stand alone GPS tracker
755 10 2018-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Does anyone use a small independent GPS tracking device on their drone?  If so, does it disrupt the flying at all and what brands are being used.  I feel this may be the best way to find one should you run into any problems or fly aways.

Thoughts??  Comments??
2018-6-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Trackimo and PingGPS are some really good ones that some here use.  From what they have said no does not disrupt the flying at all.  Search for Dirty Bird who uses PingGPS and QuadKid who uses Trackimo
2018-6-30
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-30 19:23
Trackimo and PingGPS are some really good ones that some here use.  From what they have said no does not disrupt the flying at all.  Search for Dirty Bird who uses PingGPS and QuadKid who uses Trackimo

Thanks.... I've heard of Trackimo, but not PingGPS.... I'll look into them.  Just seems to be an extra layer of security
2018-6-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-6-30 19:32
Thanks.... I've heard of Trackimo, but not PingGPS.... I'll look into them.  Just seems to be an extra layer of security

A quick search and found his thread in ping gps.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-150615-1-1.html
2018-6-30
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-30 19:40
A quick search and found his thread in ping gps.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-150615-1-1.html

So kind.... Thank you
2018-6-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a friend who uses Trackimo and swears by it as he's an older fella who's fearful of losing his Mavic Pro.
2018-6-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I believe many use them , how successful they are is not really known, if you using with Mavic Pro , you can put it on the nose of the aircraft, don’t put on top of rear as you will block GPS receiver, also anything metal added to your drone will have some effect on your compass , so it’s advisable to calibrate with tracker on, and if you fly with it off calibrate again.
2018-7-1
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3

HALLMARK007... thanks for the tidbit about the compass.  I'll definitely keep that in mind.

David...im a bit of an older fella too, and am also quite fearful.  If I were to lose it,  i definitely could not replace it.  
2018-7-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

I use it on my MP. MA & P4P, have to shut off the precision landing (downward sensors) when using it on the P4P, tested it a wide open field with a dirt road landed it @ 1000 meters away, the Trackimo App was accurate to 1 meter. Did not effect flight charecteristics at all.

2018-7-1
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-1 03:41
I use it on my MP. MA & P4P, have to shut off the precision landing (downward sensors) when using it on the P4P, tested it a wide open field with a dirt road landed it @ 1000 meters away, the Trackimo App was accurate to 1 meter. Did not effect flight charecteristics at all.

[view_image]

WOW... 1m - That's impressive.   Seems like exactly what I'm looking for.   Does the extra weight interfere with the flying at all?   I understand about the sensor on the  P4P. but with the Trackimo on the top front of the  Mavic, doesn't that  create an unbalanced situation for the  drone?  

I do love the fact that you tested it and it was accurate to 1m.   That's amazing!!  Thank you for sharing and for the pictures.

Much appreciated.
2018-7-1
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-1 11:08
WOW... 1m - That's impressive.   Seems like exactly what I'm looking for.   Does the extra weight interfere with the flying at all?   I understand about the sensor on the  P4P. but with the Trackimo on the top front of the  Mavic, doesn't that  create an unbalanced situation for the  drone?  

I do love the fact that you tested it and it was accurate to 1m.   That's amazing!!  Thank you for sharing and for the pictures.

It has no effect at all as far as performance, I mounted it using Industrial Strength Velcro, you can get it at any Home Depot or Lowes. Just mount whatever tracking device you decide to go with in the same manner so as not to interfere with the Drones GPS receiver.

It's amazing what the Mavic Pro can carry, this is my Air (Including Battery) being transported by the MP.

2018-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules