Going to Thailand, but not using my drone
2150 8 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrisdutton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14511 ft
United Kingdom

I am going to visit Cambodia and Thailand in December this year.

I first arrive in Bangkok for 1 night and then we are flying to Cambodia for 10 nights. I plan on using it in Cambodia, obviously not in the temple area etc, in the areas I am allowed. I then fly to Phuket for 5 nights. I won't be doing the islands again so doubt will use it, if it means paying over £100 for the insurance and having to go and visit an office in Bangkok when I arrive, as I will only have a few hours there as it is.

Do you know if I still need to do all of this paperwork if I have no plans on using it in Thailand?

Obviously, everyone will say this, so I am a little worried about telling the customs when I arrive,  are these documents only needed if you fly it, or do you need it just to get it in the country?

Apologies as I have asked a similar question, but after looking at it, I think just doing Cambodia would be easier as it seems there are no documents needed for this, just to be aware of their laws.
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching DJI forum. Mostly, for taking the drone to the airplane, it will vary from the airline companies, so you can seek advice from the airline company you are going to take. As for the battery, discharge to below 5% will be helpful to carry. The best way to know the rules and regulations on how to bring the drone to a different country is by contacting the airport authorities. They can give you the correct details on how to bring the drone and how to pack it as well.
2018-7-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Phuket/Thailand: They are just needed, in case you wanna fly.
If you don't wanna, and IF they ever check on the drone, even if they X-ray your handluggage on arrival, tell 'em.
(I walked through both, international and national security checks, several times since I have a spark in the handluggage, not even a blink!)

In case you change your mind: use common sense.
Looking at a lot of videos, lately, and thinking on my past without registration (waiting for it, to happen):
Stay away from to crowded areas.
I know, the BiB's have fined very few people on Phuket, but I do not know where and what pointed them in that direction of checking the drone pilot.
I probably wouldn't fly total in the open of patong beach, but that is b'c of crowded, anyway.
However, from the north end, there where the rocky area starts, its FCC here, ..... ;-)

2018-7-19
Use props
chrisdutton
lvl.2
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-19 05:13
Phuket/Thailand: They are just needed, in case you wanna fly.
If you don't wanna, and IF they ever check on the drone, even if they X-ray your handluggage on arrival, tell 'em.
(I walked through both, international and national security checks, several times since I have a spark in the handluggage, not even a blink!)

Hi, thanks for this. Yes, I am not sure I want to show Patong beach if I did, I would go to one of the islands, but I think I would mainly concentrate on Cambodia for my filming.

I can get the CAAT forms easily as you can do it online now, but the insurance is the costly part of it and is putting me off, nearly £100 for basically 5 days in Thailand.
2018-7-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

chrisdutton Posted at 2018-7-19 08:30
Hi, thanks for this. Yes, I am not sure I want to show Patong beach if I did, I would go to one of the islands, but I think I would mainly concentrate on Cambodia for my filming.

I can get the CAAT forms easily as you can do it online now, but the insurance is the costly part of it and is putting me off, nearly £100 for basically 5 days in Thailand.

You never had the idea to get a liability insurance for flying in the UK?
Don't they have a worldwide part, except northamerica, mostly?
You DON'T HAVE to buy the thai insurance.
That is a costy one, not even with the highest payouts!
Get one at home, with ww coverage
Your drone can always fall out of the sky.
2018-7-19
Use props
chrisdutton
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I got the dji refresh when I bought it and didn't think about liability insurance as it's not required here and I rarely use it. Do you know of any that do provide this that aren't going to try and cost more than my car insurance
2018-7-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

chrisdutton Posted at 2018-7-19 09:13
I got the dji refresh when I bought it and didn't think about liability insurance as it's not required here and I rarely use it. Do you know of any that do provide this that aren't going to try and cost more than my car insurance

But it comes "handy", in case your rarely used Spark is hitting someone/something.
And no, I do not know anything about insurances in the UK.
2018-7-19
Use props
chrisdutton
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ok just got a quote of £280. Nearly the cost of my car insurance...
2018-7-19
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

chrisdutton Posted at 2018-7-19 09:45
ok just got a quote of £280. Nearly the cost of my car insurance...

Imagine i'm too late but i insured for an entire month for £30 with a UK insurer? Let me know if you want their details.......
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules