Battery removed while Spark on
1947 11 2018-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OverlandTrax
lvl.1

So, I ran into an issue with the Spark returning home when I was no longer near that location and ended up removing the battery while it was still on to avoid losing it.  Yes, I have updated the settings to avoid the scenario from repeating.  But I still have a problem…

Now the unit will not charge via the USB cable unless I power the Spark on and shut it down while the USB cable is already plugged in.  Question is what is the fix? What was potentially damaged (the spark, the battery?) when I removed the battery while it was on?

Thanks in advance!

2018-8-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

That is new(to me)!
Usually it is just not "nice", to remove the battery before switching it off.
You could try to reset it with assistant 2 to factory reset.
And/or  reinstall latest firmware
2018-8-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear that. Like what stated on post #2, you can restore the settings to factory defaults and update the firmware using DJI Assistant 2. You can download the software here: (https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads). Kindly follow the video tutorial below . Please keep us posted.

2018-8-11
Use props
OverlandTrax
lvl.1

United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-10 21:30
That is new(to me)!
Usually it is just not "nice", to remove the battery before switching it off.
You could try to reset it with assistant 2 to factory reset.

Yeah, not the greatest moment.  I was limited on choices at the time
2018-8-11
Use props
OverlandTrax
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-8-11 01:32
Sorry to hear that. Like what stated on post #2, you can restore the settings to factory defaults and update the firmware using DJI Assistant 2. You can download the software here: (https://www.dji.com/spark/info#downloads). Kindly follow the video tutorial below . Please keep us posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Psa4hAImKw

Okay, both reinstalled the firmware and reset to factory default.  Issue is still the same.  Unit will not charge via usb cable unless I boot it up and power it down while leaving the USB cable in.  

So back to the original question.  What happens if you pull the battery while the Spark is still on? is the Spark damaged, is the battery damaged? Both?
2018-8-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>

Downgrade the firmware for a try.
2018-8-11
Use props
OverlandTrax
lvl.1

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-11 20:36
Downgrade the firmware for a try.

Thank you for the suggestion.  No effect. (downgraded, factory reset and then upgraded and factory reset)
2018-8-11
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

When you say that it won't charge via the USB cable, does that mean that it will charge via a LIPO battery charger? Trying both ways should indicate the fault. If it will charge with a LIPO charger it is likely that the charging circuit in the Spark is the problem. Otherwise it is likely that the problem is in the intelligent battery.

Also, is there an update for the battery that you could try?
2018-8-11
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Potentially you can he damaged both drone and battery.. When disconnecting a powered on circuit, there can be current jumping while doing so, and making a overcharge on things, ..
Butbest way is to either borrow or buy a nother battery and see where the problem lies..hope for you it is just the smart circuit on battery..... Fly safe, and dont drain below 30%, so ou can make it home and recharge.
2018-8-11
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

I wouldn't have thought that by removing a battery while the Spark was till powered up would cause any issues!!,, however I agree with Joller79 DK and try another battery. This way you can determine battery or Spark at fault..
2018-8-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Do you know someone with a combo charging hub?
Win/win:
Check if your battery charges alone
Check if another battery will do the same in the Spark

If it would be the battery, i'd try to decharge it far under 10% (5ish or even less)
Let it start hibernating and try to wake it up a couple of days after
just a little risk: If it is not starting, because of .... (see topic post)
2018-8-12
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

My Spark connected to my PC's USB will not charge at all.   Even if I power drone on and off..  But, it will charge from my Powerbank.   I'm guessing there's not enough Amps out of my PC's USB ports as it's an old PC.    In any case I charge my batteries with the Battery charging hub.     I would try Spark with another Battery in it and see if it charges or you have to do the on/off procedure for it to start charging..   
2018-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules