It's arrived! And a question about NAZA vs. Phantom modes
1348 7 2015-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

My Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 is here, I've charged everything up, checked the calibration, updated the firmware to 3.14 (gulp!) and it is just sitting here because it is blowing a gale out there!

One question.  The manual and Phantom software warn against switching to NAZA mode before doing all the preliminary flight training.  But Phantom mode is just GPS flight, isn't it?  If I switch to NAZA, but leave S1 in the top position, is it just like being in Phantom mode?  Presumably the warnings are there to avoid people being caught out by switching the mode accidentally, or is there some other difference between them?

Edited because I got S1 and S2 mixed up...
2015-5-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

S2 is your left switch and S1 is your right switch.  I put a rubber band around the range extender bar to hold the S1 switch in GPS mode when I had the NAZA-M mode selected in the software on the computer.  That way, I would not accidently hit the switch into ATTI mode or failsafe mode.  You still have the left switch (S2) activated to get course lock in center position and home lock in the bottom position.
2015-5-21
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

Thanks for the correction Gerry!  So really I have nothing to lose in changing the mode more-or-less straight away.
2015-5-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

srtgray Posted at 2015-5-21 22:09
Thanks for the correction Gerry!  So really I have nothing to lose in changing the mode more-or-less ...

You will gain the Course Lock and Home Lock on the left S2 switch and when you take off the rubber band around the S1 switch, you will have gained, ATTI mode and Failsafe or manual mode depending what position you selected from the drop down menu for the bottom position of the switch.  If the S1 switch is in the top position, you will be in GPS mode, but course lock and home lock on the S2 are activated.
2015-5-21
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

OK, the wind dropped so I got to take it out and fly.  Fun!!  It seemed to drift more than I have seen in the videos I have watched though.  Is this due to being in Naza-m mode, or because it only had 6 (occasionally7) satellites locked?
2015-5-21
Use props
Barney Rubbel
lvl.4
United States

srtgray Posted at 2015-5-22 00:59
OK, the wind dropped so I got to take it out and fly.  Fun!!  It seemed to drift more than I have se ...

If you have S1 in the middle position, this is ATTI mode, and the bird will float in the wind because it is not locked to GPS. Thus, if you get it going in one direction and let off the stick, it will continue in that direction instead of trying to stop and stay still.
If both switches are in their top position, it should hover in one place w/o moving around too much. Strong winds will make it fight to hold its position, but it should try to stay in the same place. Hope that helps. Welcome aboard and happy flying!    Barney
2015-5-21
Use props
srtgray
lvl.2

Switzerland

S1 was in top position.  I went out again this morning, skies were clearer but still only had 6 satellites.  Seemed to hover a little better, and I went into Atti. mode which made it slew around much more.  I think maybe my expectations were a bit high
2015-5-22
Use props
gasquetmike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1546834 ft
United States

srtgray Posted at 2015-5-22 16:42
S1 was in top position.  I went out again this morning, skies were clearer but still only had 6 sate ...

your expectations are right, it will hold in one spot really well if you have enough satellites and no wind. I cant believe how stable they are.
2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules