P3 - Strong overexposure with default camera settings
12709 18 2015-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
js1
lvl.1

Austria

I never had issues with the P2V+ camera but the P3 camera shows strong over exposure with default settings, when the object is in the sun.

Any idea how to solve this?

2015-5-17
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

I have same kind of issue with my Advanced. Somehow I have got EV +2.5 in Auto setting. I just reset the camera and it starts to work (reset function is in the camera settings).
You can also adjust EV, by using right wheel on the controller, in Auto mode...
2015-5-17
Use props
js1
lvl.1

United States

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-5-18 04:39
I have same kind of issue with my Advanced. Somehow I have got EV +2.5 in Auto setting. I just reset ...

Thanks. Will try.
2015-5-17
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-5-18 04:39
I have same kind of issue with my Advanced. Somehow I have got EV +2.5 in Auto setting. I just reset ...

Yup, I did the same thing.  Had to learn to keep my fingers away from that other wheel!
2015-5-18
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

Do you have manual exposure activated? Adjust exposure with the righthand wheel. Or choose auto exposure and let the camera adjust in a few seconds.
2015-5-18
Use props
MacNimation
lvl.2

Ireland

Where do you change manual or auto exposure?
I looked in the manual but cannot seem to find it.
I find that making changes to the exposure using ISO and shutter speed while watching the histogram works fine. As soon as I close the settings, it blows out again......
2015-5-18
Use props
lhillmike
New

United States

I'm having over exposure problems with my Professional right out of the box too. I'm afraid I don't know what EV +2.5  in auto settings means or where to find it, or where to reset. Is all this on the Pilot app? If anyone could give step by step instructions on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.
Since I posted I found the reset for the camera in the Pilot app, thanks guys for the post, it worked just fine.

One other problem I had was in video mode, the video was not continuous but seemed to been have taken in quick segments or something. Is there a setting for that or will the camera reset resolve that too, haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

Perhaps the non-continuous video is my video player on my computer. Is there a particular program to play back the 4k videos or restrictions on a computer to play it?

2015-5-18
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Netherlands

MacNimation Posted at 2015-5-19 03:02
Where do you change manual or auto exposure?
I looked in the manual but cannot seem to find it.
I fi ...

It's the little button at bthe bottom right side in your app. Press it and you get manual adjustment. Once again for automatic exposure. Being a photographer I prefer manual adjustment. Set it to 100 or 200 ISO and adjust shuttertime to my needs with the right wheel on the RC
2015-5-19
Use props
MacNimation
lvl.2

France

giant Posted at 2015-5-19 16:18
It's the little button at bthe bottom right side in your app. Press it and you get manual adjustme ...

Thanks, I too am a professional photographer and videographer but it was looking a bit confusing.
Pressing the button on the bottom right does bring up the settings, i adjusted them to the correct settings I wanted. But I thought I had to press the button again to close the settings, I did not realize it was switching but it makes sense now as it get reverting to being over blown when I pressed it again.
I don't expect it to have the same ability as the Red One, but it was a bit confusing...
2015-5-19
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Did you set to Auto-ISO? You can try lower the EV.
It would be better if you can take a screenshot of the camera setting.
2015-5-19
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Netherlands

MacNimation Posted at 2015-5-19 17:22
Thanks, I too am a professional photographer and videographer but it was looking a bit confusing.

The little adjustments window can be swiped away so you have full screen again.
2015-5-20
Use props
MacNimation
lvl.2

France

giant Posted at 2015-5-20 21:34
The little adjustments window can be swiped away so you have full screen again.

cheers, I actually figured it out by accident....
2015-5-20
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-19 17:33
Did you set to Auto-ISO? You can try lower the EV.
It would be better if you can take a screenshot o ...

Once you do manual settings it looks great, the problem is if you steer away from the sun then everything else is super dark. I'd prefer the auto but that doesn't seem to work either.
2015-5-20
Use props
js1
lvl.1

United States

Robharris07 Posted at 2015-5-20 22:28
Once you do manual settings it looks great, the problem is if you steer away from the sun then eve ...

So what is the conclusion? -  Automatic mode doesn't provide the expected results (since wrong EV value). - And in manual mode you would have to constantly change the EV manually depending on the environment? - Is that correct?  
2015-5-20
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Netherlands

I agree that the auto exposure function is not that great. I've seen better on video cams.
2015-5-20
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

The Phantom 3 (Advanced or Pro) is a flying camera - in order to get the best results, or to eliminate the errors that occur when you allow the camera to decide on its own, you need to learn how a camera works, and how to control exposure yourself. As a minimum, learn about exposure compensation, auto-ISO, etc.

Letting the camera decide everything will take decent photo's and video's 75% of the time, but as a senior photographer once told me when I first got into this business, "It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools".

Here's a graphic that kinda explains the exposure "triangle" (ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed). While this was made for still photography, it is equally applicable to video.
exposure triangle.jpg
2015-5-20
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

js1@joopi.com Posted at 2015-5-20 22:31
So what is the conclusion? -  Automatic mode doesn't provide the expected results (since wrong EV  ...

That is correct js1!
2015-5-20
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I never use the auto exposure.  Set it manually and use the right control wheel to adjust it in flight as needed.
2015-5-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

MacNimation Posted at 2015-5-19 17:22

One of the more experienced photographers who appears here on the group made an observation the other day. I'm still very much a newbie, but I'll try to paraphrase what I think he wrote!

Look for that little icon on the right side - it's part of the camera controls - it looks like three little lines with dots on them. Touch that "control" and, on the opposite side of the screen, you'll see a small window open with three settings on it - ISO, shutter speed and the EV setting.

YOU ARE NOW MANUALLY ALTERING THOSE SETTINGS!!!

If you now press that control on the right side (again, the ones with the three little lines), the settings window will close and you will have gone back into AUTO mode! If you want to stay in manual mode, but want to regain the real estate on your screen - wipe that settings window off the screen with your finger - you will remain in manual control, even though that controlling window has disappeared!

It seems kind of confusing to me, but, like I wrote above, I'm very much a newbie.

Flew this morning for about 12 minutes (just below 50% of my battery remaining) and the video was worthless. I was so excited (flying in a new place) I forgot to check the screen and see what kind of picture I was obtaining. When I did, it was almost opaque. The next video was a little better, but not by much. I think I spent so much time watching the Phantom and forgetting about camera settings. Hopefully, as I get more experienced, I'll be able to operate with my heart in my chest instead of in my throat! LOL
2015-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules