Best tablet for under $100
5145 30 2018-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

Hello all,

Im looking into replacing my tablet, or more correctly putting another one in my inventory. I was wondering, since im not a tech guy by any stretch of the imagination, what would be a good choice for tablets in the $100 and under category. Id be willing to look at tablets for under $200 as a secondary list....

Currently im using a Galaxy Tab S2 SmT710, with an additional 64gb micro sd card on board. It doesnt do OTG very well if ever, even after the firmware update, so thats a must since I live in a heavily signal polluted area in the South Metro area of Denver Colorado, DTC.

This Tablet would be dedicated to using with my Drone(s), currently and primarily the Spark.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The goal here is to have an OTG capable, dedicated tablet for drone usage so that im not getting my work mixed up with my play.

Cellular connectivity is not a must but if it can be done for very inexpensive, that is always an option, otherwise a standard, wifi model will certainly suffice as im more comfortable doing any firmware updates through my PC than i would ever be on the go away from a solid connection.

Thanks again for any advice here!

-SkinJob2501
2018-7-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. I will be posting below the list of fully compatible devices or tablets for your reference. Thank you.

2018-7-23
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-23 06:18
Hi thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. I will be posting below the list of fully compatible devices or tablets for your reference. Thank you.

[view_image]

That was superfast. Thanks! Nice a forum where people actually get answers to their questions! Thank you in advance! if theres any other information I can give you to help you compile this list, please, do ask.

-Skinjob2501
2018-7-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-23 06:22
That was superfast. Thanks! Nice a forum where people actually get answers to their questions! Thank you in advance! if theres any other information I can give you to help you compile this list, please, do ask.

-Skinjob2501

No worries Skinjob. We're here to help. Thank you.
2018-7-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

you could look into the amazon fire tablets
I have read a couple of posts pointing in the direction, they may be able to handle the task.
Do a google search on that topic.
Or follow the suggestion of lots of iOS user: Get a ipad mini sec. hd!
2018-7-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I picked up a Samsung A7 to use with my Mavic Pro and Spark. The Samsung tablet couldn't really handle the Mavic Pro but it did well with the Spark - only you really can't fit it inside a Spark controller, you can fit it inside the Mavic Pro controller.
2018-7-23
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-23 07:18
I picked up a Samsung A7 to use with my Mavic Pro and Spark. The Samsung tablet couldn't really handle the Mavic Pro but it did well with the Spark - only you really can't fit it inside a Spark controller, you can fit it inside the Mavic Pro controller.

I have a tablet mount (the plastic one)( marked for use by the Mavic Pro) so im not terribly worried about it fitting into the controller. My main concern is onboard memory, an SD or micro SD card slot and primarily the ability to connect to the Spark via OTG. Personally I have some issues with Apple as a company and will try to avoid at all costs furthering their interests by putting money in their pocket. I may be a Satanist but Steve Jobs is the literal Devil (Satanists dont believe in the devil in a literal sense strangely enough). Seriously, My Spark has been Named 'Satanic Flying Device' ...

The aforementioned having been stated. If I can find something to that effect at a good price point, i may be interested...

-SkinJob2501
2018-7-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-23 08:15
I have a tablet mount (the plastic one)( marked for use by the Mavic Pro) so im not terribly worried about it fitting into the controller. My main concern is onboard memory, an SD or micro SD card slot and primarily the ability to connect to the Spark via OTG. Personally I have some issues with Apple as a company and will try to avoid at all costs furthering their interests by putting money in their pocket. I may be a Satanist but Steve Jobs is the literal Devil (Satanists dont believe in the devil in a literal sense strangely enough). Seriously, My Spark has been Named 'Satanic Flying Device' ...

The aforementioned having been stated. If I can find something to that effect at a good price point, i may be interested...

You can use the Mavic Pro tablet mount on your Spark, it should work well but remember using OTG cable requires having a fast enough and capable device if you decide not to use the WiFi to RC option.
2018-7-23
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-23 08:31
You can use the Mavic Pro tablet mount on your Spark, it should work well but remember using OTG cable requires having a fast enough and capable device if you decide not to use the WiFi to RC option.

Yeah, thats the crux of the post right there. What tablet should I buy...
2018-7-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-23 08:40
Yeah, thats the crux of the post right there. What tablet should I buy...

Honestly, I don't think there's really a viable tablet that can perform similarly or better to smartphones. When needing to go up with the best devices to give you the best possible overall experience, I use my Samsung S7 that has 4GB RAM and Snapdragon 820 processor. The S7 is the last generation Samsung S phone with a physical home button, both the S8 and S9 have virtual home buttons and in the event running the DJI GO 4 App causes screens to freeze up, a physical home button you can restart the application rather than on virtual home buttons when the screen freezes powering off and on the device is sometimes the only way to get the app working back to normal.
2018-7-23
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-23 16:08
Honestly, I don't think there's really a viable tablet that can perform similarly or better to smartphones. When needing to go up with the best devices to give you the best possible overall experience, I use my Samsung S7 that has 4GB RAM and Snapdragon 820 processor. The S7 is the last generation Samsung S phone with a physical home button, both the S8 and S9 have virtual home buttons and in the event running the DJI GO 4 App causes screens to freeze up, a physical home button you can restart the application rather than on virtual home buttons when the screen freezes powering off and on the device is sometimes the only way to get the app working back to normal.

well then I guess the focus should shift to what is the most reliable tablet one can use for the task with the lowest pricepoint? Im using a samsung Galaxy s2, which I bought it like 2015...its doing alright but OTG simply doesnt work on it with the new update. I would say, what is the most acceptable tablet for at or around $200?
2018-7-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-7-23 17:34
well then I guess the focus should shift to what is the most reliable tablet one can use for the task with the lowest pricepoint? Im using a samsung Galaxy s2, which I bought it like 2015...its doing alright but OTG simply doesnt work on it with the new update. I would say, what is the most acceptable tablet for at or around $200?

I would say the Samsung Tab S3 is probably your best bet for any close to capable tablet for running DJI Go 4. You may want to look at an iPad, but then again, the Tab S3 is Super-Amoled and is better in the direct sunlight than an IPS iPad display....
2018-7-23
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

in what ways does the Ipad outsrip the Galaxy S3 in this field? Im leaning towards the samsung products in general as i have a well founded distrust of the apple products. Thanks for all the help, im really not informed enough to make a decision based on just looking at the specs. I guess I should ask, If it where you, what would you be looking at?
-SJ
2018-7-24
Use props
Yukon 3-0268
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1148 ft
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-7-23 06:57
you could look into the amazon fire tablets
I have read a couple of posts pointing in the direction, they may be able to handle the task.
Do a google search on that topic.

My Kindle Fire 7 works but its laggy.  
2018-7-24
Use props
tonykakkar
lvl.1

India

Amazon Fire HD 8 is one of the best tablets that comes under 100 USD.  Other than this Dragon Touch X10 tablet will be also a good option.
2018-7-27
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

tonykakkar Posted at 2018-7-27 07:11
Amazon Fire HD 8 is one of the best tablets that comes under 100 USD.  Other than this Dragon Touch X10 tablet will be also a good option.

Thanks thats a good answer!. I kinda borrowed my moms, I think ill be looking for something a bit more powerful than tha. It works, which i smore than I can say about my S2 but it doesnt have clear enough video. Perhaps a looking but no buying trip is in order to bestbuy or something to that effect.
-Sj
2018-7-27
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

As an aside, im kind of surprised, that since there are so many people on this site, and in general replies seem to come pretty fast for newbie questions, not to mention (extreme run on sentence) that there must be plenty of people in the same financial boat as I, (here it comes) That there arent more recommendations so far or people saying 'Try This". Just an observation, certainly not dissapointed. Good things take time and my spelling took 20 years to get this bad lol. Have a great day DJents!

-SJ
2018-7-27
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

I accidentally cracked the screen on my Samsung Galaxy S2 tab while doing some filming this weekend.....So unfortunately I will be looking for a new tablet sooner than later at this point. Im considering (far from dercided on) an apple tablet. I would like to stick with an android platform. If cost where no object (it always is) what would anyone else be choosing? The sky is the limit on this one, although I will be sticking within my budget guidelines. I may be replacing my Phone instead....I had a galaxy s8 active (at&t), if you where to replace your phone instead (again no CR-apple products) what would you be looking at. Ive been a samsung diehard for some time now, what in that lineup would be a good suggestion?

Thanks again for any replies!

-SJ
2018-8-6
Use props
chrisman71
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634672 ft

United States

I use Galaxy Tab4 7 inch screen   as dedicated  go4  and it handles spark well for about 60 bucks
2018-8-6
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

chrisman71 Posted at 2018-8-6 16:07
I use Galaxy Tab4 7 inch screen   as dedicated  go4  and it handles spark well for about 60 bucks

THIS is the kind of answer i am looking for. My Galaxy tab S2 doesnt seem to hack it well, if at all. I Finally got OTG to work on my brand new S9+....It rocks. Now I have 5 batteries, gettin' spazzy again, need to go fly around for a while lol. Im going to go look for a galaxy tab4 today, I have a galaxy s6 that needs a new battery but is otherwise fine to trade in somewhere, hopefully I can get the requisite amount for a new tablet. I hate using my S2 now that I cracked the screen which is a huge bummer to say the least. Never cracked a screen before until now.....
2018-8-9
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Check the Facebook Marketplace or any of the Buy/Sell apps (LetGo, OfferUp, etc.) and you can find a used iPad or Android tablet for $100-200.
2018-8-9
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Hi,

I am using an ASUS ZenPad 8.0 tablet dedicated to GO4. It works very well with RC and AC wifi and OTG modes. The screen could be brighter, but most tablets are very good in bright sunlight.
2018-8-9
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

ssylca44 Posted at 2018-8-9 09:35
Hi,

I am using an ASUS ZenPad 8.0 tablet dedicated to GO4. It works very well with RC and AC wifi and OTG modes. The screen could be brighter, but most tablets are very good in bright sunlight.

Again, a great response. I havent actually been out shopping yet lol, the 5 batteries Ive accrued keep me flying as opposed to running around looking for stuff I actually need. Thank you again for your response, hopefully when the time comes it will help in the purchase of a new, dedicated tablet for my Spark, as im tiring of using my Tabs2 for multi duty and would love something to leave in my flight bag so its all ready to go when I am.
-SkinJob
2018-8-9
Use props
saliff Manioc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 230344 ft

Hp slate 8 pro tablet works with OTG cable.
2018-8-11
Use props
Alexey Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I just got my iPad Air 2, very happy
2018-8-11
Use props
BMelody
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3146 ft
United States

I have several display devices ranging from $50.00 to $800.00. I have an 8" tablet (Nvidia Shield K1) I use with my Phantoms. I also have a pair of Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses I use with my Mavic and Spark. But for the Mavic and/or Spark I like having a device that fits the controllers without the need for any additional mounts. So that leaves using a phone. There are lots of great phones out there and one of the best cheap phones with a great display and supports all features like OTG etc.etc. is the Huawei Ascend XT2. These phones were available from Walmart at a blow out price of $50.00 but they long since sold out. However you can still find them on eBay and Craigs list. No need for phone service from AT&T. Works fine with the SIM card removed. This phone is as fast with the video as my K1. I can honestly say it has never locked up while flying. I have seen a video freeze for a second or 2 but that is quite normal with any display and it always has recovered immediately.  

Here are the spec for the phone;

Huawei Ascend XT2 - Specifications
Chipset        Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 MSM8940
CPU        1.4 GHz Octa Core
GPU        Adreno 505
RAM        2 GB
Internal Storage        16 GB
2 more rows
Huawei Ascend XT2 Specifications - GSM-specs.com
https://www.gsm-specs.com/specifications/huawei-ascend-xt2/

A great display for very little money.

~Bill
2018-8-11
Use props
Alexey Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

I tested the ipad air2 today on wifi and the connection was worse than on my samsung galaxy s6 on wifi. Maybe its quality of wifi chips is worse on apple than samsung. Will try otg tomorrow.
Safe Flying
2018-8-11
Use props
Alexey Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

So yeah, i just tried otg with my new ipad air2 and the connection was perfect, 0 disconnects, im relieved it just means that apple wifi chips are crap, enough to connect to home wifi but not to something as sofisticated as a drone to pass the video feed, telemetry and all the data. So its otg with apple the way to go!
Safe Flying
2018-8-12
Use props
joachim25
lvl.1

United States

anyone tried using Oppo F7 phone with the RC and app?
2018-8-14
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

I should have been more specific in my quest for a reasonably priced tablet (phablet, large phone etc)...No Chinese made products IE ZTE Huawei etc. If im going to be spied on willingly or not its going to be by a google/android device.

-SJ
2018-8-22
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer

Spain

I bought an iPad air2 for 100 euros at a second hand shop here in Barcelona.

Safe Flying.
Alex.
2018-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules