How do I set home point?
33736 28 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chasd.harris
lvl.2

United States

I started flying my P3A yesterday and am still learning. Today, after calibrating the compass and IMU, I flew for 10 minutes, but when I used the RTH button, the quad returned to where it took off yesterday, over 120 feet from where I took off from today. I thought the Home Point was set automatically. My Pilot App showed a great GPS signal and the status showed "GPS Safe to Fly". Is there a way to manually set the Home Point before takeoff?  Thanks.
2015-5-23
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Color me wrong - I'm under the same impression as you. I thought when you see the little message "Safe to fly with GPS" that the home point had been created.
2015-5-23
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The home point is automatically set at startup if you are connected to enough satellites (e.g. "Safe to fly with GPS"). There is no way to manually reset the home point right now.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-23
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Just wait long enough for the aircraft status indicator to blink rapidly, that will let you know when the home point is recorded.  (for more detailed information refer to page 12 of the user manual)
RTH.png
2015-5-23
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

For now to RESET the home point to a new location just power off the P3 and back on. Wait for RC/app to re acquire comm.
Update:  you DO NOT need to power off the P3 to reset home -->> see my comment below...
2015-5-23
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Would be super nice to be able to set a new homepoint (without landing the Phantom).
2015-5-23
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-24 06:15
Would be super nice to be able to set a new homepoint (without landing and restarting the Phantom).

Yes, and I believe we will have this in a new app release.
2015-5-24
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

Ok, I did some testing.  The home point is reset immediately to the location of the quad when the motors are armed (start motors CRC).  You DO NOT need to power off the smart battery in the P3 to reset the home point, but you cannot currently reset the home point while the motors are spinning.  So again:  to reset home after landing (or grabbing) and bringing the props/motors to a halt (hold down throttle), take the P3 to the new desired home location and "ARM" the motors - start the props spinning in idle.  You will see in the app map the home point immediately move to the location of the P3.  In the future, I believe that the app will let you reset the home point even with the P3 flying.
2015-5-24
Use props
a.khassanov
lvl.1

Kazakhstan

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-25 02:50
Ok, I did some testing.  The home point is reset immediately to the location of the quad when the mo ...

You mean I shouldn't do the compass calibration again, when I moving to the new location?
2015-5-26
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

What?  We're talking about the home point - GPS based data. You do a magnetic compass re-cal when you need to. I always re-cal compass if I fly more than 0.25 miles away from the last time I flew. I may reset my home point several times during one session - like from one place in a field to another place in the same field.
2015-5-26
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

DJI just added reset home point to the IOS App 1.1.2.  Going out to try it now.
2015-5-27
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-28 06:20
DJI just added reset home point to the IOS App 1.1.2.  Going out to try it now.

Mswall,

Just used it myself as well. Worked great. Also, if you hit the battery icon for the bird while you're in the Pilot app it will take you to the battery info where you can check a box to show the voltage on the camera screen.

Jerry
2015-5-27
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The map should show you where the home point is. Always best to check that before flying off....
2015-5-27
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
United States

Ok, since the release today of v1.1.2 of the IOS Pilot app, I spent a bit of time running the simulator and have learned some interesting things:
1.  the app now remembers the values input for RTH altitude and MAX flight altitude and restores them to the settings fields correctly between sessions.
2.  these values are input as meters regardless of how you have the imperial/metric setting
3.  although this is in the manual, I believe there are several crashes being caused in the user community by misunderstanding the fact that IF THE QUAD SWITCHES TO RTH MODE IT WILL DO ONE OF TWO THINGS.  IT WILL DISREGARD THE HOME POINT AND IMMEDIATELY DESCEND AND LAND WHERE IT IS OR IT WILL MOVE VERTICALLY TO THE RTH ALTITUDE, THEN TRANSLATE TO A POINT AT THE RTH ALTITUDE ABOVE THE SAVED HOME POINT AND THEN DESCEND AND LAND.  The absolute factor that decides between these two scenarios is the horizontal distance between the saved home point and the point below (or above) the P3.  This horizontal distance is 20 meters which is 65 feet and altitude doesn't matter.  If the P3 is 64 feet away from the home point (regardless of altitude), and it enters RTH mode, IT WILL DESCEND AND LAND RIGHT WHERE IT IS.  If it is 66 feet from the home point when it enters RTH mode it will go to the RTH altitude, move horizontally to the home point and then land.
One More Time:  <65 feet RTH lands where it is,   >65 feet it goes home.  Know it.  Learn it. Be it.
2015-5-27
Use props
Michael M
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Maybe.....read the manual? Its there more for than looking pretty
2015-5-27
Use props
Swiss Tony
lvl.2
Flight distance : 505459 ft
United Kingdom

mswall@mac.com Posted at 2015-5-28 12:42
Ok, since the release today of v1.1.2 of the IOS Pilot app, I spent a bit of time running the simula ...

This clears up why mine landed on the spot when i turned off my Tx to test the failsafe then.

This does beg the question.... WHY????!!! Why does it just land when within 65ft? Does anyone know the logic behind this? I can't think of any reason for this, what am I missing?
2015-7-18
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Swiss Tony Posted at 2015-7-19 10:32
This clears up why mine landed on the spot when i turned off my Tx to test the failsafe then.

Th ...

I don't think there is a reason per se, I think it is just that DJI's software engineers figured that at such close proximity it would not be needed
2015-7-18
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Swiss Tony, when RTH is initiated on the P2V+, it'll immediately ascend to the RTH altitude no matter how close the Phantom is to the home point. I've seen many cases where people were very close to the home point and/or standing over their Phantom when RTH initiated. As you can imagine, that could be a dangerous situation if you're not expecting that to happen. I'm assuming that's why DJI changed that behavior in the Phantom 3.

Other than for testing the RTH feature, there really is no good reason to use RTH when you're within 20m of the home point. And, if your Phantom does start returning home on its own, it's a good idea to cancel RTH and take control back when your Phantom nears the home point. That'll allow you to manually land the Phantom. If you allow the Phantom to control the landing, it sometimes lands in locations that are not ideal and/or the landing is a bit rough since it does not know exactly where the ground is located. It'll just keep descending at the programmed descent speed until it stops descending.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-19
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe that you can reset the home point by selecting the little home point button and selecting the far right icon which will make the home point your remote. I don't know if that works while you are in the air.
2015-7-19
Use props
MHAerial Photo
lvl.1

United States

Question, I hit the Mark Home Point button and each time it says, "Warning, Home Point Not recorded'. Phantom is on, props are not spinning. Ideas? Oh, and I have 14 sats.
2015-8-22
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Mark Home Point button?

Where is that?
2016-8-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-8-21 00:12
Mark Home Point button?

Where is that?

Look on the MC settings page of the app.
2016-8-20
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Cheers, I'll have a look next time I have the craft and RC and everything connected (!)  
2016-8-20
Use props
Earl.nottingham
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249793 ft
United States

So I am still confused! Can I reset the home point while the Phantom is in the air to the current location of the controller?
2016-12-13
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Earl.nottingham Posted at 2016-12-13 09:48
So I am still confused! Can I reset the home point while the Phantom is in the air to the current location of the controller?

I get a vocal message- Home point has been recorded, maybe this is just in Litchi? I haven't flown in DJIgo app, for quite a while.
Dynamic home point - I;m not hooked up just now, but isn't there an icon to reset home point?like if your moving, i.e.- on a boat & you leave your take off location, you don't want your bird going back to where u were!
I haven't done this for quite sometime, but I recall resetting the home point, I took off, then drove to other end of park, about 3.5 km;s & landed at new location.
2016-12-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Earl.nottingham Posted at 2016-12-14 01:48

Yes you can, it has been a feature for some time now. But you must be using a phone or tablet that has a GPS receiver capability. Certain models of iPad do not, namely the ones that are WiFi only.
2016-12-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Earl.nottingham Posted at 2016-12-13 22:48

Yes - you can, if the tablet has GPS.
And everyone can also reset home to the current location of the Phantom as well.
2016-12-13
Use props
HKFEVER
lvl.1
Hong Kong

I have the same problem, can't set the Home Point.

I am using iPhone 6 without sim card in it.

2017-1-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HKFEVER Posted at 2017-1-5 08:08
I have the same problem, can't set the Home Point.

I am using iPhone 6 without sim card in it.

What is the problem exactly?
Your Phantom will set home point automatically if it has a view of the sky - it's not something you need to do.

2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules