CrystalSky YES or NO?
1035 7 2018-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mpdigiman
lvl.3
Ireland

Apart from having a brighter screen, does the crystalsky make it easier to focus, perticularily in low light?
I currently use iphone 6s and in low light situations its very difficult to see the focus peaking on my X5 osmo pro.
Will having a crystalsky solve this problem and ensure better focus control in low light?
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Other than larger viewing area, I don't see how it would.  
2018-7-16
Use props
Texan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637287 ft
United States

If you've extra cash why not, but get the 7.85 HB not UB...
2018-7-16
Use props
mpdigiman
lvl.3
Ireland

Thanks for your help.
I really just need to know if the brighter screen of the Crystalsky made focusing easier especially in low light situations. I find it hard to see any red color peaking on my iPhone so its tricky to focus in low light.
2018-7-17
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft

I find the CS is much better than my mobile its bright and very sharp.

And I am happy with my 5.5 but my only complaint is its over priced for what it is but I still got it
2018-7-30
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>

Because the Crystalsky screen is much brighter than the screen of any current Apple iPad, iPhone or Android phone, it makes it much easier to see if the live video image is in focus and red focus peaking is easily observed - particularly when the pilot and mobile device are in bright sunlight. In LOW LIGHT situations, the Crystalsky, of course, will still provides a very bright live video image.

However, in ANY situation, I find that the best way to ensure that the image is in focus is to use the Auto Focus feature and tap the screen where I want to ensure sharp focus on the live video, and ensure I then hear the confirmation "beep" that auto focus has occurred. I find that autofocus maintains focus 90% of the time as camera distance to objects changes during an extended shoot. However, when sharp focus is critical, I always do a tap on the screen to ensure focus is obtained.  I do not typically use focus peaking, as I find red outlines all over the image distracting. I'm sure other DJI drone videographers may prefer to use manual focusing and focus peaking - that's great. We all have our own techniques for our style and type of shoots.
2018-8-2
Use props
mpdigiman
lvl.3
Ireland

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-8-2 16:38
Because the Crystalsky screen is much brighter than the screen of any current Apple iPad, iPhone or Android phone, it makes it much easier to see if the live video image is in focus and red focus peaking is easily observed - particularly when the pilot and mobile device are in bright sunlight. In LOW LIGHT situations, the Crystalsky, of course, will still provides a very bright live video image.

However, in ANY situation, I find that the best way to ensure that the image is in focus is to use the Auto Focus feature and tap the screen where I want to ensure sharp focus on the live video, and ensure I then hear the confirmation "beep" that auto focus has occurred. I find that autofocus maintains focus 90% of the time as camera distance to objects changes during an extended shoot. However, when sharp focus is critical, I always do a tap on the screen to ensure focus is obtained.  I do not typically use focus peaking, as I find red outlines all over the image distracting. I'm sure other DJI drone videographers may prefer to use manual focusing and focus peaking - that's great. We all have our own techniques for our style and type of shoots.

Thank you TheMann58 for your very informative comment. You answered my key question - if the crystalsky is easier to see focus peaking on the brighter screen.
Thanks for taking the time to explain, Regards, mpdigiman
2018-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I use 5.5 with Osmo yes it will definitely help, also position has to be directly at the back of Osmo which IMO works a lot better.
2018-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules