calibrating the compass
2341 13 2018-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5d4db3ea
lvl.1

United States

videos showing how to calibrate a compass show a horizontal 360 sweep of the mavic and then some show a vertical 360 sweep or a sideways mavic 360 sweep.  Which one is it??
2018-7-11
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

You always want to start with the vertical 360 degree sweep and then change it to sideways when prompted on the screen.

Sometimes you will go past 360 degrees.  Don't change orientation due to you going in a complete circle.  Keep going until it changes on the screen.

.. Look at the orientation showing on the screen.

2018-7-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, thank you for reaching DJI forum. Please check the instructions below.

* Go to the DJI GO app > Camera View > Aircraft Status Bar (top of the screen).
* Next to "Compass", tap Calibrate.
* The Aircraft Status Indicator will change from flashing yellow to solid yellow when the aircraft is ready for compass calibration.
*Hold the aircraft upright and rotate it 360 degrees along the central axis.
*Hold the aircraft with its camera facing down, and rotate it 360 degrees along its central axis.
*The Aircraft Status Indicator will change from solid green to flashing green when calibration is complete.
2018-7-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And ensure to rotate counter-clockwise.
2018-7-11
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

When in doubt I looked for instructions on YouTube.
This one is good at  explaining
2018-7-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Here is a video showing the three ways to calibrate the Mavic compass.   

Do note, that compass calibration needs to be done outside, and at least 10-meters away from possible sources of magnetic field interference (aka cars, metal buildings, bicycles, power lines, etc.) and you should not have any magnets or magnetic material on or about you.
2018-7-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-11 09:27
And ensure to rotate counter-clockwise.

What if you are South of Equator?

2018-7-11
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10355532 ft
Canada

I don't know if anyone has told you but you don't have to calibrate the compass everytime you fly.
2018-7-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-11 12:12
What if you are South of Equator?

Hahahahahaha
2018-7-11
Use props
fans5d4db3ea
lvl.1

United States

i'm still confused...all videos show a horizontal rotation first but the second one some videos show the mavic straight down (camera facing down), others show it on its side.  To make matters worse, some show rotating clockwise and others counter clockwise!!  Which is it?? This cant be that difficult to all be on the same page, right??
2018-7-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fans5d4db3ea Posted at 2018-7-12 06:08
i'm still confused...all videos show a horizontal rotation first but the second one some videos show the mavic straight down (camera facing down), others show it on its side.  To make matters worse, some show rotating clockwise and others counter clockwise!!  Which is it?? This cant be that difficult to all be on the same page, right??

I always follow direction of rotation shown on GO-4 app screen.
Also do calibrations well away from any source magnetic interference.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans5d4db3ea Posted at 2018-7-12 06:08
i'm still confused...all videos show a horizontal rotation first but the second one some videos show the mavic straight down (camera facing down), others show it on its side.  To make matters worse, some show rotating clockwise and others counter clockwise!!  Which is it?? This cant be that difficult to all be on the same page, right??

Straight down, counterclockwise and as Hedge said
2018-7-12
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I understand the question.  

The app used to start with the the aircraft horizontal, and then move to vertical.  The directions were very clear, and the images matched the verbiage.  Then with the 4.2.14 version of the app, the image changed.

Now, the first portion is the same but on the second portion, the image shows the aircraft on it's side, not with the nose facing down.  The verbiage is still the same though.

I have tried it both ways, and it has worked both ways.     So I don't know what the true method should be, but what I normally do is horizontal for the first turn, then vertical (nose down) for the second.

2018-7-12
Use props
fans5d4db3ea
lvl.1

United States

3-D Posted at 2018-7-12 07:13
I understand the question.  

The app used to start with the the aircraft horizontal, and then move to vertical.  The directions were very clear, and the images matched the verbiage.  Then with the 4.2.14 version of the app, the image changed.

thanks! I'll stick with that method too.
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules