My first video.
533 17 2018-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ross1154
lvl.2
Flight distance : 64383 ft
United Kingdom

I had limited footage but i had to give this a go. I know its not great editing but there is some nice views. Next time I think I will just record for the whole flight to have more footage to choose from. Hopefully the editing will get better as well

2018-6-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent first vid Ross. What stunning Scottish scenery
2018-6-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Crongratulations for this beautiful first video! You'll discover a lot of possibilities over time. Thank you for sharing!
2018-6-18
Use props
M K ULTRA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5778337 ft
United States

Nice start!  I would agree that you should record everything.  The person and dog along the shoreline might make an interesting "point of interest".   Also, don't forget to get some still images.  I see a lot of beautiful  scenery to capture.  
2018-6-18
Use props
Ross1154
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M K ULTRA Posted at 2018-6-18 13:44
Nice start!  I would agree that you should record everything.  The person and dog along the shoreline might make an interesting "point of interest".   Also, don't forget to get some still images.  I see a lot of beautiful  scenery to capture.

Thanks, i posted some still images earlier. Maybe I should also have put some of them into this video.
Its a starting point for me, never done any editing before so hopefully my next effort is a little better. From now on though I will record the full flight. The more video to choose from the better I feel.
2018-6-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Ross1154 Posted at 2018-6-18 13:47
Thanks, i posted some still images earlier. Maybe I should also have put some of them into this video.
Its a starting point for me, never done any editing before so hopefully my next effort is a little better. From now on though I will record the full flight. The more video to choose from the better I feel.

Exactly, and there can always be unexpected "lucky" shots like e.g. a beautiful bird flying by or Nessie suddenly surfacing and waving to you ;-)
2018-6-18
Use props
Ross1154
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-6-18 13:50
Exactly, and there can always be unexpected "lucky" shots like e.g. a beautiful bird flying by or Nessie suddenly surfacing and waving to you ;-)

Ha ha, Nessie must be somewhere. Do you need to stop recording to take still images or can the MA do both at the same time?
2018-6-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Ross1154 Posted at 2018-6-18 13:52
Ha ha, Nessie must be somewhere. Do you need to stop recording to take still images or can the MA do both at the same time?

I have no doubt that Nessie is somewhere ;-) For pictures/filming it's either or. People are asking for the feature to have both at the same time, but from my technical understanding that would require two cameras.
2018-6-18
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

For your first edit this is great. I love the clouds shadows on the ground.

If you want to receive a little friendly criticism, here's some.
Try to be a little more gentle on the controller sticks... slower and not as jerky. You can change aircraft/gimbal settings for making that easier. Video settings - ISO 100 - shutter speed, twice the chosen fps - use of ND filters for the camera.
2018-6-18
Use props
Ross1154
lvl.2
United Kingdom

FlyDK Posted at 2018-6-18 14:03
For your first edit this is great. I love the clouds shadows on the ground.

If you want to receive a little friendly criticism, here's some.

Thanks, only got the drone last week and today was the third time flying it properly. I hope to improve on the piloting skills
2018-6-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Congrats on your first video. Nice done
2018-6-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice first one
I never record my whole flight.
I just think of what I want to film and take those shots.

Some  little piece of advice from my side:
- If you include motion in your footage : make it slow and continuous. So not like 0:31 where you make a random, fast pan, stop and move on. Try to make them slow and don't stop until your shot is finished.
- If you are unhappy with a shot. Just fly back and try over and over again (I have to do this most of the times )
2018-6-18
Use props
Ross1154
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-6-18 22:25
Nice first one
I never record my whole flight.
I just think of what I want to film and take those shots.

good advice, ill give it a go.
2018-6-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ross1154 Posted at 2018-6-19 02:47
good advice, ill give it a go.

You're welcome!
2018-6-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice first video!  Very well done.  I also agree that you should record everything.  I've gotten into the habit of hitting record either right after take off, or right before.  I dump the footage from the aircraft after the day is over and that is when the editing (or deleting) happens.
As a new pilot, I have found that to be less distracting.  I just record everything so i can just focus on the flight.  I find myself visualizing specific scenes, so if i'm capturing something I'll try to fly in a manner that i want to appear on the video, but i'm always recording unless I have to stop to perform one of the quickshots.

@montfrooij's advice about smoothness is essential.  You may want to look into turning the sensitivity down on your sticks, (and use cinematic mode)  This will give you nice smooth motion.  And if you have the time, even if you feel like you've got the shot, cover it again.  You'll find that you see different things while in editing that you did not see in flight.  having multiple angles/views/passes makes it much easier to create the end result that you want.  (it makes it take longer, but the end result is what you're looking for)

I learned this as an amateur photographer.  take as many shots as you can, and you'll have a higher percentage chance of getting what you want.  One of the photographers that I admire a great deal told me to "always take shots.  always be ready.  take more than you need, so you'll have enough in post.  with photography, once you are aware of the moment, you have missed the moment."  i think it is similar with video, but in many cases (especially with UAV pilots) we are filming places instead of people, and the moments tend to last a little longer.

Enjoy!  and Fly Safe!
2018-6-19
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ross1154 Posted at 2018-6-18 14:05
Thanks, only got the drone last week and today was the third time flying it properly. I hope to improve on the piloting skills

Be proud.  I didn't even attempt editing video until i was a month into flying.  I posted my very first flight so some friend could see, but no editing or touch up.  just raw a$$ footage.

You did well,  and your flying will get better as you spend more time in the air.  We look forward to seeing more from you!

Welcome to the Mavic family.  The support you'll find here is phenomenal.  Whenever you have questions, come on back in here.  There are folks from every walk of life, and seemingly every country on the planet.
2018-6-19
Use props
Ross1154
lvl.2
United Kingdom

3-D Posted at 2018-6-19 04:40
Be proud.  I didn't even attempt editing video until i was a month into flying.  I posted my very first flight so some friend could see, but no editing or touch up.  just raw a$$ footage.

You did well,  and your flying will get better as you spend more time in the air.  We look forward to seeing more from you!

Support so far has been great. The more practice i get hopefully things will get better. Id love to try and get some footage/images of the new queensferry crossing and forth bridges
2018-6-19
Use props
BHProductions
First Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

Good first video! Others have given great advise. As long as I have space on the SD card and batter life i'm recording. You never know what you might miss.
Also if you haven't already check out you tube for flight techniques like in this video below. Welcome to the club.

2018-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules