iPhone or Android- thoughts???
787 13 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Okay.. I have used my new Mavic two times and was updating it again tonight through the App.  I had previously noticed my phone (Samsung Note 5 - Android) was charging when connected and the RC charge was dropping very quickly.  So I started reading through the forums and it appears this is a problem with the Android phones but doesn't happen with the iPhones.  Additionally, I have a disconnect issue with my phone when flying unless I turn airplane mode on.  According to what I've read so far, users with the iPhone aren't having this issue.
Therefore my question is this:  Would you recommend using an Android based phone or the iOS/ iPhone for connecting to the RC?  If the iPhone, then are users having the disconnect issue with the iPhones?  Is it worth the expense to switch phones or buy a small IOS TABLET?  

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
2018-7-12
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPhone X and have had zero issues. I keep all apps and OS up to date.
2018-7-12
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

TX99517 Posted at 2018-7-12 19:36
I have an iPhone X and have had zero issues. I keep all apps and OS up to date.

Thanks... does the RC charge your phone while connected to the side port?
2018-7-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

IOS, If you look at your MP box it says made for iPhone.
Just saying
2018-7-12
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I use both Apple and Android device. iOS seems more stable for me and less issues.
2018-7-12
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Thanks  guys... I'm an Android guy all the way, but seriously considering the switch for the sake of the MP..
2018-7-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-13 03:05
Thanks  guys... I'm an Android guy all the way, but seriously considering the switch for the sake of the MP..

I agree.  I'm using the same set up as you are.  Note 5.  The ONLY problem that I've had worth mentioning has been bad usb cables.  I got rid of the one from DJI and just use the bottom port.  Almost 5 Million feet travel so far.  I'm not an Apple Fan boy, and I've had no problem with my flights using my Note 5.  
2018-7-13
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-7-13 05:14
I agree.  I'm using the same set up as you are.  Note 5.  The ONLY problem that I've had worth mentioning has been bad usb cables.  I got rid of the one from DJI and just use the bottom port.  Almost 5 Million feet travel so far.  I'm not an Apple Fan boy, and I've had no problem with my flights using my Note 5.

AHHHH.  Finally another Note 5 user!!  Speedypickup actually uses the Galaxy S9+ and has had the same disconnect issues as I've had.  Have you had any disconnect issues as well, or do you already fly with Airplane mode turned on?

Are you noticing a significant drain on the RC while plugged into your phone or does the bottom port not charge the phone?
Since we're running the same set up, I hope you don't mind me using you as a sounding board. I'm very new to the whole DJI platform.

Thanks
2018-7-13
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-12 19:38
Thanks... does the RC charge your phone while connected to the side port?

No, no power from RC to phone. I carry battery packs for quick recharges in between flights.
2018-7-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Android user here, Xiaomo Mi Max2 (6.4 inch) ; not a single problem with GoApp 4.16.
cheers
JJB
2018-7-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Android user here, Xiaomo Mi Max2 (6.4 inch) ; not a single problem with GoApp 4.16.
cheers
JJB
2018-7-13
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-13 05:25
AHHHH.  Finally another Note 5 user!!  Speedypickup actually uses the Galaxy S9+ and has had the same disconnect issues as I've had.  Have you had any disconnect issues as well, or do you already fly with Airplane mode turned on?

Are you noticing a significant drain on the RC while plugged into your phone or does the bottom port not charge the phone?

Hey, no problems ...

A)  I've occasionally had a phone disconnect problem.  The RC stays connected.  If I'm close, I just return and land.  If I'm further away, I punch RTH.  

B)  Usually, I do fly with the phone in Airplane mode.  I just walked in a few minutes ago from running through 3 batteries and I didn't go to airplane mode this time.  It's usually about 50/50 that I remember to switch it.  Still didn't have any bugs with my any of my flights.  

C)  Significant battery drain.  Hmmm...    I hot shot my phone on the way to the field to fly.  I start out at 98%-100%  Fly 3 batteries and I end with 60-70% left over.  I just pop the charger back in on my way home.  

D)  Bottom port on the RC does charge the phone.  I don't know why they set it up that way.  As I said, my phone usually has about 60-70% remaining and my controller is sitting at 48% right now after 3 flights and about 85,000 Feet travel distance.  

One thing  you might want to try... and I'm assuming that since you are using a Note 5 you are more than likely still running Android 7 or 7.1.  Before I fly I go to Settings>Device maintenance.  Let it scan usage.  It's looking for Open Apps.  (Stuff that DOESN'T show up as open apps)  The phone will return a percentage.  Click "Optimize Now."  This will close those apps using Processing power that are running in the background.  Then Click "Done."

Then on the next screen, click "Battery."  This will come up with a list of OTHER programs that are still hanging around.  Click "Save Power."  That will put those apps to sleep.  

Then you can hit the left bottom button and close everything else before you start flying.  

If you want, you can also go to Airplane mode.  That will save a bit more processing power and battery usage.  It could also reduce any possible interference between your phones bluetooth, Wifi, Cellular... and the controller.  (Why take a chance)

The source of any problems that I have had have always been originated from my USB Cable.  I started out using DJI's Cable.  But it doesn't last long.  Trying to find a 90 degree usb cable is a pain.  I finally found one at Staples online.  (It's called a "Left Angle" Cable.)   But it didn't last long.  The one I'm using now is a Braided, Thick, Extra heavy duty cable.  Today was the first time with it, but it worked great.  I usually keep 3-4 in my bag as a backup.  

I might be a fluke by having the most excellent built MP every to come out of the factory, but mine has been PERFECT since out of the Box.  Failures have been video only.  The RC remains connected.  I've had a few little glitches with the Cache photos making it to the phone, but I found a workaround.  

Let us know how it works out.. and have fun..

EDIT:  I forgot.  Latest Firmware updated just the other day and running Go4 app 4.2.20  Still waiting on .21 or whatever it is to make it down to me.  
2018-7-13
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-7-13 08:29
Hey, no problems ...

A)  I've occasionally had a phone disconnect problem.  The RC stays connected.  If I'm close, I just return and land.  If I'm further away, I punch RTH.  

Thanks.... Good information!!!
You're lucky with your MP.  This is my 2nd.  Had disconnect issue and was uncomfortable with it.  Exchanged it and still had disconnect issue.  It was always in an open space and always RTH, but wouldn't land - just hover.   Turned on Airplane mode and ..... VOILA - no problems (yet).  I am using the factory USB though, so I think I'll switch that out this weekend.

Thanks again for the full run down.  SOOOO  Appreciated.

Jamey
2018-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the information. I highly recommend using a mobile device that is included on the list of recommended mobile devices. As long as it is a part of the recommended mobile devices then that device will work properly with the DJI Mavic Pro. These devices that are listed are tested by our DJI Engineers on the DJI Mavic Pro.
2018-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules