Orienation indicator in Vision app
1137 11 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kripdish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 120922 ft
United States

I have updated the "flight controller firmware" to 3.14 recently and have now noticed that my copters orientation displayed in the Vision app is skewed approximately 90 degrees left.  I have tried calabrating the compass by both flipping the S1 switch 5x's and through settings in the Vision app with no sucsess.  Has anyone come across this and found a fix? By the way copter is a Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3. (always helps to know what is being talked about )

2015-5-17
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same issue a few months ago, uninstalling and re-downloading the vision app sorted it.
Also worth checking the phone's compass is calibrated, although on my S3 it made no difference until I installed the app again.
2015-5-17
Use props
Kripdish
lvl.2
United States

Again here you are to help, Thanks
2015-5-17
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

It also sorts itself out after a few minutes of flying, or simply turn everything off including phone and then start everything back up again
2015-5-17
Use props
Kripdish
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the input Crash, I had tried to reboot everything, but that did not work. I followed Johns suggestion and for know all is right.
2015-5-17
Use props
Kripdish
lvl.2
United States

Well today is another day and today the orientation is nearly 180 degrees off. This is frustrating.
2015-5-18
Use props
briangrounsell
lvl.2

New Zealand

It would seem that the orientation is based on the direction the flight controller is facing when you power on. Therefore if you rotate the flight controller 90 degrees (by moving around when flying) the radar indicator will rotate 90 degrees. I tested this a few days ago and it does appear to be the case. so if you want to get a true indication of the direction the bird is flying simply rotate the controller back to its power on direction.
2015-5-18
Use props
briangrounsell
lvl.2

New Zealand

I should have added I am flying a P2V+ v2 using a Note 3
2015-5-18
Use props
Kripdish
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your input Brian, I thought that it shows the orientation to the front of the controller, so if the copter is flying from in front of you back to you, the indicator would be pointing to you.  That being said, when powering up I have the controller & monitor (Nexus 7) and  copter facing in the same direction. However, when I open the app, connect the wifi and open the camera mode it shows the copters orientation to be generally 90 degrees off (usually to the left) at one point today it was 180 off.  
2015-5-18
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Interesting that you are using the Nexus 7, I just bought a Nexus 9 (needed a new tablet and wanted something that was Phantom 3 ready) and it says the Vision app is not compatible.
I did install it direct from the DJI page, but it did not work with the compass and Ground Station was always pointing the wrong way.
My trusty Samsung S3 works perfectly (after the one time re-install of the app)
Can you try a phone on the recommend list of devices and see if its ok ?  
2015-5-18
Use props
Kripdish
lvl.2
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-5-19 09:00
Interesting that you are using the Nexus 7, I just bought a Nexus 9 (needed a new tablet and wanted  ...

I just tried my Samsung Galaxy S3 and the orientation was correct. Good call!  I have a shoot tomorrow and would like to use the larger screen. Do you think that its home point would be thrown off by this? My fear is that it will fly off in the wrong direction should the fail-safe be engaged. Also, did you update to 3.14 and if so did you have this issue prior to updating?
2015-5-18
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I had the issue before I updated to 3.14.
It seems to be a phone / tablet issue and so should not make a difference to the failsafe operation.
It still made me nervous not having the correct heading shown so I cut my flight short and went home to fix the problem after the initial turn it off and on again did not work
2015-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules