Best Tracking Solution Which DOES NOT Need Cellular Service
781 6 2018-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bsp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44652 ft
United States

I'm going to be taking a camping trip to the middle of nowhwere in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  This location is so remote that there is absolutely zero cellular service.  The sights are amazing and it would be sad to not take advantage of using my Mavic for some nice photography.  I've always used Trackimo where I live locally, which has worked fine, but of course it relies on a 3G/4G cellular network.  This will not work on my camping trip, due to the lack of any cellular network.  
Does anyone have any first-hand experience with a drone tracking solution that will work in this type of remote location, in the unfortunate event that I lose my Mavic?  Keep in mind, I could be flying the drone a couple of miles out.

Any help would be appreciated.
2018-7-7
Use props
bsp
lvl.1
United States

After looking at some of the other posts, I see the the RC Marco Polo is good option, but does have some limitations.  Are there any alternatives to the Marco Polo? Or is that pretty much my only option?
2018-7-7
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Question is even you know the location of drone are you able to get it in that remote area? Can you pass miles jungle and get the drone on tree or cliff? You may need a rescue team to do so.
2018-7-8
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

By far the best system on the market is called VLOS ;-)
2018-7-8
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

bsp Posted at 2018-7-7 06:15
After looking at some of the other posts, I see the the RC Marco Polo is good option, but does have some limitations.  Are there any alternatives to the Marco Polo? Or is that pretty much my only option?

Look at this tracker - No cellular service needed.
2018-7-8
Use props
bsp
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-7-8 21:40
By far the best system on the market is called VLOS ;-)

wow - thanks, you're very helpful
2018-7-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your inquiry, it seems that you loved to use the aircraft with this upcoming camping and that sounds fun if you were able to use your drone there, actually it's not necessary to have cellular data for you to fly your aircraft, I would suggest doing a pre-flight checklist, ensure that the firmware and app are updated and if you're about fly your drone in a different areas I strongly advise to re-calibrate the IMU and compass to ensure that the unit is performing well and regarding with the tracking you'll have the DJI GO 4 app to monitor the aircraft, however, if you're not familiar with the environment especially with GPS signal, I would suggest flying your aircraft with your VLOS. Thank you.
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules