2092 14 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_0jmenw34QweK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 64091 ft
Croatia

Hi guys,
Since I bought mavic pro I'm struggling to make it work properly.

First i encountered a problem with image transmission to my phone while flying, only thing i see is some flickering pixels. This is solved with litchi app.

Second one is that i can't find the way to change resolution settings fo photos. Yes i did switch to photo mode and i have litchi app also with no settings for this. All photos i made are 960x720.

Latest firmware is on and all apps are latest.

Should i downgrade?

I had phantom 3 standard before and never had this problems.

Phone I'm using is Sony Xperia XZ
2018-7-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

What firmware is your Pro on?
2018-7-12
Use props
djiuser_0jmenw34QweK
lvl.1
Mexico

Hi, i have 0400 what is the latest one as i known but problem with resolution was present even before.
2018-7-12
Use props
bjashton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245932 ft
United Kingdom

The current version of DJI Go 4 available for Android is 4.2.20 and many people are experiencing pixelation of the video on the phone/tablet with this version.

The issue is decoding the video at high speed. Unfortunately the hardware / software support in modern phones isn't ideal (hence DJI having the CrystalSky accessory). I think something they have done has reduced the decoding performance and many phones now can't keep up causing the pixelation. But the exact effect depends on the specific phone and how it's impacted by the performance issue. But it's turned a lot of perfectly usable phones into not usable. Hopefully the developers are aware of this and working on a fix but these things have to be prioritised and take time.

The good news is there is a work around. And experiencing this makes you more aware of the potential issues with updates and so makes you more systematic about applying / testing. Due to this issue my approach is to treat firmware / app updates carefully. I would only update when I am able to test my drone in a safe space to confirm everything is OK and have the time to downgrade things if required.

I recommend downgrading to 4.2.16 which solved the problem for me with the latest Mavic Pro firmware (0400).

Downgrading the DJI Go App Instructions...
Uninstall DJI Go 4
Download and install the required version from - https://apkpure.com/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4/dji.go.v4
NB - You will have to enable to option to install apps that don't come from the Google Play Store. Once it's installed turn that protection back on to keep your phone safe.
Open Play Store -> "My apps and games" and find the app. Using the menu top right disable auto update. (Otherwise it will update again.)

NB - Be careful in Google Play not to press "Update All" and update it by accident. The automatic app updates exclude it with the option above set.)-

Downgrading firmware...
You can use the DJI Assistant app on a PC to change the firmware to the latest or previous 2 versions if there is an issue with an update.
2018-7-13
Use props
djiuser_0jmenw34QweK
lvl.1
United States

@bjashton thanks for great answers, i will try to do this and check. Will let you guys know what happened. Anybody any idea regarding resolution settings?
2018-7-13
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

This is a constant and ongoing issue???!!! Surely DJI can simply stop bloating their app and just run with it??
Stop making Secneo such an important component and concentrate on the hardware???
If Litchi and Drone Harmony etc can run perfectly, happy customers everywhere....same aircraft, same APK....   can you guys not see the light????
You have world wide condemnation right now with your latest crAPP, right before at least 2 other players are destined to release a major competitor to your line....
Seriously??
You could lose easily a fair chunk of a $50BN business if someone else (shortly) brings out something that stops people complaining?????
2018-7-13
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Well it's a little disturbing that the bloat is now gotten to the point that even the most cutting edge performance phones and tablets can't even handle the Go 4 app.  I'm not sure if it's just sloppy coding or actual bloat, but the bottom-line is, after downgrading to 4.2.16 all of my issues disappeared.  It's pretty interesting that they are not recognizing that unless they can reverse this trend, it's going to disenfranchise existing and new customers - Especially if the plan is to force everyone into their CrystalSky monitors, which is going to drastically increase the cost to entry. Let's not forget about the issue reports for those as well.

If they cannot get to the bottom of the 4.2.20 problems and develop a more efficient app, they are heading into very troubled waters, very fast.
2018-7-13
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-7-13 09:16
Well it's a little disturbing that the bloat is now gotten to the point that even the most cutting edge performance phones and tablets can't even handle the Go 4 app.  I'm not sure if it's just sloppy coding or actual bloat, but the bottom-line is, after downgrading to 4.2.16 all of my issues disappeared.  It's pretty interesting that they are not recognizing that unless they can reverse this trend, it's going to disenfranchise existing and new customers - Especially if the plan is to force everyone into their CrystalSky monitors, which is going to drastically increase the cost to entry. Let's not forget about the issue reports for those as well.

If they cannot get to the bottom of the 4.2.20 problems and develop a more efficient app, they are heading into very troubled waters, very fast.

Agreed!

Though some have suggested trying to set cache to SD card instead of device. Some have said it has improved things doing so. For me, it did not.

MP I bought for the ability to have a 1080 feed. 720 is ok for general flying, but I want a higher res for my work. Likely to grab a Phantom 4P, but I bought the MP for it's quieter less obnoxious noise factor. Sending up a P4 is loud by comparison. Awaiting a MP2, but if DJI cannot fix these issues even on their CS, then I may no longer have interest in these products.

It's as if the failures reported on 4.2.20 are compounding daily. On here, Mavic Pilot forum, FB Mavic groups, and others as well.

We depend on solid video transmission feed, and no "aircraft disconnected" issues when flying. The latter is dangerous to a point. I have seen many in our local drone club get this on the app. App just shuts down. Users freak out and panic. Telem data still updates on the RC, so the app gets restarted, as does the device. Nope! same "aircraft disconnected", and the panicked flyer now is unsure what to do. Some push the sticks without having any idea of craft orientation.

I train a lot of flyers in our club of what to do in those events. We even practice by shutting down the app and seeing what they can do to manage their MP. We keep them in VLOS, but many that lose the craft are not always in VLOS. Others are recording, and cannot see the red Leds. I've done that myself and forgot the record button on the RC to disable recording.

Problem that I have seen with "aircraft disconnected" is that it does not RTH until the battery becomes weak. Problem there is, many fly back upwind, some set battery warning to 15%, and the craft can get lost or land before it returns. Others have flown in terrain that did not match RTH settings and it ends up a tree ornament.

Either of all the issues here are thus related to the Go4 app crashing, bad feed, etc. DJI drone flyers are not all well versed for ATTI mode or flying blind on the RC telemetry. That takes a lot of practice, and most buying a drone are not quite avid flyers. Many that join our club are very green.
2018-7-13
Use props
djiuser_0jmenw34QweK
lvl.1
Mexico

I see there is lots of problems going on, something i never experienced on P3. However i never got lost link with the craft. Video is working super fine on litchi and if that's a solution i accept it. But i cant accept the fact that i can't change resolution higher than 920x720 and this is frustrating as i made 3 apsolute great flights and now came up with useless photos. I can't do anything but post on Instagram. Today I'm coming back home and ill do my best to downgrade all, firmware and app so i will post an update.

There should be campaign made on social media against dji to show them how bad they are doing.
2018-7-13
Use props
bjashton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245932 ft
United Kingdom

I think we should be careful about judging what could be the cause as we don't have any evidence.

I think it's unlikely additional features are the issue. It's likely the video decoding is trying to use a hardware acceleration that is missing or not working on some phones. It has fallen back on a software implementation that runs much slower. So a developers legitimate attempt to improve performance has backfired on some hardware.

Video decoding pushes current hardware. And unfortunately Android has many different devices compared with Apple. What they are doing is hard and it's impressive they've managed what they have.

We'll probably find that the problem will go away over a few years as hardware improves and the decoding becomes something the hardware can do comfortably rather than pushing is limits.

The only real solution to risk avoidance is to stop innovating. :-(
2018-7-14
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Don't get the last post. It's one thing to innovate and enhance functionality, but when you create a situation where sloppy coding reduces the reliability and usability of an expensive drone, um, it's time to go back to the drawing board. If you are saying we need to stop flying our drones for a few years so that the hardware of flagship cell phones and tablets can catch up with the brilliant app developers at DJI, me thinks you need to wipe that brown stiff off your nose and get a clue. That's the most absurd post I'vd ever read. If you can flip back and forth between 4.2.16 and 4.2.20 and the former is rock solid and the later is totally unusable, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out there is a serious flaw they need to FIX with the last update. EOD.
2018-7-14
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DJI is the first company who made me NOT to upgrade! I am tech guy (more than 25 years in IT sector) and always was with latest and greatest - but with my Mavic pro I froze situation on a level of jun 2017 and do a happy flying. And nobody can make me upgrade neither of SW portions of my setup - Yes there still some weird issues even with older FW's and SW's but at least I know them and know how to handle and my poor iPad mini 4 still operational (if I had a chance to return to iOS 10 I'll do this right away - but there nothing to do with DJI )
2018-7-14
Use props
djiuser_0jmenw34QweK
lvl.1
Croatia

alex_markov Posted at 2018-7-14 23:08
DJI is the first company who made me NOT to upgrade! I am tech guy (more than 25 years in IT sector) and always was with latest and greatest - but with my Mavic pro I froze situation on a level of jun 2017 and do a happy flying. And nobody can make me upgrade neither of SW portions of my setup - Yes there still some weird issues even with older FW's and SW's but at least I know them and know how to handle and my poor iPad mini 4 still operational  (if I had a chance to return to iOS 10 I'll do this right away - but there nothing to do with DJI  )

Can you post what firmware you are using so i can copy your setup and try, also do need to upgreda/downgreda remote together with drone or you do just drone? Thanks!
2018-7-16
Use props
fleedaddy
lvl.1
United States

Mavic problems. I bought a new Mavic pro white, and mp platinum, goggles, 10 extra batteries and extra chargers, and all the rest of the stuff you can think of including a 200 dollar water tight carrying case, and more. No video feed to cell phone mounted on RC and I am on my 4th BRAND NEW phone this week and still no luck. In the directions it says: CONNECT YOUr MOBILE DEVICE, YA RIGHT! They should have said: BE CAREFUL, MOST MOBILE DEVICES DON'T WORK WITH THE LATEST UPDATES.  Both drones fly and I see the normal info on the screen, everything but a picture or video feed. I did get disconnected, rc to drone, sometimes for some reason? When flying they both take pictures and videos but I see nothing on screen so shooting blind basically. The goggles work which is a big time shocker, so I guess I will be wearing them all the time I fly. I tried everything and spent allot of money on phones. I have thousands in this stuff and have yet to use any of it except for hovering in back yard testing and trying everything on the planet to get this to work. I bought all this equipment to take pictures and videos of my river front land in SLP Mexico. I tried downloading an older app and no luck, it would not install but all the adds did! I guess I need to spend a few hundred more on a high dollar tablet and see if that works? Contacted all my friends with the same stuff and they have the exact same problems I do along with all the others on the internet sites. Some guys are having luck with older phones? I am in disbelief about this whole situation, I just can't believe I have spent weeks hoping I would get a picture on my screen so I can take some photos and videos with my new drones. I am scared to spend more money on phones. Way over 1000 dollars on the new phones not including the new phablet I had and gave away to a dirt poor student. I guess I have no choice but to spend more money on tablet and see if that works? If not I will have a drone barbeque and switch to another brand. What upsets me so much is I have spent weeks trying everything on every forum on the planet that people say to try. I think I have spent a few hundred dollars in internet fees just downloading the DJI GO 4 app so so so so many times. I also don't see anymore where to change the camera resolution? It's gone? I have been in RC airplanes and choppers for around 55 years and they did what they were supposed to do. I thought? it's time to go electric and fly drones with cameras and now so down in the dumps.
2018-10-3
Use props
fleedaddy
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_0jmenw34QweK Posted at 2018-7-13 22:06
I see there is lots of problems going on, something i never experienced on P3. However i never got lost link with the craft. Video is working super fine on litchi and if that's a solution i accept it. But i cant accept the fact that i can't change resolution higher than 920x720 and this is frustrating as i made 3 apsolute great flights and now came up with useless photos. I can't do anything but post on Instagram. Today I'm coming back home and ill do my best to downgrade all, firmware and app so i will post an update.

There should be campaign made on social media against dji to show them how bad they are doing.

You are so right. I am just heart broken with my new drones that are basically useless. If I wanted to just fly a drone around I would have bought a racing drone for a fraction of the money I have in this DJI equipment, and so many new phones, thousands of dollars waisted. And there are so so many with the same problems, I am thinking in the thousands and thousands around the world. Usually when so many people get screwed someone files a class action suit. But I think and hope DJI will fix this soon, I am waiting to use my drones.
2018-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules