SDMicro Card - Max Size?
10696 11 2015-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

From the PH3 FAQ sticky thread regarding the max sized SDMicro card that will work in the PH3: "Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required."

So, will the three examples below, which are all Class 10 / UHS-1 SDMicro cards, work in a PH3?  If not, why?  

1)  Sony 128GB UHS-I SDXC Memory Card (Class 10 / UHS-I), Max. Read Speed: 94MB/sec
          http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1067808-REG/sony_sf128ux_tqn_128gb_gb_sdxc_uhs_1_memory.html

2)  PNY  Elite Performance 256GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U1 Up to 90MB/sec
          http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Elite-Performance-256GB-Speed/dp/B00FF90EZM

3)  Samsung 128GB Class 10 UHS-1 Micro SDXC TF Flash Memory Card 48MB/sec
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-128GB-Class10-UHS-1-Micro-SD-Micro-SDXC-TF-Flash-Memory-Card-48MB-s-EVO-/351263516980

Thanks!
2015-5-21
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

They are all 3 over the 64gb maximum size. You are much better off with more small cards vs one big one.
2015-5-21
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are the best memory cards available for the Phantom 3:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#MemoryCardsP3

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-21
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

64GB is the max.  128-256gb are all to large.
2015-5-21
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Has anyone done tests to see if the 90 MB/s cards makes saving DNG Raw photos (especially when shooting brackets) faster over the included Lexar which has a write speed of about 24 MB/s?
I switched out the Lexar with a SanDisk 32GB Extreme - but I have not done tests to see if taking DNG-pictures are faster or not. Both a fast enough to start and stop 4K recordings without a problem. But shooting DNG-raw+JPG in brackets takes a long while before you can take new (sets of) photos.

I did a speed-test of the included Lexar 16 GB microSD. It has a fast read-time - but thats only really interesting when emptying the card to the computer (I presume?).

This is the speedtest of the SanDisk 32GB Extreme. Significantly faster write speed - but slower read speed.

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, intelligent DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
me.kevinnicolso
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-22 20:43
Has anyone done tests to see if the 90 MB/s cards makes saving DNG Raw photos (especially when shoot ...

you seem to know your stuff mate ( seen many of your posts ) question, i have a 64gb card in my p3 pro

when i do videos and even when i am doing a single video for lets say 20 mins the actual files on the card are split into 4.1gb files, rather that lets say one single 10gb file, my card is exFat, is this normal ?
2015-5-23
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

me.kevinnicolso Posted at 2015-5-24 03:38
you seem to know your stuff mate ( seen many of your posts ) question, i have a 64gb card in my p3 ...

Thanks, Kevin. I spend a lot of time on these things and try to learn as much as I can because I think it is really interesting. If I see something where I think I might be able to help or pitch in, I can't help myself

I just double-checked with one of my microSD-cards formatted by the Phantom, and the format is Fat32. That allows for files up to 4GB in size each. So are you sure it does not split them up in 4GB files? I would suggest that you format the microSD-card you use in your Phantom with the Pilot App when the card is in the Phantom. That way it gets what it prefers.
Personally, I don't film for that long in one shot. I think it is too risky and the files get so unwieldy large. I prefer doing shorter shots for what I something I really want. But inbetween when I just do more random flying, I'll usually still film, but not for more than 5 mins every time max. So I stop and start several times every flight. This also happens naturally for me because I will often stop to take a still photo once in a while as well.

By the way, I also generally move all the files from a flying session off my microSD card every time. To organize my videos and photos before I start editing them, I create a folder for everytime I empty the microSD-card. I use the same naming every time so they can be easily sorter and so I can find what I am looking for again later without sorting thru a ton of files. I wonder what other people do?

I name my folders for each emptying of the card like this (without the brackets []):

2015-05-23 20.30 [Place] [interesting notes, Swans or buildings] [general shooting settings LOG, 0 sharp -2 contrast -2 saturation, AE-lock] [windy, sunny, sunset]

One of the nice things is, I can easily sort by Folder-name and then they will be en chronological order. And I can search for some of the keywords.

2015-5-23
Use props
me.kevinnicolso
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-24 05:44
Thanks, Kevin. I spend a lot of time on these things and try to learn as much as I can because I th ...

Thanks for info and spending time on it , I will get the app to format as I think I just got pc to format it.
Will let you know.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid129131

I have another post to at the above if you can help with that to ?

Thank you
2015-5-23
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

me.kevinnicolso Posted at 2015-5-24 15:39
Thanks for info and spending time on it , I will get the app to format as I think I just got pc to ...

Thanks.

I'll look at your other question. A quick reply is; search for "jello" on the forum and YouTube, it sounds like that is what you are describing. There are many who have written (including me) about who to try to mitigate the jello-problem.
2015-5-24
Use props
sofagbem
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-22 10:36
64GB is the max.  128-256gb are all to large.

What speed class is recommended?
2015-5-24
Use props
me.kevinnicolso
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-24 23:31
Thanks.

I'll look at your other question. A quick reply is; search for "jello" on the forum and Y ...

i have added a video to the other link for you to look at, if you could post in that thread  

thank you

2015-5-24
Use props
fans4f433626
New
Flight distance : 57044 ft
Hong Kong

me.kevinnicolso Posted at 2015-5-24 03:38
you seem to know your stuff mate ( seen many of your posts ) question, i have a 64gb card in my p3 pro

when i do videos and even when i am doing a single video for lets say 20 mins the actual files on the card are split into 4.1gb files, rather that lets say one single 10gb file, my card is exFat, is this normal ?

This is a file size limitation of exFat
2016-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules