"Gyroscope's bias value is too large"
29091 19 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chasd.harris
lvl.2

United States

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]After carefully going through the checklist, calibrating the compass, etc., I was able to make one flight in my new PA3.  Thereafter, every time I try to fly, I get a message to calibrate the compass again and then, when I try to start the motors, I get this error message: "Gyroscope's bias value is too large. Please restart the aircraft. Contact DJI support if the..."  I restart and it happens all over. I have to recalibrate the compass and get the error message again. I went through this 10 times before I gave up. I sent an email to DJI but haven't heard back yet. What do I need to do to fix this?  Thanks.
2015-5-22
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you done an IMU calibration?  Try that on a level surface and see if that helps.
2015-5-22
Use props
chasd.harris
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-23 12:50
Have you done an IMU calibration?  Try that on a level surface and see if that helps.

How do you do an IMU calibration?  The manual says nothing about that.  
2015-5-22
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

I can't fire up the app right now but imu is under the sensors menu.
2015-5-22
Use props
Philliplloyd20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690607 ft
United Kingdom

chasd.harris@gm Posted at 2015-5-23 13:56
How do you do an IMU calibration?  The manual says nothing about that.

Imu calibration. Open app then connect to your phantom click on the 4 little dots "top right corner" select the top most icon that looks like a heli, scroll down to the bottom "sensors" click on the advanced imu calibration button. PLEASE pay attention next for a successful calibration..IMPORTANT try to get your phantom as cooled as possible or place in fridge for 5 MINS MAX  or a cool part of your home  as soon as it's chilled down immediately turn every thing on go straight to imu calibration with information above. Please try to get your phantom 3 as level as possible, before imu calibration. I hope this helps you out
2015-5-22
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

That sounds like a decalibrated IMU, maybe the data is not within the tolerance level. The gyro is part of the IMU and maybe the Gyro mod number is to high
2015-5-22
Use props
chasd.harris
lvl.2

United States

Philliplloyd20 Posted at 2015-5-23 15:28
Imu calibration. Open app then connect to your phantom click on the 4 little dots "top right corne ...

Thanks.  I'll give this a try.
2015-5-23
Use props
chasd.harris
lvl.2

United States

chasd.harris@gm Posted at 2015-5-23 20:44
Thanks.  I'll give this a try.

It worked.  The "calibrate IMU" is under the Advanced Settings. It takes about 10 minutes.
2015-5-23
Use props
Philliplloyd20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690607 ft
United Kingdom

chasd.harris@gm Posted at 2015-5-24 00:43
It worked.  The "calibrate IMU" is under the Advanced Settings. It takes about 10 minutes.

I'm glad it helped
2015-5-23
Use props
roger.dixon
New
United States

After the latest sofware upgrade I had "calibrate IMU", "calibrate compass" and "gyroscope bias value too large" errors. Every time I shut it off and turned it back on again it gave me one of those error codes. I put the P3 in the refridge for a good 5 minutes while I downloaded a level app to my phone, then put put the P3 on a level surface and recalibtated the IMU.  It worked easily and well. I was flying about 5 minutes later. THANK YOU!
2015-7-5
Use props
alvaroffdelamo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 165551 ft
Spain

I got this same error, "Gyroscope's bias value is too large. Please restart the aircraft. Contact DJI support if the..."

but then when I checked IMU status, it said it was OK. So my P3 is sending contradictory information.

After reset, it flew OK but now I am kind of concerned.
2015-7-8
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

IMU = inertia measuring unit... it sounds important doesn't it?? Because it is!! The IMU has the gyro and accelerometer and acts like the balancing system in your ears. When you get punched in the head, you get disoriented because the sensors in your ears are all over the joint. If you try and walk, you veer off into 1 direction or into the ground. This is similar to hearing the phantom flyaways, taking off and tilting to one-side and accelerating into a wall.

DJI should make this clear that an IMU calib is needed the very first time the phantom is turned on. Why?? During the delivery/transport, the phantom could have been thrown around and enough to cause the sensors to get stuck or misalign. I find that the IMU is more important than the compass dance, and yet people only learn of this process after a heavy bump.

2015-7-8
Use props
boesenfoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277139 ft
Denmark

Just had that problem today. Flew and then went to another place and got the error message. Tried restarting several times. Nothing helped. Tried resetting everything. Nothing helped. Changed the battery and then no error message?!? Yeah... but still a weird message...

Will do the IMU as well
2015-11-15
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2015-7-8 19:29
IMU = inertia measuring unit... it sounds important doesn't it?? Because it is!! The IMU has the gyr ...

Excellent description of how it works!   KUDOS!
2015-11-15
Use props
joe.kallal
New

United States

HUGE Help for me before my first flight, thanks a lot folks!!
2016-1-1
Use props
closeyoureyes
New

United Kingdom

Excuse me for being a bit of a newbie to all this. I'm having an issue with the IMU. The story so far (to give you as much info as possible). When I first received the unit, I assembled it according to the instructions (removed all parts, foam blcok behind camera, clear camera guard etc. Installed the App. Turned everything on in this order. TX. Aircraft. App. Said it needed a formware update. Installed it. Calibrated compass.
Everything looked good. Accordig to the manual all was ready. Started up. Props turned. Small increase in power. Hover mode. Checked everything was working OK. Landed. Turned off.

Due to low charge of batteries, I charged both. After roughly 3 hours charging, I had 100% power. Installed the battery unit in the Aircraft.
Went thorugh the same 'startup' procedure. Turned everything on in this order. TX. Aircraft. App. However, I did not calibrate the compass. When I pressed the two handle start procedure the message came up that the "gyroscopes bias value too large" and the yellow/orange panel telling me to recalibrate the IMU. Despire the fact that the list of items including the IMU all said NORMAL on the sensors page there was no gyro values at all. The IMU calibration was greyed out. I took advice on this forum and placed the aircraft outside to cool the IMU unit. Success after 10 minutes (1 degree outside). Brought it inside the house. Went to the list. Selected CHECK IMU and it told me to calibrate it. (Should I be doing all this inside)?
Here is where the fun began and has had me scratching my head.
The MIU starts to initialise the process but the 0% status gets stuck and does not go above 0%. I've rest everything. Restarted. Followed countless procedures pretty much the same everywhere and given it 30 minutes to an hour to update but it never moves.
And yet when I press the two controllers to start it says 'AIRCRAFT INITIALISING - PLEASE WAIT' and so it must be doing something.
What does it need?
Are they all like this?
Is this possibly a 'Friday' version?
Would I be best sending this back to the store and getting an Inspire?
Sorry for the long post but I thought it might help giving as much info as possible.
Kind regards to all,
PJT
2016-3-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

closeyoureyes Posted at 2016-3-6 08:25
Excuse me for being a bit of a newbie to all this. I'm having an issue with the IMU. The story so fa ...

You said earlier in your explanation that you had not performed a compass calibration. This should be done and not inside the house. It needs to be done outside away from any possible influences of iron or steel. I have only done one IMU calibration, and I did it inside at normal temperature, so perhaps try that.
2016-3-5
Use props
closeyoureyes
New

United Kingdom

Hey Geebax, thanks for your post. have recently returned back from outside. Did everything on setup. Performed a compass calibration (weird dance in circles) outside in the middle of a field.
Everything looked good to go. Started up. All greens. Looked like it was going to fly. Then it shut down. I looked on the APP and it said IMU Error and asked me to recalibrate. had to power down to get those greyed out bars to be able to be pressed so shut down the aircraft, waited till the GP was cold. Then set it to ON and waited. Pressed Calibrate IMU button. Waited. Waited. Nothing. No movement further than 0%. I even took it to where the phone signal was strongest (I use an iPad with phone and wifi built in and it was all bars up) and the satellite bars said 9-10. So no comm issues. I rn the whole procedure again. The IMU is simply not kicking in. The sound the camera is making is a Du Du...Du Du noise but it clearly is having communication issues.

Question is (after looking on this forum) there does seem to be an issue with DJU saying that a lot of the P3 4K's should be returned. What do I do, DJI? I bought one from one of your resellers as a brand new model. Return it to you?

Do I need to run a firmware update? It said that on the iPad when I installed the software so I pressed it and followed instructions and it said it had updated. So why the issue? Do I need to update the aircraft firmware? How do I do that when I have a Mac and cannot connect my iPad to the aircraft. The plugs don't match.

Getting a bit frustrating now.  Is anyone from DJI here able to help on this?
2016-3-7
Use props
closeyoureyes
New

United Kingdom

Problem solved !!! It had never updated the firmware correctly. But there was a lot to learn about so I thought I would share it for everyone.
BTW, Heliguy (brilliant support from them) and DJi Europe office in Amsterdam, thanks to the staff member who helped) me solve the issue but there are a few very important things to know:

I own a Phantom 3 4K - as many people have rightly said, its basically a standard model with a 4k camera, Lightbridge software and a few mods and odds from the advanced and professional models.
However, the aircraft does not update firmware like the standard does. The DJi Europe office was a little empty due to the time I called but the girl that was still helpful and told me what she knew to get me up and running but her advice to update the aircraft using the latest standard firmware was a bit confusing since there isn't a standard firmware download link on the DJi website. Matter of fact there isn't  drop down in the menu for the Phantom 3 4K (come on, DJi, you need to get that updated) and there is also no link to download software/firmware update on a P3 4k page when you eventually do find it (again DJi, be good to get that web site updated).
Heliguy were kind of right when they told me to remove the MicroSD card and format it and put the new firmware bin file on the Micro SOD card using my PC (but where to get it)? but then to load the MicroSD card back into the aircraft camera chassis where it goes and then, basically, reboot the aircraft cold and it would find the .bin file in the root and install it. In essence that is what I did but there is a twist, as you'll read what happened. After following Heliguy's advice, I loaded the MicroSD and took a look at what was on it. Nothing. No data. No files. It was empty. No wonder the aircraft could not calibrate. It had no file to read. So, with no apparently obvious location for firmware to download, I did this...

1   I shut down and un-powered the aircraft by removing the battery and made sure it was cooled down.
2   Waited for the GPU unit to cool down under the belly of the 4K. Important. GPU units calibrate better cold.
3   I was using an iPad Mini (must be a cellular one, it needs to have GPS support - any wifi iPad won't work) but it said the firmware had been updated but it hadn't.
4   So I switched to using my iPhone 6. Downloaded the DJi Go app and installed it.
5   Then I switched on the control unit. Re-inserted the battery into the aircraft (making sure that I had replaced the SD card too). Then powered up the aircraft.
6   Set wi-fi to the Phantom 3's own wi fi. Turned on the APP on my iPhone. It found the control unit and then told me there was new firmware to download. I pressed the button to download it and ... Hallelujah!
7   After downloading the firmware I had to turn the wi fi back to the Phantom's wi fi and when the control unit and app had found the aircraft then press the button to update the firmware. It took about 12 minutes and made a series of D-DD sounds until it had installed. The button on the phone said finished and I then rebooted the aircraft and the control unit and app.
8   After checking that the two were paired and I had a signal for the Phantom Wi fi I then went to the app and found SENSORS and ran the IMU calibration.

FINALLY. It showed 1%, then 2, 3 etc. and installed. And to cut this long story short, I ended up having a flight as the sun went down. Everything seeming to run perfect. No issues.

There are several bits missing that DJi could learn from. One, is  to update their website. Two is to make sure that they tell people what the Phantom 3 4K really is. What firmware it runs on. How to install it (I will even write a guide for them if they want). And last, (this is a wish). We need a good tech centre for support in the UK. DJI, please, help yourself and help us newbie's.

DJi, we love your products but support is king.
2016-3-7
Use props
alvaro
New

Brazil

Hello! I have the same problem. I also get the message that the gyro bias signal is very large . However , only I get this message if I try to make a flight soon after another . But if I wait 15 minutes, and place a charged battery , I can fly normally without the error message before takeoff . It is pertinent to think that this error may be related to the system temperature ??? Someone would have something to say? I appreciate the attention. Álvaro
2016-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules