Downward obstacle avoidance not working
1788 22 2018-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Hello,

I have had a Mavic Air since April and I have had many flights and the Air has been rock solid, no issues ever, thankfully.

Yesterday, during landing the Air went straight into the ground instead of the typical pause, slow decent then land.

I checked all obstacle avoidance settings and everything is enabled, I haven't changed any settings at all.

I tried several restarts and with 3 different batteries and the results are the same.

I can live with this I suppose, but I typically do hand-landings and I like the safety of the controlled landing.

I am also concerned about the downward facing obstacle avoidance as it is not functioning at all, and there are no error messages stating a malfunction.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It has me baffled.

Thanks in advance!
2018-8-2
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

What mode do you have selected in the controller? P-mode disables the sensors.
2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-8-2 03:58
What mode do you have selected in the controller? P-mode disables the sensors.

Thanks for the reply! Don't you mean S-Mode (Sport Mode) disables the sensors?

I used sport mode briefly, but I made sure to toggle back to P-Mode prior to decent and landing.
2018-8-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did it suffer from a hard landing? Did you try to refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2? Did you do the vision calibration?
2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-2 05:16
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did it suffer from a hard landing? Did you try to refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2? Did you do the vision calibration?

Wanda,

Thanks for the reply! It was a rough landing, but in tall grass so no harm done.

I have not tried refreshing the firmware with the DJI Assistant 2, can you provide instruction for that?

I will also attempt the vision calibration this evening, Thanks for the help!
2018-8-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-2 05:34
Wanda,

Thanks for the reply! It was a rough landing, but in tall grass so no harm done.

You can download DJI Assistant from the website: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
There is a Windows and a Mac version available. Make sure that your Mavic is connected to the PC or Mac and switched on during the installation of DJI Assistant. On Windows run the installation as Administrator and (in case you are asked) confirm to install unsigned drivers. DJI Assistant is the most stable and convenient way to install new firmware or to refresh the existing version. And it is needed for sensor calibration too among other things.
2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-2 05:45
You can download DJI Assistant from the website: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
There is a Windows and a Mac version available. Make sure that your Mavic is connected to the PC or Mac and switched on during the installation of DJI Assistant. On Windows run the installation as Administrator and (in case you are asked) confirm to install unsigned drivers. DJI Assistant is the most stable and convenient way to install new firmware or to refresh the existing version. And it is needed for sensor calibration too among other things.

Thank you very much for the great information!
2018-8-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-2 05:53
Thank you very much for the great information!

You are very welcome. Please report back here, especially if you experience any problem.
2018-8-2
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-2 04:11
Thanks for the reply! Don't you mean S-Mode (Sport Mode) disables the sensors?

I used sport mode briefly, but I made sure to toggle back to P-Mode prior to decent and landing.

Ah yeah...I meant S-mode. been sick for a few days so ideas are not flowing organically xD
2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-8-2 06:10
Ah yeah...I meant S-mode. been sick for a few days so ideas are not flowing organically xD

I understand the feeling! Hope you're better soon.
2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-2 05:59
You are very welcome. Please report back here, especially if you experience any problem.

I most certainly will do so!
2018-8-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-2 05:34
Wanda,

You may refer to this tutorial for refreshing the firmware:

You may use these links for downloading the DJI Assistant 2:
For windows: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... sistant+2+1.2.4.zip
For Apple: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... sistant+2+1.2.4.pkg

You may refer to this tutorial for vision calibration:
2018-8-2
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-2 06:42
You may refer to this tutorial for refreshing the firmware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPmWvxeSp7E

You may use these links for downloading the DJI Assistant 2:

wow , learn new stuff every day,
I have Spark, P4P+, Mavic Air and never knew you could do this . never had problems , but always handy to know ..thanks
2018-8-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

wobbles Posted at 2018-8-2 08:20
wow , learn new stuff every day,
I have Spark, P4P+, Mavic Air and never knew you could do this . never had problems , but always handy to know ..thanks

No problem. Please let us know if you still need any help.
2018-8-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is the Landing Protection setting enabled in DJI GO? If it's disabled, you'll have full control until your Mavic Air reaches the ground.

2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-8-2 11:02
Is the Landing Protection setting enabled in DJI GO? If it's disabled, you'll have full control until your Mavic Air reaches the ground.

[view_image]

Thanks for the reply!

This was the first thing I checked. Because all the other sensors are working perfectly and there is no error message, my first instinct was that the Landing Protection feature was disabled.

Not so, it is enabled just as all other obstacle avoidance features are.

I pay close attention to my settings and I haven't changed anything in months, that is why this is so confusing to me. There is no reason anything should have changed unless a DJI GO 4 app update affected it somehow.
2018-8-2
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you check out your flight logs? Perhaps they include information that will explain what happened.
2018-8-2
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-2 05:59

So here's a little update:

I refreshed the firmware, calibrated the vision system and reinstalled the app.

Nothing has changed. Except one thing. Now my map is black and I can't see anything. GREAT.
No home point, no aircraft, nothing.

So now I have no downward obstacle avoidance and I cannot see anything on the map.

The Air has been super reliable for me for months and now out of the blue, issues are popping up.

Pretty disappointing. Not sure where to go from here.
2018-8-2
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

You should send it back for checking.
2018-8-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-2 16:14
So here's a little update:

I refreshed the firmware, calibrated the vision system and reinstalled the app.

Maybe by reinstalling the app you deleted the maps. Just download them again with GO 4. The menu is called "Offline Maps". On the other side you should at least see your homepoint and aircraft...
2018-8-3
Use props
djl750
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-3 01:02
Maybe by reinstalling the app you deleted the maps. Just download them again with GO 4. The menu is called "Offline Maps". On the other side you should at least see your homepoint and aircraft...

Thanks for the info! I restarted everything including the phone and the map is fine now.
2018-8-3
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-3 03:40
Thanks for the info! I restarted everything including the phone and the map is fine now.

Good to hear!
2018-8-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djl750 Posted at 2018-8-3 03:40

Hi, thanks for the updates. Glad to know that you were able to solve the map issue, however, I believe the main issue still persists right? Would you mind uploading a short video of this issue? You can use google drive or drop-box then upload the link here. Please keep us posted for further help.
2018-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules