A few questions related to a broken drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixedmindz
New

United States

ok, so just before I started hearing "I told you so" from my wife,
I uncerimoniously crashed my phantom 3 into the side of the garage.

The Symptom's are:
    1. During startup the motors start to spin up, then pulse twice (error code?), then stop.
    2. While it spins up, with props on, one motor is clearly spinning slower.
    3. with props off, twisting by hand, the one motor in question has slightly more resistance than the others, yet spins freely, and appears the same as the others visually.

How can I get at a techdump of the flight data?
                  ....I see the manual says Hook it up to your PC with the pilot App... (I thought it is iOS and Android only)   

Does this sound like a burnt out ESC?
(current best guess)

I've contacted my local DJI service center. Helidirect.com
I'm not sure who I spoke with there, but they said they don't have and Phantom3 parts and didn't know when they would.
Are replacement parts available for order yet? (through my authorized DJI service partner)     
If not, any idea when they will start shipping.

ALso, what'sup with support? Online Chat was a complete Fail, refered me to US Support number and got something like a 'This Line is not Provisioned' error message.
email has been auto-responded to, so I'll wait for that response.

And lastly, I have no expectations of excercising a Waranty after crashing into a garage (and a tree).
Any harm in popping her open?
I guess I'm asking if I should expect trouble in the future seeking out-of-waranty repair/parts service.

Thankyou!

-grounded-
I did get some footage before the crash:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp4lE7WB637lqPBsP_oh6Ur1xX90O0x3e

2015-5-18
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI support phone numbers are currently down in the states, they posted on another forum that they are awaiting that to be sorted, they are available on email though,
2015-5-18
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

as for the P3, The P3 ESC are the new smart type, (like the E310 420ESC) these can monitor the motors for problems, when the P3 is first turned on it pulses the motors twice to make sure the props are tight, its possible its detecting a higher load on one motor and powering down,  you may just have one bad motor,
there is currently no app to download diagnostic data, the manual is a little ahead of us on that, it s a future release, you have likely damaged at motor, any external damage to the bird ?

if its just the motor you could get the E310 motor fitted as its the same one used just diferent colour.
2015-5-18
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should pray - and do a whole bunch of resets and restarts - IMU calibrations, compass calibrations (away from the house!), etc.

It may just be that things will somehow reset themselves.
Other than that, you are going to have to send it back to DJI since no one else can troubleshoot or fix.
The good news is that the price will likely be low because it doesn't seem as if you messed it up too badly.
2015-5-18
Use props
srech65
New
United States

I had a fantastic experience with Atlanta Hobby. They don't do warranty work, but they just replaced a motor on one of my older Phantoms (2) and it was very resonable (parts $14 labor $70). Very happy with these guys.  http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/home.asp
2015-5-18
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

The motor is not difficult to remove and take apart. May have knocked a magnet loose or maybe just have some debris in it?
2015-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules