Is iPad mini 2 a good choice?
1425 15 2018-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DEpifJqPZ635
lvl.1
United States

Hello I just have a general question I recently purchased the mavic pro and have been using it on the Google Nexus 7 tablet but when I try to record video it is very choppy I am wondering if I upgrade to an iPad Mini 2 will this fix the problem if not can somebody please recommend a good tablet within my budget of $200 thank you
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate taking time of bringing this query about which device works great. For a better understanding, I will be posting some of the fully compatible devices below. Thank you.

2018-7-16
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Mini2 is 1GB, A7 so I doubt it will run well enough for the heavy weighted Go4 app.

My Mini4 is an A8 w 2G ram and recently started getting issues of blocks in video feed. I think the Mini4 is the next to be chopped from the list of recommended tablets. They must have sold a bunch of them over the past few months with the Android devices as buggy with that app. Wait until those no longer work and the community of iOS users implode
2018-7-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I use a iPad mini 2 with no issues no have done so for over 1yr 1/2. Yes I'm running the latest firmware and the latest iOS update as well. So yes it's a great choice.
2018-7-16
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33606 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-7-16 10:24
I use a iPad mini 2 with no issues no have done so for over 1yr 1/2. Yes I'm running the latest firmware and the latest iOS update as well. So yes it's a great choice.

Hi, I’m facing the same choice, I can get an iPad Mini2 pretty cheap and just want to know if it will work with the current version of GO4. Seem to be a lot of conflicting posts about this - wonder if there’s a definitive answer seeing as were all talking about the same app - GO4!
2018-7-30
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

I upgraded to a mini 4 and works excellent.  Dont think the Mini 2 is fast enough.
2018-7-30
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Homeyjay Posted at 2018-7-30 10:37
Hi, I’m facing the same choice, I can get an iPad Mini2 pretty cheap and just want to know if it will work with the current version of GO4. Seem to be a lot of conflicting posts about this - wonder if there’s a definitive answer seeing as were all talking about the same app - GO4!

I without a doubt have no issues with iPad mini 2 wifi version.
Been using it since I got my MP Feb last year. Yes I'm on current
firmware on both MP and iPad.
2018-7-30
Use props
Homeyjay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33606 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 2018-7-30 19:29
I without a doubt have no issues with iPad mini 2 wifi version.
Been using it since I got my MP Feb last year. Yes I'm on current
firmware on both MP and iPad.

How do you find the brightness outside though? I’ve seen a few people saying that they really can’t see anything unless they are in the shade or have one of those cover things!
2018-8-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>

Homeyjay Posted at 2018-8-3 06:05
How do you find the brightness outside though? I’ve seen a few people saying that they really can’t see anything unless they are in the shade or have one of those cover things!

Again no complaints. I don't use a sun shade.
I am 48yrs old with 20/20 vision I see my screen clearly and
fly a min of a half mile away every flight. It works for me
2018-8-3
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Homeyjay Posted at 2018-8-3 06:05
How do you find the brightness outside though? I’ve seen a few people saying that they really can’t see anything unless they are in the shade or have one of those cover things!

Not many tablets are going to do well in sunlight unless over 600 nits. Even that is borderline good.

Mini2's are not doing well with the app, and many reporting Mini4's now starting to have major problems with video feed as well. My Mini4 goes to weird stuff with the app at times. Even after reboots and reinstalling. Sometimes its ok, other times very bad screen cut off, blocks of video missing, and even the zebra bars start kicking in when Auto Exposure Warning is disabled. Mine is not the only one either. Also note the iOS tablets I have used including the iPad Pro are not friendly to hot areas or temps below freezing. My Mini4 shuts down in either situation rapidly. Others at our RC field have complained similarly of the iPad Pro. Hot sun= shut down. Keep them shaded and out of the heat.

Some have had better luck, but the Go4 app is getting more and more weighted and taxing a lot of devices.

I recommend something with at least 4g ram and faster cpu. Mini 4 is 2G ram and an A8 which is kid of dated for what the DJI app requires.

YMMV. Try one, if it works great, if it don't or you start having issues, buy a stronger device because it does not seem that DJI is going to remedy this anytime soon.
2018-8-3
Use props
dominikalp
lvl.1
Poland

Hi what about battery time between iPad Mini and iPhone? Did you guys compared them? I'm asking as iPhone battery is consumed super fast during GO4 app. Is that the same for iPad Mini?
2018-9-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Got a couple of minor glitches with my Mini 4 cellular but I found switching off the video cache completely stopped the glitches. Currently works flawlessly.  
2018-9-24
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

I was thinking about the same thing .. however my last Apple purchase was an ipod back in 2005, I think I am leaning towards a crystal sky display. I know that it is more money but I am no longer part of the Apple eco system and don't really care to be.
2018-9-24
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

No no no, the iPad mini 2 will no way work with the latest app version.
Maybe on some previous version.
But it’s way too complicated to downgrade the app on iOS, it’s super easy on Android.

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-24
Use props
spark-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-24 04:24
No no no, the iPad mini 2 will no way work with the latest app version.
Maybe on some previous version.
But it’s way too complicated to downgrade the app on iOS, it’s super easy on Android.

I use an iPad Mini 2 16GB Wifi on iOS 12 with my Mavic Pro 2, and seem to have no issues with it.
It's the only thing I use it for, so it's not bloated with other software. Not sure if that helps or not.
2018-9-24
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

spark-ch Posted at 2018-9-24 06:20
I use an iPad Mini 2 16GB Wifi on iOS 12 with my Mavic Pro 2, and seem to have no issues with it.
It's the only thing I use it for, so it's not bloated with other software. Not sure if that helps or not.

Wow, that’s surprising. And what max distance can you achieve on it before getting the disconnect?
Usually if the device can’t handle the app version, then you will have disconnects and short range.

Fly safely
Alex
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules