How big are flight record files?
2894 26 2018-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1843799 ft
Belgium

My iPhone just gave me a notification that I was low on disk space.

So I looked at my usage in the GO 4 app, and realized that it has 13GB of data. I deleted the cache, deleted any and all media files in the editor features. So all I should have are my flight records, as far as storage.

I just synced them to the cloud for the first time to back things up.

It seems like the only thing that's in the app (with respect to storage) is the flight records. Does this seem right? I'm dealing with between 50-100 flights in the logs. Does it make sense that that would take up 13GB of data? If not, how should I get rid of that ~10GB of storage? Is it in some kind of inaccesible cache?

No matter what, I want to free up as much of that as possible. I'm assuming that deleting the app and re-syncing the flight records is one option. My primary question is wether 13GB would make sense for 50-100 flights.
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

In my opinion this can't be the flight records which are small size txt files. But you might have a look at your cached video and picture files.
2018-7-3
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Even though you have "deleted any and all media files....." they may still exist, unless you actually reformatted the card.  I'd try a new, and newly formatted card, something 32GB or larger.  If that works, then reformat the original card and try it.  I'd use it as a backup.  
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 13:00
In my opinion this can't be the flight records which are small size txt files. But you might have a look at your cached video and picture files.

Thanks. My instinct was that with 13GB, it was likely media of some sort.

On the DJI GO 4 app, I go to Settings > Clear Cache, and here’s what it shows. The editor has no media showing, as I deleted it.

Of course, I know that media might be there but they're just not indexed or whatever.

How is this for a potential solution?

1. Sync my flight records to the cloud
2. Delete the app
3. Reinstall app / log in
4. sync/load flight records (the same that were synced before the app was deleted)

Thanks
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

Sorry - here's the screen cap
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-3 13:05
Even though you have "deleted any and all media files....." they may still exist, unless you actually reformatted the card.  I'd try a new, and newly formatted card, something 32GB or larger.  If that works, then reformat the original card and try it.  I'd use it as a backup.

I'm not talking about memory on the card -- this is entirely about the memory storage used by the app
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:12
Thanks. My instinct was that with 13GB, it was likely media of some sort.

On the DJI GO 4 app, I go to Settings > Clear Cache, and here’s what it shows. The editor has no media showing, as I deleted it.

That might be a good approach but the screenshots here above do not suggest that you have a lot of App related data to deal with. Thus the root cause might be still something else. Music maybe?
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 13:00

What data points are you talking about? I can export them via the cloud — It gave me a file with only a few  parameters... time in 10Hz increments, battery percentage, lat/lon.

On the other hand, there are plenty more data points logged in the app, including vertica/horizontal speed, camera angle, flight time, GPS status (# of satellites locked on)...

I wish we had access to this detailed info on a CSV!
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 13:23
That might be a good approach but the screenshots here above do not suggest that you have a lot of App related data to deal with. Thus the root cause might be still something else. Music maybe?

I never added or deleted music. Basically, I've never changed anything from whatever is the default state
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:24
What data points are you talking about? I can export them via the cloud — It gave me a file with only a few  parameters... time in 10Hz increments, battery percentage, lat/lon.

On the other hand, there are plenty more data points logged in the app, including vertica/horizontal speed, camera angle, flight time, GPS status (# of satellites locked on)...

You can have all that when uploading your flight records to this site: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Enjoy it :-)
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 13:26
You can have all that when uploading your flight records to this site: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Enjoy it :-)

That sounds great! But does it work for a Mavic Pro?

Basically, I want to collect every last bit of data to chart and treat as a sort-of-formal crash investigation/reconstruction. I work with video, so I can make it work. I would learn plenty in the process! Well worth the time. I want to learn everything I can about my drone!

Thankfully there was no damage. It flew into a tree so gently that it was almost like a net!
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:25
I never added or deleted music. Basically, I've never changed anything from whatever is the default state

Sorry, I can't look into your mobile device. I hope you will be able to identify what precisely is taking up so much space and I only tried to hint to possible sources.
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
Belgium

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 13:30
Sorry, I can't look into your mobile device. I hope you will be able to identify what precisely is taking up so much space and I only tried to hint to possible sources.

2. Delete the app
3. Reinstall app / log in
4. sync/load flight records (the same that were synced before the app was deleted)
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:30
That sounds great! But does it work for a Mavic Pro?

Yes, it works for Mavic Pro like for the other DJI drones as well. Start with that and in a few minutes I'll be able to take you to the next levely of flight record analysis thanks to ouur great forum member JJB who has himself programmed an outstanding software to do so. Just need to quickly search the link for you.
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:31

As mentioned before, it might work and it will not do harm.
2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:31

Wait! You should backup your original flightrecords stored on your mobile device before doing that!
And when I refer to flightrecords I am talking about files named like ''DJIFlightRecord_2018-01-12_[11-11-30].txt'' being saved in a DJI subfolder on your mobile device.

2018-7-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Here you can download the above mentioned software made by our fellow pilot JJB: https://forum.dji.com/thread-145649-1-1.html
2018-7-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I delete all of this regularly and yes it takes up a lot of space.
I also only keep one month of flight records.
Once you clear this out you will see your storage space increase.
2018-7-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-7-3 23:02
I also only keep one month of flight records.

Spot on   
2018-7-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Thanks Andy
2018-7-4
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-3 13:16
I'm not talking about memory on the card -- this is entirely about the memory storage used by the app

Thank you for adding that distinction.
I apologize for overlooking the point of your post.  

I can't answer your question about the size of files that may accumulate, but I have an idea how you might check if they are being stored on your phone, and how large.  As I read your post it reads as though the message is coming from the phone.  If that's correct you can check how much storage is being taken by the phone.  Checking the Settings > General > iPhone Storage, then click on the DJI GO 4 app, you will get a display that tells how much storage is used by the App, Documents, and Data.  If you get a similar message in the future that would be a way to determine how much is being accumulated on your phone.
2018-7-4
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-7-3 23:02
I also only keep one month of flight records.

Thanks for the help! Do you offload those records using iTunes? back them up before you delete them?
2018-7-6
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-4 08:58
Thank you for adding that distinction.
I apologize for overlooking the point of your post.  

No problem! I appreciate the help.

The alert is how I first became aware of the problem. I immediately checked storage like you said, and discovered the specific problem this way. That's when I decided to go to the forum for more advice
2018-7-6
Use props
djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-3 13:39
Wait! You should backup your original flightrecords stored on your mobile device before doing that!
And when I refer to flightrecords I am talking about files named like ''DJIFlightRecord_2018-01-12_[11-11-30].txt'' being saved in a DJI subfolder on your mobile device.

As far as those .txt files that I can offload using iTunes -- Are they all-inclusive? They don't appear to be. They only include 4 data fields, whereas when I view the map in flight records, it shows the control stick inputs. Is there any way that I can preserve all of the flight data, not just what is stored in those .txt files that I'll back up?

Thanks for that quick clarification! I'm about to go in and offload all of those text files I just want a bit more clarification before I jump on it. My memory storage is OK now (deleted other info), so it's not urgent for me to do this
2018-7-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-6 09:52
As far as those .txt files that I can offload using iTunes -- Are they all-inclusive? They don't appear to be. They only include 4 data fields, whereas when I view the map in flight records, it shows the control stick inputs. Is there any way that I can preserve all of the flight data, not just what is stored in those .txt files that I'll back up?

Thanks for that quick clarification! I'm about to go in and offload all of those text files I just want a bit more clarification before I jump on it. My memory storage is OK now (deleted other info), so it's not urgent for me to do this

To my best knowledge they also include the stick movements because once uploaded to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ also the stick movements can be read from the generated CSV file. But you might wish to verify with others here.
2018-7-6
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-6 09:52
As far as those .txt files that I can offload using iTunes -- Are they all-inclusive? They don't appear to be. They only include 4 data fields, whereas when I view the map in flight records, it shows the control stick inputs. Is there any way that I can preserve all of the flight data, not just what is stored in those .txt files that I'll back up?

Thanks for that quick clarification! I'm about to go in and offload all of those text files I just want a bit more clarification before I jump on it. My memory storage is OK now (deleted other info), so it's not urgent for me to do this

These are all data which include log files. MCDatFlightRecords include the biggest .dat files.
If you save the MCDatFlightRecords and SyncResult directory you should bee good.
2018-7-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

djiuser_4aYDTkEfqWyM Posted at 2018-7-6 09:47
Thanks for the help! Do you offload those records using iTunes? back them up before you delete them?

I totally delete them. But you can re-sync them.
2018-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules