Don't let it take off.
909 24 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Visalia California
lvl.2
United States

I think DJI needs to build into the software that the drone won't take off if there is anyone near it. Those 4 blades are certain death. One nick in the neck and its all over. All you crying about the height limit and hitting aircraft is non-sense. The real danger is on the ground. Get on it DJI!

2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for that important information that you have shared with DJI Forum today. It is really important to place safety first before anything else. Rest assured that I will be sending this important information to our DJI R&D Team for further development.
2018-7-17
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Havent heard of anybody getting there throat cut open by a drone taking off.
What you are proposing is imposible and a little bit ridiculous im sorry to say.
The drone would need to be able to have a full 360° sensor array it would also need to be able to differentiate a person from any other object.
The easiest fix to your issue if you are so worried about it is to maybe place prop gaurds on your drone and fly responsibly.
It should not be the drones responsibility to not take off or fly into people that responsibility is with the pilot and the pilot alone.
Read your rules and laws you are not allowed to fly within 30 mtrs of people who are not involved in the flight of the drone.
So as a responsible pilot it is upto you to make sure that your take of and landing area is clear.
2018-7-17
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Get prop guards if it bothers you that much.
2018-7-17
Use props
Visalia California
lvl.2
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-7-17 12:09
Havent heard of anybody getting there throat cut open by a drone taking off.
What you are proposing is imposible and a little bit ridiculous im sorry to say.
The drone would need to be able to have a full 360° sensor array it would also need to be able to differentiate a person from any other object.

What I am proposing is far more likely than a height restriction and the drone hitting an aircraft. I love how they impose restrictions on what has never happened and people on the ground get hit by drones daily and nothing is done about that.
2018-7-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The last thing we need are more restrictions based on nothing but paranoia.  
2018-7-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Visalia California Posted at 2018-7-17 13:56
What I am proposing is far more likely than a height restriction and the drone hitting an aircraft. I love how they impose restrictions on what has never happened and people on the ground get hit by drones daily and nothing is done about that.

I think DJI needs to build into the software that the drone won't take off if there is anyone near it.
I think you need to invent the sensor that would be necessary to do this.
Then you can sell the idea to DJI.

I love how they impose restrictions on what has never happened and people on the ground get hit by drones daily and nothing is done about that.

I love how you go overboard about something that's a complete non-issue.
People on the ground get hit by drones daily?
The main reason nothing is done about that is because it's just not happening.
If the pilots are too dumb to launch away from people, those people should be smart enough to step back away from the drone.
2018-7-17
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Brazil

I fully agree with post 3 and 4, there are clear instructions in the manual how to take of safe. I don't know about you but if someone is close with the face to my drone I don't even think of to start the motors running.
Operation a drone is also using a little bit of common sense dont you think? They can't cover all possibilities of damages and injuries.

Flying safe starts with using your brains IMHO
2018-7-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The P4P/v2 both have 360º sensing, no need to  make a new sensor, so why couldnt it be that if it picked up an object within 1 or 2m then it wouldnt take off, or better still, the motors would shut down or not start up,  this could be turned off if close 1/4's was needed, and yes, i know the side sensors are for beginner or tripod why not for take off too, hey, dont shoot me down, im just adding more to the convo  

PS, i wouldnt care one way or the other, just sounds like a good safety feature to me, it  only takes a dog to come running up from behind, hey, its not out of the realms  of possibility....
2018-7-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I think there is more bark than bite.

But please don’t quote me on that, if you have already invested in carbon fibre reinforced props. ;-)

Anything with spinning blades can injure sensitive tissue. Particularly facial areas like your valuable eyes...

I saw this the other day, and thought I could share it here, with you, tonight.
Yes, it’s a meme, not a funny one.
709A2A8D-E885-477A-A15E-D8E355056E98.jpeg

Pretty graphic, but the point is clear. Why I never hand catch or launch my drones.

RedHotPoker

2018-7-17
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

If you can't handle your Phantom in a safe manner then sell it, it is your responsibility as pilot to make sure your flights are made in secure manner and following your local rules.
Why should we pay a lot extra for a feature that should not be needed at all?
2018-7-17
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

This is what the person holding the remote  is there for... checking safety conditions, including no one is near the drone -and the drone doesn't charge into anybody's neck.  And anyway there are prop guards to be bought at the DJI Store...
2018-7-18
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Visalia California Posted at 2018-7-17 13:56
What I am proposing is far more likely than a height restriction and the drone hitting an aircraft. I love how they impose restrictions on what has never happened and people on the ground get hit by drones daily and nothing is done about that.

are you suggesting a software limitation preventing  drone owners from sneakily †hrowing their drones at innocent, unaware bystanders in a 30 meters radius?
2018-7-18
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Should such a sensor be invented perhaps it could then be extended to full sized aircraft too, so that they could not take off with people around them. Would be difficult for the ground crew of course, but they are trained to stay away from such things as rotating propellors, as indeed are most sensible humans. For the non sensible humans we have the rules, which are in turn enforced by the pilot in control. If those rules cannot be enforced by the pilot, even for the said random dog, then motor start should not be initiated, as the flight could not be undertaken safely. There does come a point where a pilot needs to take responsibility for his or her actions, if they cannot take that responsibility  then they should not fly.
For the record my wife works in a very busy accident and emergency department of a large regional hospital. In the eighteen months or so she has been there not one drone related injury has been reported of whatever level. Safety is important, is vital, is paramount and anything that can be done to increase safety must be welcomed.  However, reliance on a sensor, should one exist, brings complacency which could lead to injury as the pilot was not paying too much attention, especially if the sensor became faulty.
2018-7-18
Use props
yarik83
lvl.2
United States

I have been hit by the prop of a DJI phantom when I was trying to deflect a falling phantom. I take full responsibility because situation could have been preventable, I was flying between trees on purpose and in the heat of the moment someone distracted me, it hit a branch and went plonk and headed for only patch of concrete so stupid me went after the drone on the whim. Even then when I got hit by the prop, it hurt like a truck and I had subcutaneous hemorrhage but no laceration.

I have seen a person lacerate themselves with a phantom but that person had no idea what they were doing flying the drone, tried to hand catch it while showing off to another person, having zero experience in flying or hand catching and while holding phantom by the leg with throttle arm they tried to shimmy opposite hand on remote control and hit full throttle while tilting drone towards their face. Person had a deep cut but situation like that was entirely preventable and self inflicted.

To ask DJI to create such sensor is flat out stupid. Out of all the people flying drones all across the world for all those years.... 99.99999999999999999999% do not get hurt by props. Development of a 3d sensing tech to detect humans to prevent takeoff is not worth the bother given immaculate safety record.

I hand launch about 10% of the time and hand catch 100% of the time and never hand issues. My first phrase to anyone in 50 foot radius is to warn them BEFORE I land and before I take off. I fly commercially and recreationally. People understand. They do not need telling twice.
2018-7-18
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure I've ever come across a sillier thread than this.   Another solution in search of a problem.
2018-7-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

yarik83 Posted at 2018-7-18 04:06
I have been hit by the prop of a DJI phantom when I was trying to deflect a falling phantom. I take full responsibility because situation could have been preventable, I was flying between trees on purpose and in the heat of the moment someone distracted me, it hit a branch and went plonk and headed for only patch of concrete so stupid me went after the drone on the whim. Even then when I got hit by the prop, it hurt like a truck and I had subcutaneous hemorrhage but no laceration.

I have seen a person lacerate themselves with a phantom but that person had no idea what they were doing flying the drone, tried to hand catch it while showing off to another person, having zero experience in flying or hand catching and while holding phantom by the leg with throttle arm they tried to shimmy opposite hand on remote control and hit full throttle while tilting drone towards their face. Person had a deep cut but situation like that was entirely preventable and self inflicted.

You are right, idiots will always find way to hurt them self or others.
To ask for idiot proof drone from DJI is not what is needed it THINKING which these people need.
How many casualties have we had by Dji drones?
Based on what I have seen it is much more danger to use selfie stick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_selfie-related_injuries_and_deaths
2018-7-18
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Makes me think about the OSHA cowboy picture.   ;-)

2018-7-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-7-18 06:51
This fella accidentally decapitated his wife while flying a drone on their honeymoon at Niagra Falls.  

Her body fell into the falls & was never recovered.  Fortunately he was able to save her head & she survived the ordeal.  Nick & Helena have been happily married for 2 years.  The couple plan to have children through a surrogate.

Were can i get one of those without having to go to jail for it.
2018-7-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Actually on second thoughts its the head end thats the annoying bit.
Loose the head keep the rest.
2018-7-18
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Am I the only one who thought the OP was joking?
2018-7-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Uschi’s Phantom Posted at 2018-7-18 13:17
Am I the only one who thought the OP was joking?

Read post #5 i dont think op was joking
2018-7-18
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft

The blades actually don't do as much damage as you think it would. When I first got my drone 2 yrs ago, I had accidently crashed it into a fence. When it was on the ground upside down with motors still going, I panicked and picked it up. While yes it hurt, the cuts actually weren't very deep and I did not need any stitches.
2018-7-18
Use props
Uschi’s Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-7-18 13:19
Read post #5 i dont think op was joking

Yeah, I realized after he wasn't joking, it was just my initial reaction after reading the first post in the thread.
2018-7-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's the carbon fibre props.  They will cut through flesh and bone like butter.  All the regulations and restrictive FW in the world is not going to change this.  Stick with OEM props or high quality composite props.  
2018-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules