SD Card Question
1051 14 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zgwPd0J95Tqx
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

When I record this is saved to the DJI App on my mobile phone.  What is the purpose of the SD Card within the Spark?

Thanks,

Paul
2018-7-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

The SD card is 1080p. Footage recorded to the phone is 720p and I believe will have the stops and stutters you see on your live feed. If you want higher quality video, use the SD card.

I'm in favour of transmitting only Standard Def video to the phone if it helps the operation of the Spark and phone.
2018-7-19
Use props
djiuser_zgwPd0J95Tqx
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-19 02:07
The SD card is 1080p. Footage recorded to the phone is 720p and I believe will have the stops and stutters you see on your live feed. If you want higher quality video, use the SD card.

I'm in favour of transmitting only Standard Def video to the phone if it helps the operation of the Spark and phone.

How do you chose to save to SD Card over phone?
2018-7-19
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

it is very rare that pilots remove the sd card to download pics and  videos. The 720p is good enough to carry the photos and videos.
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

The video cache depends on the image transmission quality. It is mainly used for the composition of a picture/video. As for film editing, you are recommended to use the original video stored in the SD card to get better quality.
2018-7-19
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

S.J Posted at 2018-7-19 03:03
it is very rare that pilots remove the sd card to download pics and  videos. The 720p is good enough to carry the photos and videos.

What?  I highly doubt that, the footage from the card is far superior to what goes to your phone.  I've never used a video on my phone unless I just wanted to send some one a short clip real quick.  All my videos are made with files pulled directly from the SD card.  It's 2018, I'm not uploading a 720p video to YouTube.
2018-7-19
Use props
djiuser_zgwPd0J95Tqx
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Are you saying that when I record, it records on both the phone and SD Card and on the phone at a lower rate?
2018-7-19
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft

djiuser_zgwPd0J95Tqx Posted at 2018-7-19 03:02
How do you chose to save to SD Card over phone?

if you took a picture or video on the controller or in the app, the files are on the sd card.
the low res versions of photos and videos are on your phone.
you can disable video caching on your phone in dji go app options but you cannot disable saving on your sd card.
2018-7-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

djiuser_zgwPd0J95Tqx Posted at 2018-7-19 03:36
Are you saying that when I record, it records on both the phone and SD Card and on the phone at a lower rate?

Correct. There's no need to choose to save to the SD card. It goes to both the card and phone automatically.

You also have to remember to stop shooting and turn the video off before turning the drone off or the last file will be unreadable.
2018-7-19
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hi!

It is always recommended to use a MicroSD card if you want the highest quality possible. The video stored directly on your phone is only a cache (temporary storage) and is at most in 720p. If you experience lag/delay or transmission issues during filming, this will also be shown on the preview. If you use a MicroSD card, you can either remove the footage directly from the card with a MicroUSB cable or plug in the card in your computer. 720p is quite low quality, and does not hold up well if published on social media. A 16 or 32GB card should be more than enough for your use.

Happy flying!
2018-7-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You got it!

1080p on SD, 720p stream, sometimes with interuptions, on the phone.
you have a cache settings for this in the app

edit:

And you can't do Panos, if no SD card is in the bird, methinks
Which are also not cached on the phone at all (the single shots, you have to download them)

2018-7-19
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Are you saying that when I record, it records on both the phone and SD Card and on the phone at a lower rate?

yes               
2018-7-19
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-19 04:39
Correct. There's no need to choose to save to the SD card. It goes to both the card and phone automatically.

You also have to remember to stop shooting and turn the video off before turning the drone off or the last file will be unreadable.

Thank you I was wondering what happened corrupts the file somehow.it makes it unreadable.
2018-7-19
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28058 ft
Greece

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-7-19 20:06

Thank you I was wondering what happened corrupts the file somehow.it makes it unreadable.

I've found a utility that fixes those corrupted videos though
djifix.live555.com/

I have saved 3-4 videos with this utility
2018-7-20
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28058 ft
Greece

Are you saying that when I record, it records on both the phone and SD Card and on the phone at a lower rate?

The phone is basically screen recording the output of your app thought.

Any glitches you see on the video feed it will appear on the recorded phone footage as well.

That's the cached video, i suggest you only use the recorded footage from sd card
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules