Nexus 7 - Tablet Interference
2015 8 2014-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jasonmsprague
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233953 ft
United States

I recently purchased my P2V+ a few weeks back and love it.  I recently tried using my Nexus 7 as a monitor for a bigger screen but am running into interference issues.  When using the Nexus 7, at about 500 - 600', I loose control signal, sometimes much closer.  If I take the Nexus off the mount and hold away at arms length, I can regain control and travel further.  When bringing it back towards the controller, the connection is one again lost.

The Nexus does not have cell support and other than android system apps, nothing else is running.

Any ideas why the Nexus would cause interference?  

2014-11-3
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Let me confirm:
When you use Nexus 7,the drone can fly about 500-600 meters and the controller will lose signal and the drone enters failsafe.But if you do not use the Nexus 7, the drone can go much further .Am i right?
Do you try it on different mobile devices&locations?
2014-11-4
Use props
jasonmsprague
lvl.1
United States

I was referring to feet not meters, so only about 150 - 200 meters using the Nexus 7.  When I use my Galaxy 5s phone, I get about 400 meters.
2014-11-11
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you mount the Nexus 7, do you have to change the RF antenna and WiFi extender orientation? Say when mounting the Nexus 7, do you have to make the RF antenna tip pointing the craft instead of the body of the antenna? the tip of RF antenna is actually a weak point of RF signals for reviving and emotion.
2014-11-11
Use props
jasonmsprague
lvl.1
United States

No, the mount for the nexus fits more in the middle of the controller than the top like the phone does.  This way I can continue to tilt towards the phantom.  
2014-11-15
Use props
jasonmsprague
lvl.1
United States

Like before, if I hold the Nexus away from the controller, than it reconnects quickly.  It would appear like the Nexus was causing interference of some sort.  If it is due to proximity to the antennae, where can find information on an antennae upgrade or something to increase the control range?

I appreciate your help!
2014-11-15
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

To be clear, are you losing control (the Phantom starts to return home) or are you just losing connection in the app? Either way, maybe you can shield the tablet somehow.
2014-11-15
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I have an Apple ipad.  I have it centered on the transmitter with 2 clamps and have no problem at all having a solid connection.  I did move the range extender velcrowed to the back of one of the clamps at the top of the clamp.  All equipment is stock and so far, the distance I have gone in an open area is 3400 feet from take off point.

Apple iPad 2 32GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (AT&T), 9.7in - White!! (Low FW iOS 6.1)

2014-11-15
Use props
jasonmsprague
lvl.1
United States

Yes, the RF connection is lost, not the wifi.  The Phantom starts to return home.  I agree shielding is likely the only fix as the issue does not happen with my phone.  

@Gerry1124 - That is amazing distance.  The furthest distance I've achieved is 1200 feet @ 200' altitude and 1500' altitude @ 100' distance.  All equipment is stock Phantom 2V+ using a Samsung S5 Active.
2014-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules