DJI Go 4 pixelates & lags with DJI Mavic Pro & Nexus 6P Android
1577 14 2018-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Global Villager
lvl.1
United States

I have a DJI Mavic Pro with a Nexus 6P Android. The drone is now close to unusable due to pixelation & lag issues that began in June. There are several threads about this problem on the internet. It seems that a DJI software 'upgrade' has rendered many Androids unusable. I also have an iTouch (Apple) and that still works perfectly.

I called DJI for help. They suggested to roll back to 4.2.16, which I did. However, the Android/Mavic Pro now says 'NFZ' for No Fly Zone. To be clear, I am NOT in a No Fly Zone. When I fly with updated Android software (suffering pixelation & lag), it does not say No Fly Zone and when I fly with the iTouch, it does not say No Fly Zone, but when I fly with the downgraded Android software, it now blocks all flight and just says NFZ.

DJI,
How can you release a software update that knocks out Androids? Androids are 77% of the cell phones on the planet. Is there anything I can do to get my Android Nexus 6P to work again with my DJI Mavic Pro? Is there anything to stop this NFZ problem when I am NOT in a No Fly Zone.

2018-7-30
Use props
C0mput3r
lvl.1
South Africa

I'm flying with a Samsung S7 Edge and have the exact same problem
2018-7-30
Use props
Global Villager
lvl.1
United States

C0mput3r Posted at 2018-7-30 07:41
I'm flying with a Samsung S7 Edge and have the exact same problem

Does your problem include the No Fly Zone quirk? or just the pixelation & lag?
2018-7-30
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can find some additional tips that might make your Android device run better here.
2018-7-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Which version of firmware is your Mavic Pro and R.C. running?
2018-7-30
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

DJI needs to get serious about fixing the Android lag issue.
2018-7-30
Use props
Global Villager
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-30 10:22
Which version of firmware is your Mavic Pro and R.C. running?

I had been running the latest version on the Mavic Pro, but then DJI asked me to downgrade to 4.2.16, but that is where I ran into the NFZ problem.

When you say RC, I use the standard handset for the Mavic Pro, along with my Nexus 6P.

HedgeTrimmer, have I understood your questions? I laid this out in post or have I misunderstood what you were getting at?
2018-7-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Global Villager Posted at 2018-7-30 11:14
I had been running the latest version on the Mavic Pro, but then DJI asked me to downgrade to 4.2.16, but that is where I ran into the NFZ problem.

When you say RC, I use the standard handset for the Mavic Pro, along with my Nexus 6P.

4.2.16 would be GO-4 App software running on your Nexus 6P.

What I was asking about is Firmware revision that is running on you Mavic Pro and Remote Controller.
Which could be v01.04.0400, v01.04.0300, v01.04.0200, v01.04.0100, or earlier.
v01.04.0400 is most current, and may be cause of your Pixelation problem.

2018-7-30
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Pixelated video, crashing apps and video disconnects, and now NFZ's for safe areas. Talk about crippling the pilots.

Try taking the firmware back to 0200.

Do that using DJI assistant on the computer. Charge a full battery and charge the RC. They need to be on when updating.

if you get warnings about firmware after this, ignore it. Do not do the updates. Wait and see if DJI fixes this. It won't be soon, so get used to flying on old firmware and older apps.

you may want to try 4.2.14 or even 4.2.12 of the app. Apkpure.com would have them.
2018-7-30
Use props
Global Villager
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-30 12:49
4.2.16 would be GO-4 App software running on your Nexus 6P.

What I was asking about is Firmware revision that is running on you Mavic Pro and Remote Controller.

How do I determine the version of the Mavic Pro that I am running?
2018-7-30
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

Im using a 6P also, I have gone all the way back to DJIGO4 .12 and it's still horrible video.
This thing is basically a brick for months now.
Oh, and here comes the canned response from DJI about what devices are recommended....
2018-7-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Global Villager Posted at 2018-7-30 13:02
How do I determine the version of the Mavic Pro that I am running?

Two ways:

1) Using GO-4, tap on three dots (...) in upper right corner of screen, which brings up various information and settings.  At bottom (may have to scroll down) there is general settings selection three dots (...) which brings up another screen.  At bottom of that screen is About, which will show you various Firmware versions including Mavic and Remote Control.

2) Using DJI's Assistant-2 running on Windows PC or Apple computer, connect Mavic (or Remote Control) to computer with microUSB to USB cable.  Power-on Mavic (or R.C.) and Assistant-2 should now recognize your Mavic (or R.C.) and show it connected.  Assistant-2 will change to screen showing either your Mavic (or your Remote Control).  Click on Mavic (or R.C.) and screen will change showing several things that can be done.  One of which is look at Firmware level, and change Firmware level to ones shown.

As a heads-up.  DJI's Assistant-2 is not "Blessed" by either Microsoft or Apple.  The USB interface drivers that come with Assistant-2 are not Signed.  Windows will not install and use those drivers unless you first disable Security checking in PC's BIOS.  In either case you will have to install DJI's Assistant-2 as an Administrator.

Heads-up for Apple computer "OS-X".  DJI's Assistant-2 will not fully function due to known, but unresolved software Bugs with Assistant-2.  You can not access FlightLog files or BlackBox data.  

2018-7-30
Use props
Global Villager
lvl.1
United States

nnote Posted at 2018-7-30 13:30
Im using a 6P also, I have gone all the way back to DJIGO4 .12 and it's still horrible video.
This thing is basically a brick for months now.
Oh, and here comes the canned response from DJI about what devices are recommended....

The Nexus 6P is a recommended device.
2018-7-31
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The update doesn't knock out "androids" just some.  In particular lower spec ones.  They're newer releases are bloatier and seemingly far less optimised so devices where Go 4 previously worked no longer do.  My nexus 7 2013 which was flawless until about xmas is now near unusable with current versions.  Downgrade to last years versions and its fine.  They're getting sloppier with code releases and not optimising or taking time to test.
2018-7-31
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

Global Villager Posted at 2018-7-31 03:51
The Nexus 6P is a recommended device.

yes, but DJI doesn't actually read, they just send out canned responses to all issues.
2018-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules