P3 Pro Gimbal does not work after a harder crash -.-
1895 11 2015-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
p.weissbacher
New

Austria

HI! My Name is Peter. I am here because my Gimbal is not working after a crash. Please help me

I want to photograph a festival at June 21th. Can anyone help me?? Or does anyone have a solution? Can I buy a new Gimbal?

Thenk you for your Answer.
Greetings from Austria (not Austrailia, no kangoroos ;) )
2015-5-25
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I hate being the bearer of bad news but I don't want you to have any unrealistic expectations.  Regardless of how slight or extensive the damage you will not get an immediate replacement if you need to send it back to DJI.  Even if you ordered a brand new Phantom you would be probably have to wait.  What I've heard is the demand has exceeded DJI's production capabilities and parts are going into producing new Phantoms rather than as spare parts.

Having said that, can you provide a few more details?  There may be a possibility something can still be done.   Is the gimbal physically damaged or is it the electronics?  Does the camera still work, etc?

Let me prepare you for the so you need to be prepared for a long repair process.  
2015-5-25
Use props
p.weissbacher
New

Austria

The camera does work yay

The gimbal is not working and here are some photos and a video of the crash

http://peter-susanne.at/drohne5.mov
http://peter-susanne.at/Absturz.m4v
2015-5-26
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

p.weissbacher@g Posted at 2015-5-26 18:06
The camera does work  yay

The gimbal is not working and here are some photos and a video of the c ...

Hi Peter, same piece of mine, but my "landing" was harder. Unfortunately, that part is in plastic and not aluminum like the rest of gimbal. DJI should improve that part. As gil addressed you won't be able to have from dji a fast resolution. I sent mine last week and friday they received it, but communications from/to support are a little bit hard. Around internet you'll find some shops with small amount of spare parts coming (mine says 5th of june). Btw, that part is easily fixable, I'd use an alumin stripe, then a glue able to sopport high vibration... but I won't trust for long time
2015-5-26
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I still haven't received my P3, but I saw that part as a downgrade from P2V from the first video where I suspected DJI cheapened it. Anyway, you're going to have to wait buddy. Demand is heavy right now. Meanwhile, get some flying practice on a mini quad copter. Besides, the weather has been a pile of crap around here in Austria lately.
2015-5-26
Use props
knicholas194
lvl.2

United States

bactrimforte Posted at 2015-5-26 18:55
Hi Peter, same piece of mine, but my "landing" was harder. Unfortunately, that part is in plastic a ...

Wow after reading this I checked my gimbal, and you're right, it's plastic. (it sure looked like aluminum)
I can't believe how cheaply made these things seem to be.
I Remember watching the introduction video for the Phantom 3, where Paul Pan said "we built the camera from the ground up, using the highest quality aluminum - pulled from the crust of the Earth itself".
Seems like a lot of marketing BS to be honest.I've seen other people who have had the gimble break apart on a hard landing -- and its the aluminum parts that broke. It seems like they used really low quality aluminum, to cut costs.

On the other hand, since this part is plastic, I'm sure you could take the gimbal apart - do some measurements - and 3D print a new one! It probably wont look as nice, but it could get it working and back in the air! You could even design it to be stronger than the stock plate.

2015-5-26
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

19 hours left and it is at about half the price of a new Phantom, but it is there if you need it...
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DJI-Phant ... hash=item2ee19cb17d
2015-5-26
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

^^^^ go with this there won't be another one out there for a while
2015-5-26
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-27 02:36
19 hours left and it is at about half the price of a new Phantom, but it is there if you need it...

Hi Cacc, he needs the plastic part and as I can see from the eBay link you mentioned... there isn't that part. Unfortunately, for me too
2015-5-27
Use props
mirox3m
New

Bulgaria

For the broken gimbal mount I guess you can use something 3D printed like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:677486

You can edit relatively easy and free in Tinkercad so that it fits Phantom 3, in case it is different.
2015-5-27
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

mirox3m Posted at 2015-5-27 21:32
For the broken gimbal mount I guess you can use something 3D printed like this: http://www.thingiver ...

Have to find a 3d printer but I think your solution is the fastest... at least compared with DJI support.
2015-5-27
Use props
Merle Robillard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69918 ft
Canada

Gee, looks like you could MacGyver it with some Gorilla Glue and a Popsicle stick... At least until a permanent solution becomes available.
2015-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules