Dumb question?? About disconnects and home point
987 7 2018-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

still testing the disconnect situation.... so far my last 4 flights have been disconnect free.  If my app disconnects, I still have control and can fly it home.  Tested in real world situation and all good.  Question.. if the RC disconnects, the RTH  is set.  If I turn off the RC and turn it back on... and if everything reconnects, doesn't the homepoint get reset, just as if you were turning everything on for the first time again?    Just curious..... wanting to be prepared in case it happens while out in the field.  
Sorry... not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to learn.
2018-7-30
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

You should not reset RC as it still connected with aircraft and you have the control. If you can see the aircraft you can fly it back even lost the display on app. Use the RTH when you can’t see the aircraft and difficult to fly it back. Ensure the aircraft recorded home point correctly before takeoff.

Even the RC disconnected with aircraft (status light turn red) it should reconnect automatically when aircraft return closer. You should only reset the RC if it completely disconnected and unable to reconnect when the aircraft returned in front. Reset RC is the very last thing you should do.
2018-7-30
Use props
308Shooter
lvl.3
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-7-30 19:52
You should not reset RC as it still connected with aircraft and you have the control. If you can see the aircraft you can fly it back even lost the display on app. Use the RTH when you can’t see the aircraft and difficult to fly it back. Ensure the aircraft recorded home point correctly before takeoff.

Even the RC disconnected with aircraft (status light turn red) it should reconnect automatically when aircraft return closer. You should only reset the RC if it completely disconnected and unable to reconnect when the aircraft returned in front. Reset RC is the very last thing you should do.

Thanks.... this is exactly why I'm asking the question... my first flight ever with the MP was when I was on Vacation in South Carolina.  I received a complete disconnect - app and RC both.  Being my first flight, I didn't venture out too far or too high.  I was able to walk about 80 yards and stand right by the drone.  It never reconnected.  It did the RTH process (on it's own), but just hovered at 5 ft.  I hand caught and forced off.   

I haven't had the RC disconnect since, but just want to be prepared and able to handle the situation if it does... therefore, If I do turn it off and it reconnects, does the homepoint reset?
2018-7-31
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

308Shooter Posted at 2018-7-31 03:34
Thanks.... this is exactly why I'm asking the question... my first flight ever with the MP was when I was on Vacation in South Carolina.  I received a complete disconnect - app and RC both.  Being my first flight, I didn't venture out too far or too high.  I was able to walk about 80 yards and stand right by the drone.  It never reconnected.  It did the RTH process (on it's own), but just hovered at 5 ft.  I hand caught and forced off.   

I haven't had the RC disconnect since, but just want to be prepared and able to handle the situation if it does... therefore, If I do turn it off and it reconnects, does the homepoint reset?

Well you did good.
2018-7-31
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Home point set in the drone not RC. Reset RC should not affect the home point.
2018-7-31
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Besides... there is no such thing as a Dumb Question.  There may be dumb answers.  We'd rather you ask the question and receive the answer and not foul up something costly....
2018-7-31
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Just an FYI, I had a full Aircraft Disconnect followed by 10 seconds of panic, then 2 minutes of heart attack. As a last measure after 2 minutes, I powered off the controller and powered it back on. It still did not reconnect within the normal timeframes. At the 3 minute 30 mark, my controller reconnected and the first thing it prompted was "returning to home". I let it do its thing because that felt like the safest option and it continued to the home point then went into landing mode. So I'm guessing it doesn't get any prompts for a home point on controller reboot. It must just set it at take-off and only re-set it if manually changed.
2018-7-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, in any case that the RC signal is lost to the aircraft for a specified amount of time (3 seconds when using RC), the Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated. RTH can be cancelled as soon as the RC re-gain and re-established the connection to the drone. I would recommend flying your aircraft in an open area, for us to avoid interruption to the connections of your RC and AC. Please don't hesitate to reach us whenever you need our assistance.  
2018-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules