Do I need to use BOTH RC Assist and Phantom Assist?
1279 6 2015-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

I am a newbie P2V+ owner and a bit confused.

I downloaded the DJI Assist (Phantom Assist) software to my Mac, Updated it, and went through the various calibration tabs including the calibration of the sticks on the RC Controller.  This was all while connecting to the Phantom USB port.

Now I see there is also another package download called RC assist.   Is this necessary to do in addition to what I have already done?  It seems to do the same thing.

Can someone please explain?

THanks

LarryR
2015-5-18
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

RCAssistant is for firmware updates to the RC as well as calibrations which you found in the Phantom Assistant...
2015-5-18
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Northofthe49th is spot on.    Download both Rc Assistant and P2 Assistant.  Also the driver package for mac(If Needed).  You will find both Assistant Software Programs on the same page.  After downloading the RC Assistant,connect the remote by usb.  Turn on the remote.  Update if needed,calibrate joysticks.  While you are their move the x1 s1and s2 switches through their travel. After that, turn off,then disconnect the remote.  Keep it handy. Then connect quad to computer with usb.  After that, power up quad(No Propellers) then open P2 Assistant software.  Check in the bottom left hand corner to see if two little lights are flickering(Blue one and Green one).  That tells you that the quad and program are communicating. Once verified, look under the icon that just reads info.  Check for updates.  If there is one, read up on it first. Most of the time they are good to do  but not always.  After that is squared away, calibrate the joysticks, x1, s1, and s2 channels. You will find all of that under the Basic icon, submenu RC.  Once complete,  place quad on level surface. access the tools icon.  You will see basic and advanced IMU calibration.  This is critical.  With the quad level and stationary perform  all IMU calibrations.  Ignore the MC Too Hot warning(Unless The Quad Is Warm Due To Use). If quad is not hot just continue with calibration.  To verify that the IMU is calibrated drift the cursor over the balloon with a question mark at the top of the calibration menu.  It will give you all of the values that you need to verify IMU is calibrated.  After that with batteries charged you should be good to fly.  Welcome to the skys and enjoy.   Word to the wise.    Research  on you tube anything pertaining to P2s.  On The Kitchen Table With Simon Newton is a good source of useful info.  Take nothing for granted and you should not have to send the bird away for repairs.  
2015-5-18
Use props
larry.reinstein
lvl.1

United States

Michael Starley Posted at 2015-5-19 02:01
Northofthe49th is spot on.    Download both Rc Assistant and P2 Assistant.  Also the driver package  ...

Thanks so much.   Followup question:  Both software packages (P Assist and RC Assist) have a tab for Calibration of the joysticks etc.   Do they both do the same thing?  Is doing it only on one of them OK, or are both calibrations needed.?
2015-5-18
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Both.  Calibration lets the computer know the mechanical end points of the joystick's.  Then tells the quad that info when you calibrate the quad. Calibrate remote first.    Then quad.  Glad that I can help.     
2015-5-18
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

larry.reinstein Posted at 2015-5-19 02:37
Thanks so much.   Followup question:  Both software packages (P Assist and RC Assist) have a tab f ...

The calibrations with RC-Assistant and Phantom-Assistant are different.  RC-assistant calibrates only the transmitter side whereas the Phantom-Assistant calibrates only the receiver side.
2015-5-18
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

This calibration method works best:

2015-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now