Anyone nervous over water?
12Next >
1721 48 2018-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chugger93
lvl.2

I'm on vacation now, I've flown my new spark 3 times now. I wanna go over the water and take some cool panaramas, but I'm so nervous to fly over water. I feel it's such a risk with a drone.

Heck, I get nervous flying 300 feet up high which is probably nothing. Do these nerves subside lol? I know the spark has gotta be capable....
2018-6-23
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

When I am planning to take shots over water, be prepared and attach the Spark's Big Balls ! He got 4 !

Kit costs around $10.

2018-6-23
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609724 ft
Canada

Chugger,

Quite normal reaction. It took me a while to trust Spark enough to fly it over water :-)

If you don't have these Big Balls DMX_MT is talking about, keep your altitude over water at 2-3 metres minimum. Spark's VPS is known for getting confused over water and Spark may suddenly start lowering its altitude and dip. If you fly higher you should have no problem.

DMX_MT,

Isn't it 4:30am at your place?? :-) Your dedication to this forum is extraordinary :-)
Cheers!

Mirek
2018-6-23
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

Just keep a close eye out over water.
2-3 meters may be enough some days.
Other days might need more.

Yes, all fears subside.
I myself started by "sweeping the floors" with a Syma X5C in February of 2015.
Roughly 2 years and 4 months later with a home made craft:

Check the description in YouTube.
2018-6-23
Use props
landude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 126407 ft

United States

chugger, I'm still nervous over grass.  
But it's getting better the more I learn the craft.
2018-6-23
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

You should be nervous over water.  It is unforgiving.  Over land, you can go get your aircraft that made an emergency landing.  Water has that daring-do element that attract people until they actually lose the drone.  Then the stories start as they try to remove responsibility from themselves and put it on DJI.  If you fly over water, cliffs, lava, or tiger cages, the results are on you.
2018-6-23
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-23 19:55
You should be nervous over water.  It is unforgiving.  Over land, you can go get your aircraft that made an emergency landing.  Water has that daring-do element that attract people until they actually lose the drone.  Then the stories start as they try to remove responsibility from themselves and put it on DJI.  If you fly over water, cliffs, lava, or tiger cages, the results are on you.

Water is definitely NOT for beginners. Well, honestly speaking, even Spark is not for beginners. The best route in my experience is to practice first on some el cheapo (syma, bugs 3...) over the land. Than once basics are mastered and you did not crash or have other incident in a while, practice over the water, again with your el cheapo. Only than, it's time for Spark over the unpopulated land and working your way towards more demanding flying environments.
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always stay a good 10m above water
2018-6-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I know exactly how you feel. It took me ages to fly over the sea at night. Still a relief to land after my second over the water night flight. Do the pre flight checks, make sure that you have a fully charged battery / remote and phone, wait until you have a good GPS lock so that you have a Return to Home Point set. As others have suggested, don't fly too low. If you can have a spotter with you , that might help? @DMX_MT "big balls" look useful, thought I don't have a set for my Spark, but if I was planning on doing lots over water, think I'd get a set.
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

The Balls won't save your Spark if it plunged into a Free Fall from over 100ft but at least it will come Floating back to the Surface and you can recover it, if you know how to swim. Else you can find someone with a boat and give him a reward.

The only part on Water which scares me if I am top of a Cliff, as I won't manage to go down to the open sea for it.

2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ChrisJG Posted at 2018-6-24 02:46
I know exactly how you feel. It took me ages to fly over the sea at night. Still a relief to land after my second over the water night flight. Do the pre flight checks, make sure that you have a fully charged battery / remote and phone, wait until you have a good GPS lock so that you have a Return to Home Point set. As others have suggested, don't fly too low. If you can have a spotter with you , that might help? @DMX_MT "big balls" look useful, thought I don't have a set for my Spark, but if I was planning on doing lots over water, think I'd get a set.

Chris you have thought me a New Command in this Forum.

If I type - @ChrisJG

In Your reminder menu, it will show ''NOW TO SEE'', as I have mentioned you.

Thank you, everyday I learn something New. Cheers Chris !

Did it appear on yours Chris ? As why you type @DMX_MT it showed on my Reminder Menu, but your name is not having a Hyperlink. How did you do it ?

2018-6-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 05:53
Chris you have thought me a New Command in this Forum.

If I type - @ChrisJG

Haha, it's how you notify someone on the UK's most popular forum. It's second nature to me if I want to @ someone! #Auto
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ChrisJG Posted at 2018-6-24 07:18
Haha, it's how you notify someone on the UK's most popular forum. It's second nature to me if I want to @ someone! #Auto

Comment Removed

2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Comment Removed

2018-6-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 07:20
Chris did you receive the Notification though ?

When I did @ChrisJG its not showing any hyperlink like when you typed my Nick.

Yep, I'm getting the notifications. Aren't all forums / bulletin boards built this way?
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ChrisJG Posted at 2018-6-24 07:25
Yep, I'm getting the notifications. Aren't all forums / bulletin boards built this way?

Comment Removed

2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ChrisJG Posted at 2018-6-24 07:25

Comment Removed

2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Comment Removed

2018-6-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 07:26
I dont know Chris. I don't visit much forums. Lol !

Why sometimes it creates the Hyperlink and sometimes it doesn't ?

Anyway @DMX_MT we are hijacking this thread, about flying over water, so ...
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Comment Removed

2018-6-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-6-24 01:56
I always stay a good 10m above water

I've gone pretty low (3 feet) getting shots of this small alligator.  The Spark did as expected and tried to sink when hovering over the water.  No big deal as it is known to do this and I was actively on the sticks instead of letting autopilot do everything.

Plus, I was fully prepared to go into the water after it (snorkle) and use the care refresh.  I wouldn't be on here complaining that DJI has a design flaw when I knew I was risking it.    I got lower than this screen shot trying for photos before he ran back into the water.

2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-24 07:36
I've gone pretty low getting shots of this small alligator.  The Spark did as expected and tried to sink when hovering over the water.  No big deal as it is known to do this and I was actively on the sticks instead of letting autopilot do everything.

Plus, I was fully prepared to go into the water after it (snorkle) and use the care refresh.  I wouldn't be on here complaining that DJI has a design flaw when I knew I was risking it.    I got lower than this screen shot trying for photos before he ran back into the water.

Gunship is it best to turn off the bottom sensors when on water ?

I read a tutorial by Alex - Epic Post, that its best to turn them off, wish to have your Opinion please.

Thank you !
2018-6-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-24 07:41
Gunship is it best to turn off the bottom sensors when on water ?

I read a tutorial by Alex - Epic Post, that its best to turn them off, wish to have your Opinion please.

I have heard that it is best to turn them off.  I haven't tried, yet.  I do everything manually with the sticks.
2018-6-24
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-24 07:54
I have heard that it is best to turn them off.  I haven't tried, yet.  I do everything manually with the sticks.

Thanks Gunship.

2018-6-24
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've gone pretty low (3 feet) getting shots of this small alligator.  The Spark did as expected and tried to sink when hovering over the water.  No big deal as it is known to do this and I was actively on the sticks instead of letting autopilot do everything.

Plus, I was fully prepared to go into the water after it (snorkle) and use the care refresh.  I wouldn't be on here complaining that DJI has a design flaw when I knew I was risking it.    I got lower than this screen shot trying for photos before he ran back into the water.

You are braver than I, no way would I be prepared to snorkel someware with an Aligator, baby one or not!
2018-6-24
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

And how do you turn bottom sensors off on a spark?
The only way I know of is using black tape.

I’m also scared about flying over water. Particularly if the water is salty.
A bird or an overlooked twig might flip the spark.
2018-6-24
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

heliman Posted at 2018-6-24 08:35
And how do you turn bottom sensors off on a spark?
The only way I know of is using black tape.

Hi Heliman,

I don't see such option in DJI GO either. I have seen many posts in the past claiming that such option does not exist in Spark.

And - I would be cautious using black tape - did anybody check how Spark behaves without bottom VPS?  Perhaps all is fine and barometric pressure altimeter kicks in immediately. But if Spark loses GPS position, there would be no chance to get into OPTI even if lower than 8 metres. It would probably immediately switch to ATTI.

I would also not fly close to the water on barometric pressure altimeter only. Would not trust it.
My advice if anybody wants to fly over water:
1. Keep altitude of 2-3 metres minimum to avoid confusing VPS altimeter with reflections.
2. Watch your Spark and be prepared for manual intervention if it suddenly starts to loose altitude.

Many people lost their Sparks by flying too close to the water and not being able to react in time when Spark suddenly decided to take a dip.
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've gone pretty low (3 feet) getting shots of this small alligator.  The Spark did as expected and tried to sink when hovering over the water.  No big deal as it is known to do this and I was actively on the sticks instead of letting autopilot do everything.

Cool shot      
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

pmshop Posted at 2018-6-23 19:21
Just keep a close eye out over water.
2-3 meters may be enough some days.
Other days might need more.

Great footage   
2018-6-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

heliman Posted at 2018-6-24 08:35
And how do you turn bottom sensors off on a spark?
The only way I know of is using black tape.

I thought turning off obstacle sensors would do it.  Maybe not,  I few it manually, in that I stayed on the sticks ready to bail out out up and to the side towards the bank.  It was only 50 meters from me but hard to see with the pond's bank in the background.  With aircraft,...speed is life, altitude is life insurance.

Lots of risks over water and unknown hazards.  I wouldn't have done it but my dad wanted photos of the little gator.  I was willing to risk the Spark and accept responsibility.  I would not have risked an Inspire or P4P.  

I laugh because there is a guy on the Mavic forum that has lost two Air's to a nearby lake.  He is fine with it and just buys another.  I think Care Refresh is replacing his second since he recovered the corpse.
2018-6-24
Use props
Antipaxi
Second Officer

I kind of risk it and fly pretty close to the water, half a meter even. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it, it's a mini boost of adrenalin rush and it takes pretty cool footage. I'm always ready to jump in and retrieve it though, and I only fly it over shallow and clear water.

2018-6-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it falls over water at least there is no threat to people. (although you lose the drone). But if it falls over land most likely you destroy the drone and you have to worry about damaging property and hurting people. So I actually feel safer over water. Just be careful flying too close to the water (< five feet) as the downward sensors get a little weird and sometimes can make the drone lose elevation.
2018-6-24
Use props
SparkChog
First Officer
Flight distance : 500554 ft
Philippines

That's normal. Had the same feeling back then Goodluck and trust your Spark!
2018-6-24
Use props
MarkMN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77100 ft
United States

I flew my bosses Mavic Pro nearly a mile out over a lake, had plenty of power left to loiter a while, then the wind picked up and gave me high wind warnings, so I cut the photo shoot short and brought it back to shore. I would Never do that with my Spark. The equipment used makes all the difference for me.
2018-6-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Antipaxi Posted at 2018-6-24 10:17
I kind of risk it and fly pretty close to the water, half a meter even. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it, it's a mini boost of adrenalin rush and it takes pretty cool footage. I'm always ready to jump in and retrieve it though, and I only fly it over shallow and clear water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMWOr6XsktE

Awesome shot   
2018-6-25
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

I haven't yet tried the Spark over water. I think I know the limitations and risks, but I just haven't found the gumption for it yet.
2018-6-25
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

**** Most importantly check your battery level and set your home location. **** I flew my drone over the water on my second day, I use dji mavic air. It was really easy to control and stable too. From my experience it's same as flying over a ground. Just be carefull with the birds as they will try attack the drone not making this us though .. Happy flying
2018-6-25
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-6-24 10:12
I thought turning off obstacle sensors would do it.  Maybe not,  I few it manually, in that I stayed on the sticks ready to bail out out up and to the side towards the bank.  It was only 50 meters from me but hard to see with the pond's bank in the background.  With aircraft,...speed is life, altitude is life insurance.

Lots of risks over water and unknown hazards.  I wouldn't have done it but my dad wanted photos of the little gator.  I was willing to risk the Spark and accept responsibility.  I would not have risked an Inspire or P4P.  

You say:

"I thought turning off obstacle sensors would do it.  Maybe not, ..."

Definitely not. You can disable obstacle avoidance yet the OPTI mode still works. For example when flying indoors you may need to disable obstacles avoidance otherwise your Spark will sense walls and never fly out of you bedroom :-). Yet it stills scans the ground and keeps its position without GPS.

Spark's manual distinguishes between 3D sensing system (obstacle avoidance - front) and Vision System for precision and indoor flying.
2018-6-25
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Mirek6 Posted at 2018-6-25 12:17
You say:

"I thought turning off obstacle sensors would do it.  Maybe not, ..."

Mirek can you turn off the Downward Sensors ?

2018-6-25
Use props
Mirek6
Second Officer
Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-25 12:20
Mirek can you turn off the Downward Sensors ?

I don't believe you can on Spark. I have not found such option.
Higher end drones do have it available.
2018-6-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules