustments until battery hit 52% and then turning 180 degrees and returning directly home.  Battery level at landing is typically 8-12%.

I have found that the Inspire 1 tends to sometimes lose signal strength momentarily when turning 180 degrees at great distances from RC, while the P3P typically does not.
2016-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules