New Spark user help
798 20 2018-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

Hi all,

I got my Spark two days ago and am taking my time getting to know it and read the really helpful information available.

I took it out into a wide open field this evening and tried a few of the modes, dronie, rocket etc which was fine and worked correctly.

Then i took it up to 50 mtrs to take a video of the sunset, all was fine for a short while then it completely disconnected from the iPhone.  I waited and it correctly returned to home after 20 seconds or so.  It hovered over the 'home spot' and the reading on the display showed 2ft, 1ft when it was still way up in the sky.  It did carry on descending though until it reached about 2 metres, is this normal?

I only tried it with the iPhone tonight as i've seen it's recommended to use a cable between the the phone and RC and i'm waiting for the OTG cable to arrive which i've ordered.

It's slightly concerning that it disconnected in an open field with no visible obstacles around, or is this something i shouldn't be concerned about?

All firmware shows as being up to date.

2018-6-28
Use props
czechmark01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1101673 ft
  • >>>
United States

You will notice a big difference when you use the RC. Have fun!
2018-6-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry for what happen to your aircraft, I would suggest avoiding hazardous environment when you're flying your drone to prevent interruptions and if want to maximize the usage of your aircraft it would be better if you're using your remote controller that might help to access some features and it will add more distance. Regarding with OTG cable as of the moment, it's not yet optimized when connecting your phone to the remote controller, however, it's optimized when you're connecting your DJI Goggles, for the meantime, you can use Wi-Fi connection.
2018-6-28
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

Hi,

I think flying with RC even without the OTG should be better than phone only.

Good luck!
2018-6-28
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

czechmark01 Posted at 2018-6-28 15:21
You will notice a big difference when you use the RC. Have fun!

Thanks, i'm hoping to try with the RC today.
2018-6-28
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-6-28 16:35
Hi, sorry for what happen to your aircraft, I would suggest avoiding hazardous environment when you're flying your drone to prevent interruptions and if want to maximize the usage of your aircraft it would be better if you're using your remote controller that might help to access some features and it will add more distance. Regarding with OTG cable as of the moment, it's not yet optimized when connecting your phone to the remote controller, however, it's optimized when you're connecting your DJI Goggles, for the meantime, you can use Wi-Fi connection.

Thanks for the advice, i am going to try with the RC later today.

At the moment, i'm just taking baby steps with it to build up confidence.  When i flew it yesterday in the conditions i mentioned on opening this thread, i was in a massive wide open field without any obstructions around.

Will try in the same place with the RC and see if it's any different.
2018-6-28
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

JimboHUN Posted at 2018-6-28 22:42
Hi,

I think flying with RC even without the OTG should be better than phone only.

Thanks JimboHUN, going to try with it later today.
2018-6-28
Use props
Hddeuce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

Definitely use the RC!  And you don't need an OTG cable, the wifi works fine.  When you get the OTG cable, try both and see which you prefer.  Also make sure your antenna are oriented correctly.  They should be up and perpendicular to the drone.  
2018-6-29
Use props
AC5FF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65194 ft
United States

I went through the same process when I got my Spark.
I wanted to do a few flights with my phone only - just to get the feel for it.  Also, to be familiar enough with controlling with the phone in case I was ever 'forced' to do so.
After moving to the RC - was like night and day.  I do not recall any 'disconnects' with the phone, but it was SO much easier to control and just felt more accurate while flying with the RC.

Enjoy!
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Hey Boss, OTG is always better especially in Europe where 5.8GHz is Crap.

FCC Mode is also much better than CE Mode. If you need help let me know.

If you are a New Pilot and have some time, just read my post for New Pilots.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-151297-1-1.html

Lots of Stuff and Errors you won't know about. Better know about them then Panic and have a Fly Away.

Cheers Boss !

2018-6-29
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

Great advice from everyone so a massive thanks for that, going to try this evening with the RC
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

UniquePhotoArts Posted at 2018-6-29 06:21
Great advice from everyone so a massive thanks for that, going to try this evening with the RC

Cheers Boss ! Hope to see some of your Footage and Photos, I am sure you are a Pro !

Here to help, if you need anything let me know !

2018-6-29
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-29 06:30
Cheers Boss ! Hope to see some of your Footage and Photos, I am sure you are a Pro !

Here to help, if you need anything let me know !

Thank you, already looked at the links and help you posted, really helpful stuff there.

I'll post some media when i have recorded some.

This was the first one i took, it was last night whilst testing.

http://www.answerit.co.uk/drone/sunset2.mp4
2018-6-29
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

Hddeuce Posted at 2018-6-29 05:29
Definitely use the RC!  And you don't need an OTG cable, the wifi works fine.  When you get the OTG cable, try both and see which you prefer.  Also make sure your antenna are oriented correctly.  They should be up and perpendicular to the drone.  [view_image]

Great advice, thank you.
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

UniquePhotoArts Posted at 2018-6-29 06:42
Thank you, already looked at the links and help you posted, really helpful stuff there.

You are a Beginner ????

You are a Born Artist ! Really Impressed !

2018-6-29
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-6-29 06:48
You are a Beginner ????

You are a Born Artist ! Really Impressed !

Haha, i honestly am a total beginner so thanks for the comment, first time ever with a drone two days ago lol.
2018-6-29
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

UniquePhotoArts Posted at 2018-6-29 06:52
Haha, i honestly am a total beginner so thanks for the comment, first time ever with a drone two days ago lol.

What will you Upload in a Year's Time ?

Really Nice ! You Got Talent Boss !
2018-6-29
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

UniquePhotoArts Posted at 2018-6-29 06:42

Good work.....enjoy flying!
2018-6-29
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

Hi guys, thanks for all the help and advice yesterday, it was incredibly helpful.

Today i've had two flawless flights after flying with the new cable and the RC.  Didn't go mad on distance, got to 250m over open ground at 30m height with no glitches.

Simon
2018-6-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

UniquePhotoArts Posted at 2018-6-28 23:49
Thanks for the advice, i am going to try with the RC later today.

At the moment, i'm just taking baby steps with it to build up confidence.  When i flew it yesterday in the conditions i mentioned on opening this thread, i was in a massive wide open field without any obstructions around.

Kindly keep us update if you need our assistance. Thank you.
2018-7-1
Use props
UniquePhotoArts
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you, I will
2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules