2018-6-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice footage Ed.
This happened to me on my first MP (never on the MPP). It's a gimbal disconnect issue. It only happened very rarely but in my case I had to land and reboot the drone then it never happened again for a long time. The root cause was never known - it's a glitch and I've seen many other cases of the same fault.  
2018-6-21
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Ed,
The camera glitch happen to me also and only once. Thought it was the drone doing a flip, Scared the living h*** out of me.
Here is my 10 seconds of scare
2018-6-21
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Forgot to say Nice Video. Smooth on the controls.
2018-6-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Easy Ed Posted at 2018-6-21 11:57
Thanks A CW. When it happened to you did it correct itself so you could continue to fly back to safety ? This scared me because I was 4275 feet away from my home point and afraid of what was going to happen next. Yes, I should of kept it in line of site to watch it and be able to guide it back to home point but wanted to get the video so I was taking a chance in doing so by watching the camera on the iPad screen instead.

Thanks, Ed

No it never but I was in clear VLOS so manually flew back and landed - the gimbal did not respond to any of my commands in flight after it happened. Scary moment. If you are ever in that situation and perhaps flying a little too far away then press and hold the RTH button on the RC and release when it starts bleeping. The gimbal malfunction is independent of GPS.
2018-6-21
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

You're clearly not alone with this Ed. I have also experienced it a couple of times, but it seemed to me that the camera did reset itself and then worked fine again. However, one single time I've experienced the same thing that A CW did, having to fly to the home point, land and reboot before the gimbal would work again. When you fly VLOS almost all the time, this will never be a real problem. It's annoying, but not dangerous to you, your drone, or anyone else.
2018-6-21
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Mines done it a few times, takes a while to settle down then i generally have to switch camera to video and back to regain the focus.
Annoying but rare although i can trigger it 100% of the time flying near to a specific radio mast.
Once you look at the telemetry on the RC and realise its still in the air, not falling and is perfectly stable it stops being scary.
2018-6-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ed, we're sorry for the troubles. Just to verify, does the issue appear in every flight? Do you still use the original SD card and what's your operation before this appears? We will appreciate if you can upload some original samples of the SD card for better assistance.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Easy Ed Posted at 2018-6-21 13:05
A CW, Thank you for the info.

No probs - fingers crossed it's a one off.
2018-6-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Easy Ed Posted at 2018-6-22 01:48
DJI Susan, Thank you for your response. It does not happen every flight, as stated above, it only happened a couple of times to me, as with everyone else that has had the problem, it is intermittent. The SD card I use came with the "fly more combo", picture attached. With me, it seems to happen when I use the upper left thumb wheel on the remote controller to raise and lower the camera. I am not sure why you are asking about the SD card, it is not a recording issue it is the camera acting like the sequence it does when the drone is first powered up. When I watched the iPad as it was happening this last time the camera turned to the left, right, down, went up enough to see the props spinning a couple of times then it re-centered itself and I was able to make the video shown above and fly home. Some that have had this problem, the camera did not re-center itself after it did the same as mine did and they had to fly back to home point by physically watching the drone and using the remote controller to guide it back, then reboot both the remote controller and drone to fix the problem. As pointed out by many and the link I posted, this is a common problem with the Mavic Pro and I do not remember it happening on a early firmware. Thanks again, Ed [view_image]

Ah - the ultra is compatible but not the best and can be the cause - try using an extreme or better still, extreme pro. Thinking about it the problem never returned after I upgraded my micro SD card to the SanDisk Extreme Pro A1, V30 32gb.
2018-6-22
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I've been using the SanDisk Extreme Plus A1 V30 64gb since my first flight. This is also a great card but it can happen despite that. I'm pretty sure the few times it happened to me was when flying straight against a moderable wind at high speed (sports mode), or a little more powerful wind at lower speed (normal mode). I believe a small wind gust can trigger this.
2018-6-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Yup the gimbal reset issue has cropped up for a number of fliers over the last year or so. I've looked quite closely at the various footages and it looks like its not an environment cause - i.e. wind. I would hazard a guess, that its a software initiated reset due to a bad read on the gimbal actuators. I don't know the actual algorithm that DJI use to control the feedback loop for the gimbal and calculated coordinates, but there is a common area of error when calculating spherical coordinates at the 90deg points as the values returned can become 'irrational' due to being infinitely 'small' - decimal accuracy (rounding errors etc) is lost - so the unit goes into failsafe and does an 'on-the-fly' (literally!) reset. In theory doing a ground based full recalibration of the gimbal should 'zero out' any latent data values - so it will rarely happen again. The only risky time we don't want this to happen is when the camera is in a tracking mode ... as there's a flight dynamic connection then between the camera and the flight control. So generally its not an issue as such, just an inconvenience and an annoyance if it spoils a shot. The only time I had this happen due to environmental conditions is when my MPP go caught in an up drought coming off the crest of a hill - this also happened with my Spark when I turned too quickly going down wind (so that would suggest its not exclusive to the MP/MPP gimbals but the Spark and possibly the Air gimbals can experience the same in similar circs.)
2018-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules