Excess data usage
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spindrift
lvl.1
Australia

Hi fellow members,

On using my Ph 4 Adv. for the second time, I took a photo and a 3 minute video as a trial. I then received a warning from my phone data provider that I had used 6 GB of data very quickly. Would this be caused by the GPS connection from the drone to remote control or from taking the video and photo, then transmitting back to phone on the remote.

Has anyone had this same problem and advice as how to rectify ?

Thanks in advance.

2018-7-3
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

One possibility is that you have both "Cache during video shooting" enabled in DJI Go 4 and you have iCloud photo sharing enabled on your phone (assuming you're running iOS).  You could disable one or both of those settings while you're out shooting.
2018-7-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Using data for simply caching maps as you fly will not eat up anymore than 100mb's after an hour of flight. This is definitely something to do with photo sharing.
2018-7-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, sorry to hear that. You don't need to be connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or via a cellular connection to fly your drone. Did you contact your cellphone provider what is the main reason of the excess data usage?
2018-7-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Would this be caused by the GPS connection from the drone to remote control or from taking the video and photo, then transmitting back to phone on the remote.
None of those use any phone data.
You don't need any phone data to fly at all.
You can switch your phone to airplane mode for flying and it will make no difference.
The data usage isn't from flying.
You'll have to search further to find out where the data is going.

2018-7-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

That sounds like you have chosen "Live Streaming" under 'General Settings'.
Did you?
2018-7-3
Use props
spindrift
lvl.1
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-3 13:59
That sounds like you have chosen "Live Streaming" under 'General Settings'.
Did you?

Thanks for the info, I haven't checked that as yet. would that be under settings in the go-pro app ?

Cheers
2018-7-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

spindrift Posted at 2018-7-3 14:51
Thanks for the info, I haven't checked that as yet. would that be under settings in the go-pro app ?

Cheers

See the screen shot below for that setting.
But if you haven't set it actively it wouldn't do anything like that.

2018-7-3
Use props
spindrift
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-3 07:01
Hi, sorry to hear that. You don't need to be connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi or via a cellular connection to fly your drone. Did you contact your cellphone provider what is the main reason of the excess data usage?

Not as yet, I wanted to ask the forum first for info before asking my provider.
2018-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules