altitude limit
2754 25 2015-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gilad
lvl.1

Israel

Is it possible to remove the altitude limit?
Latitude maximum allowed is 500 meters and  I would like to reach 1,000 meters.
If possible I'd love for a detailed explanation.

Gilad

2015-5-16
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you really need to go higher than 500 meters or 1640 feet

I have not been higher tha 300 feet and that seems high when the Inspire is moving at full speed
2015-5-16
Use props
gilad
lvl.1

Israel

Exib Posted at 2015-5-17 02:55
Do you really need to go higher than 500 meters or 1640 feet

I have not been higher tha 300 feet a ...

Yes, absolutely, there's a kind of photographs from the height,  that  help me a lot in my work
2015-5-16
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would recommend you use a real aircraft to do this if that's what's important to you for a shot.  That height is dangerous and is what gives the rest of us a bad name in the UAV community if something goes wrong or someone calls in the big boys to slap your hands or more.
2015-5-16
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

That altitude is so dangerous and not smart at all. Its people like you who have the FAA making it even harder for the rest of us to be able to do the work we want while staying at a safe altitude.
Smarten up dude!!  
2015-5-16
Use props
gilad
lvl.1

Israel

vonbaron1 Posted at 2015-5-17 03:28
I would recommend you use a real aircraft to do this if that's what's important to you for a shot.   ...

I fly more than a year and I photograph in areas where there is no flight restrictions.
In my opinion more dangerous is to fly  low to distance which you do not see the inspire. (FPV)
I understand what you mean and think about it every time I fly and photographs.
2015-5-16
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

gilad Posted at 2015-5-17 04:13
I fly more than a year and I photograph in areas where there is no flight restrictions.
In my opin ...

I don't know the law in Isreal, but in most countries it is unlawful to fly at that altitude.  And whether there are flight restrictions or not, at that altitude it is impossible to tell from the ground whether a full size aircraft is slightly above you, below you or at your altitude.  So you cannot meaningfully avoid it, and the Inspire is so small that the pilot of that aircraft probably cannot avoid you.  This is why DJI imposes that restriction.  They are unlikely to remove it because if there was a terrible air crash in Isreal due to an Inspire, the U.S. and various Western European countries would likely make these aircraft completely illegal to fly to guard against a similar accident.  DJI is protecting their market with these restrictions.
2015-5-16
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-5-17 04:06
That altitude is so dangerous and not smart at all. Its people like you who have the FAA making it e ...

I disagree totally with this statement. I would love to be able to fly 3 maybe 4000 feet up the side of a mountain or up a huge waterfall, glacier etc. these are places airplanes don't fly anyway. These safety features are imposed because DJI are attempting to create an illusion of safety to keep their product legal in countries that would otherwise shut them down. You cant tell me that these aircraft don't pose a threat to the safety of air traffic or the general population. You can't fix stupid and people do stupid things all the time. Not only that, we continue to see footage shot by ( PROFESSIONAL ) UAV pilots over cities and roadways and hovering over people. Heck even DJI have posted footage of an Inspire hovering over people. What would happen if a prop failed? or a motor or esc packed it in? the aircaft would egg beater into the heads of those people, that's what. So you can say the altitude rules make sense all you like but in my opinion it's no different than gun control.
2015-5-16
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-17 04:34
I don't know the law in Isreal, but in most countries it is unlawful to fly at that altitude.  And ...

PeteGould, I agree with you but I would like to add that here in the Shuswap we have all sorts of low flying aircraft such as ultralights and float planes. Two weeks ago three trainer jets blew through here at 200 feet off the lake most likely on their way to Comox Airfield on Vancouver Island. While DJI and the world think putting restrictions on our altitude is the answer I would only agree if general aviation were forced to play the same game, but they are not. There is a general rule for GA aircraft but it is like the yellow suggested speed sign on a curved road ( optional ).  I also fly ultralight aircraft and would like to know that us users of UAV's are being thoughtful for the safety of other air users but I don't agree with imposed altitudes, I find them very limiting here in the mountains.
2015-5-16
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-5-17 10:09
I also fly ultralight aircraft and would like to know that us users of UAV's are being thoughtful for the safety of other air users

I fly single-engine passenger aircraft in addition to UAS so I see both sides.  The fact is that you and I may be safety-conscious but there are plenty of people who are not.  Yes, it is in many ways similar to the gun control issue but there are significant differences - here in the US, for instance, there is no Constitutional right to keep or bear a UAS, so the government can limit them as much as it wants.  As to creating the "illusion" of safety - while nothing is absolute and there is no COMPLETE safety solution, by imposing no-fly zones around airports as well as altitude limits, DJI is certainly LIMITING (not eliminating) the potential for disaster.  Having seen some of the completely idiotic things people are doing with these aircraft, I don't think they have a choice.
2015-5-16
Use props
gilad
lvl.1

Israel

Dangair Posted at 2015-5-17 09:59
I disagree totally with this statement. I would love to be able to fly 3 maybe 4000 feet up the si ...

That's exactly what I aimed in my reply on the matter of safety.
I think the issue of height is relatively not important compared to other issues ֿ we need to keep them all.
I am sorry that I write In short English writing is not easy for me.

Gilad
2015-5-16
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

gilad Posted at 2015-5-17 13:38
That's exactly what I aimed in my reply on the matter of safety.
I think the issue of height is re ...

are you on any other forums where I can pm you?
2015-5-17
Use props
gilad
lvl.1

Israel

markaguille Posted at 2015-5-17 18:11
are you on any other forums where I can pm you?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
Do you want to send me a message?
i'm in skyPixel in the  same name.

thanks Gilad Livni
2015-5-17
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-5-17 04:06
That altitude is so dangerous and not smart at all. Its people like you who have the FAA making it e ...

Well said! I am sick of people who are so willing to break the law. This kind of behaviour will get us outlawed.
2015-5-17
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gilad Posted at 2015-5-17 04:13
In my opin ...

Where in the world are there no flight restrictions at this altitude? By the way FPV is also illegal in many countries including the UK.
2015-5-17
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

gilad Posted at 2015-5-17 20:53
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
Do you want to send me a message?
i'm in skyPixel in the   ...

I have sent you a message on skypixel
2015-5-17
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

While you're trying to get the altitude limit removed, look what other nations are doing:

http://ewn.co.za/2015/05/17/New- ... fect-drone-industry

If this becomes a worldwide trend it would decimate the drone client base, which would result in drastically higher prices for the small minority who would still fly due to disruption of economies of scale.  This is why manufacturers are building in these sorts of limits - to get ahead of this kind of legislation.

I'm not arguing with your desire or the reasons for it - just saying that there's another side to the issue that HAS TO be considered.
2015-5-17
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

brianmlevy@me.c Posted at 2015-5-17 21:01
Where in the world are there no flight restrictions at this altitude? By the way FPV is also illeg ...

Brian,

Can you direct me to where it says in the UK CAA statutory regulations that FPV is not allowed.
2015-5-18
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FPV is not illegal in the UK as long as it is done correctly and as long as it is not for aerial work. Here are some useful documents.

http://www.fpvuk.org/fpv-law/
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1108.pdf
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP ... %20April%202015.pdf
2015-5-18
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Dangair...I just came out of the mountains camping for the long weekend and as I looked out over the Lower Lake in Kananaskis country I was wondering what it would take to fly a kilometer over the lake and fly up an avalanche chute a couple thousand feet...The technology isnt quite there yet for battery power and Transport Canada is definitely not there at least not yet. They have given you a possible out to convince them.  You first have to develop a track record and document everything and outline what you want to do in an SFOC...At least you have a chance to convince them...There are definitely SAR applications in this...So its not a lost or hopeless cause...But as for just trying to fly as high as you can I think is actually quite dangerous and I can fully understand why there are 300ft restrictions in Canada and 400ft elsewhere.
2015-5-18
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-5-18 22:51
Brian,

Can you direct me to where it says in the UK CAA statutory regulations that FPV is not all ...

3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.
2015-5-20
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

brianmlevy@me.c Posted at 2015-5-21 01:01
3) The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact  ...

This is for commercial work. FPV for other purposes is NOT illegal.
2015-5-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Dangair Posted at 2015-5-17 09:59
I disagree totally with this statement. I would love to be able to fly 3 maybe 4000 feet up the si ...

That's easy, just start at the TOP of the waterfall and drop down, meaning the entire elevation is in negative.   Pretty sure there isn't a minimum altitude, like -4000 feet!  
2015-5-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Yes Jim I was waiting for that remark. That is always a possibility, however, there is a set of falls at the end of my airstrip that for the most part is not accessible from the top. It would be a very brutal hike to the top through nasty slash and tall bush. The bottom is fully accessible and is a great launch area. The upper canyon is not really visible on Google Earth as the trees over hang the falls as they step down the mountain. I was suggesting that in a situation like this it would be really cool to be able to explore the canyon at length from the bottom, but alas it can only be done by pioneering a nasty very steep slashy hill. As for the other comments made, I have no intention of breaking any laws as they are, and I agree that beyond a certain height line of sight is gone and it raises some safety issues.
I would like to point out that for the US folks out there, gun control may not be an issue because of your Constitution, but here in Canada it has been. It was found to a total waste of time and money. It was decided that it be scrapped primarily because it was pointless as the criminals didn't register their firearms. So in essence the government was taxing the responsible firearm holders, and those that were not responsible were not being detected. So we are back to the way it was except with an enormous bill for our troubles. I suggest that if a person wished to be an idiot with there DJI aircraft it would be a simple matter of disabling and removing the proprietary GPS system and perhaps the receiver and transmitter and chucking commercially available electronics in it's place. So then DJI could still be on the hot seat when some moron is seen flying the non stock aircraft over an airport. That makes the sanctions moot, and again puts the ultimate intention and responsibility with the pilot as it is with GA aircraft.     
2015-5-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Dangair Posted at 2015-5-21 09:04
Yes Jim I was waiting for that remark. That is always a possibility, however, there is a set of fall ...

Just to jump onto gun control for a moment, in Australia we have strong gun control and since there were never that many guns here to start with, gun crime is incredibly rare.    Like count an entire year's gun crimes on two hands rare.   So yes, if you start with millions of guns in every house then by nature it will be out of control.   Don't have them in the first place and life is good!
2015-5-20
Use props
miketeel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184567 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to find a way to ascend to that altitude but only have a relative altitude to the ground of say 200 ft. Would like to fly up slope of mountain but restricted from reaching near summit because of the actual altitude. I have no interest in fly above 400 ft in open space.
2015-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules