Mavic Air fell from Sky
119740 119740 2018-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

Hi, my Mavic Air fell out of the sky. Nice day without any wind what so ever.  Everything looked fine until the drone went out of control. See the video.
Any clue?

I also have a link for the flight log.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KDTEH610FOM4FVLQ1L9I/#

2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We feel sad about what happened to your aircraft. I suggest to fill out our online repair request for us to investigate what happened to that flight. Our data analysis team will take a look of what transpired for the aircraft to crash.

Online Repair Request
2018-8-12
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Sorry to see this. You did a good job of posting the flight results. Can't see anything you did on your part that would cause these errors. Hopefully this will be under warranty and you'll be back in the air soon. Let us know how DJI handles this.
2018-8-12
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

When it reconnected for a few seconds did you try RTH or the pause button ?    Hopefully they will add Ocusync to the Mavic Air 2.
2018-8-12
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-12 12:52
When it reconnected for a few seconds did you try RTH or the pause button ?    Hopefully they will add Ocusync to the Mavic Air 2.

Hi Kingram, I only press RTH once at the beginning before the first disconnection. But I think that the was between my RC and my phone.  After calibrating the IMU, I went out to try it with another cable and I was getting a lot of disconnect. My cable doesn't seem to be in good shape.

I must say that I flew it around and it was a perfect flight.

I will contact DJI.
2018-8-12
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-12 12:11
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We feel sad about what happened to your aircraft. I suggest to fill out our online repair request for us to investigate what happened to that flight. Our data analysis team will take a look of what transpired for the aircraft to crash.

Online Repair Request

I'm in Canada.  No online support...
2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I am very sorry for your crash and wish to thank you for sharing your not so pleasant experience and asking for our feedback. For the time being I would just like to ask you two questions.
1. Quite early into your flight you got this quite alarming message: "Strong Interference to Aircraft. Signal interruption may be more likely. Fly with caution.''
Which rescue actions did you initiate after having received this message?
2. Later, and for really very many times you have received another alarming message: ''En vol [in flight], working IMU encounters attitude exception, please slowly get craft back if craft behave abnormally''. You were flying in an apparently safe open area (a large park), not over water. What has stopped you from simply landing your aircraft to investigate what might be wrong but instead chose to contine your flight until the crash?

2018-8-12
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

I don't think he had any control.
2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Squashpile Posted at 2018-8-12 13:15
I don't think he had any control.

Until the end of the flightrecord there has been no disconnect of the RC, only at the very end. There might have been a loss of the video link, but no loss of RC control as far as I can see from the flightrecord. Others might be able to say more.
2018-8-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ririlan Posted at 2018-8-12 13:12
I'm in Canada.  No online support...

Hi, kindly send an email to  www.dji.com/support , Thank you.
2018-8-12
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-12 13:14
I am very sorry for your crash and wish to thank you for sharing your not so pleasant experience and asking for our feedback. For the time being I would just like to ask you two questions.
1. Quite early into your flight you got this quite alarming message: "Strong Interference to Aircraft. Signal interruption may be more likely. Fly with caution.''
Which rescue actions did you initiate after having received this message?

Hi Captain,
question 1 : I had just lost control of the aircraft. It is when I pushed the RTH button. The aircraft did not respond.

question 2 : You can see that I tried some actions looking at the joystick but nothing was happening.  No control over the aircraft.
2018-8-12
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-12 13:23
Until the end of the flightrecord there has been no disconnect of the RC, only at the very end. There might have been a loss of the video link, but no loss of RC control as far as I can see from the flightrecord. Others might be able to say more.

You are right. The disconnect was between my phone and the RC.
2018-8-12
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

That does not look good. I would definitely say you have an issue with your drone and it should be a warranty repair or replace. Even if you lost connection between your phone and RC, the thing should not turn into a freestyle race quad ;)
2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

ririlan Posted at 2018-8-12 13:35
You are right. The disconnect was between my phone and the RC.

Yes unfortunately and I can well imagine that this has kind of made you panic. There is another problem that I had not mentioned yet. Although you apparently had a stable satellite link at take off time, according to your flightrecord no home point was recorded and I cannot tell you what might have caused this. Hopefully more experienced pilots here can say something about it. But one thing is clear, if no home point has been recorded, RTH cannot work even if you had pushed the button long enough.
What was left for you until the crash or until shortly before was manual control through your RC with which you could have safely landed your Mavic. But without visual control as you say above, you were probably not aware of this. Nevertheless I am happy that you were at least able to recover your aircraft and I hope that there isn't too much damage.
And you should definitely open a support case with DJI and let them analyse the blackbox data. It might well be a warranty case.

2018-8-12
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good footage to demonstrate what happened. Faulty IMU appeared to have been the culprit from the screen shot. Everything else looked fine. I've had issues with repeated strong interference messages and looks almost similar to that but I quickly try to increase the altitude then regain connection to then bring back to home base.
2018-8-12
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-12 13:51
Yes unfortunately and I can well imagine that this has kind of made you panic. There is another problem that I had not mentioned yet. Although you apparently had a stable satellite link at take off time, according to your flightrecord no home point was recorded and I cannot tell you what might have caused this. Hopefully more experienced pilots here can say something about it. But one thing is clear, if no home point has been recorded, RTH cannot work even if you had pushed the button long enough.
What was left for you until the crash or until shortly before was manual control through your RC with which you could have safely landed your Mavic. But without visual control as you say above, you were probably not aware of this. Nevertheless I am happy that you were at least able to recover your aircraft and I hope that there isn't too much damage.
And you should definitely open a support case with DJI and let them analyse the blackbox data. It might well be a warranty case.

No RTH point!!! I think you are right.  I'm new at flying drone (14 hours) but I realize that this is not a toy. I need to have a kind of preflight check list and when a message like IMU Redundancy switch kicks in, get the aircraft back.  I had that message before without taken any action (like calibrate the IMU). Never had the warning to do so but...

The drone doesn't have any damage. It felt in a kind of field flower.
2018-8-12
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Ukraine

Here is an earlier thread about the same issue: https://forum.dji.com/thread-147533-1-1.html DJI hasn't answered what caused that behavior. Note that in both cases there was no interference or errors. Weather conditions were nearly perfect at least in one case. Also note that the MA's were on the notorious .400 (latest!) firmware.
2018-8-12
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

2018-8-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

ririlan Posted at 2018-8-12 14:07
No RTH point!!! I think you are right.  I'm new at flying drone (14 hours) but I realize that this is not a toy. I need to have a kind of preflight check list and when a message like IMU Redundancy switch kicks in, get the aircraft back.  I had that message before without taken any action (like calibrate the IMU). Never had the warning to do so but...

The drone doesn't have any damage. It felt in a kind of field flower.

Glad to hear that there was no damage!
2018-8-12
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-12 13:51
Yes unfortunately and I can well imagine that this has kind of made you panic. There is another problem that I had not mentioned yet. Although you apparently had a stable satellite link at take off time, according to your flightrecord no home point was recorded and I cannot tell you what might have caused this. Hopefully more experienced pilots here can say something about it. But one thing is clear, if no home point has been recorded, RTH cannot work even if you had pushed the button long enough.

This is the home point.

It might bee the app which is mixed up as the errors are mixed some in EN and some in FR.
2018-8-13
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

G_Sig Posted at 2018-8-13 01:25
This is the home point.
[view_image]
It might bee the app which is mixed up as the errors are mixed some in EN ans some in FR.

Thank you for pointing this out.
2018-8-13
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

After trying to calibrate the IMU 3 times, I still get this error.

2018-8-13
Use props
gr4v1ty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2723 ft
Norway

I did receive the IMU redundancy switch some time but never had any problems, what does that actually mean?
2018-8-13
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

ririlan Posted at 2018-8-13 05:27
After trying to calibrate the IMU 3 times, I still get this error.

[view_image]

Have you reinstalled the app? Just remember to sync your flight log before if you want to use it later.
You should also refresh the FW on drone. Use Assistant to do that.
2018-8-13
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

G_Sig Posted at 2018-8-13 05:46
Have you reinstalled the app? Just remember to sync your flight log before if you want to use it later.
You should also refresh the FW on drone. Use Assistant to do that.

I reinstalled the app, still getting the ACC1 data error message. Called DJI, i'll be returning the drone shortly. I'll post again once it has been repaired or replaced.
2018-8-13
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

sorry to watch that
2018-8-14
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Interesting video although I don't consider that falling from the sky. More of a lazy uncontrolled decent.
2018-8-14
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Watched the video, you had a couple of errors early on.  Sorry to see it fall out of the sky
2018-8-14
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

I did notice a rather alarming CELL TOWER near the crash-site, and at 1200+ meters, I'm not sure if anyone MA craft could retained the video signal in that area.

ON THE WEIRD BEHAVIOR: It looks like the motor burned out, it definitely jammed or changed its normal flight condition. There's no audio, but that's what a motor failure looks like. No big deal, clear it or if it's shorted replace it.

These are common in long distance flights, but shouldn't happen. Unfortunately those motors get hot as hell. Not to mention this drone is made in China. I hope this explained it. There was nothing you could do, aside from grabbing a baseball glove and making a run for the crash-site.

2018-8-14
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

WAIT! There is the mid-air shutoff and restart, but that crap is crazy. I have never done one, but it is possible. Don't tell DJI. The manual clearly states not to do it, unless it is an emergency. An emergency like moving for manned aircraft.
2018-8-14
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

LordoftheFlies Posted at 2018-8-14 13:28
I did notice a rather alarming CELL TOWER near the crash-site, and at 1200+ meters, I'm not sure if anyone MA craft could retained the video signal in that area.

ON THE WEIRD BEHAVIOR: It looks like the motor burned out, it definitely jammed or changed its normal flight condition. There's no audio, but that's what a motor failure looks like. No big deal, clear it or if it's shorted replace it.

Thanks for your observation.  I'am not sure if I would call it a alarming cell tower.  This is where I practice my flights and I never had any interference before.  Also, the motor did not burned out. After recovering my drone, I went through the control and flew it for a minute without any trouble.  

The day after, I did another flight of maybe 20 minutes like nothing ever happened.  Very bizarre!!!

2018-8-14
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

LordoftheFlies Posted at 2018-8-14 13:32
WAIT! There is the mid-air shutoff and restart, but that crap is crazy. I have never done one, but it is possible. Don't tell DJI. The manual clearly states not to do it, unless it is an emergency. An emergency like moving for manned aircraft.

I have no idea how to do that !!!
2018-8-14
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

dbparti024 Posted at 2018-8-14 12:50
Watched the video, you had a couple of errors early on.  Sorry to see it fall out of the sky

Not sure if I'm following.  The first message was Strong Interference to Aircraft.  At this point, I had already lost control of the drone.
2018-8-14
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

ririlan Posted at 2018-8-14 14:24
Thanks for your observation.  I'am not sure if I would call it a alarming cell tower.  This is where I practice my flights and I never had any interference before.  Also, the motor did not burned out. After recovering my drone, I went through the control and flew it for a minute without any trouble.  

The day after, I did another flight of maybe 20 minutes like nothing ever happened.  Very bizarre!!!

Then try the same flight that caused the crash... If it works, it works
2018-8-14
Use props
PiVoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158845 ft
Poland

What kind of app is on the right ?
2018-8-15
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

PiVoR Posted at 2018-8-15 12:06
What kind of app is on the right ?

This is new for me but the app on the right is a feature from DJI Go 4 under the Flight Records. You select the flight you want to review. I combined the footage from the SDcard and a video from the DJI Flight Records
2018-8-15
Use props
Cyril-Fr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106552 ft
France

Same bug since 5 june 2018 , DJI not answer on the forum or by e-mail. For me they are dirty little thieves. Good luck. For me first and last product from this brand.
2018-8-19
Use props
fans4737c7e7
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mavic air set up to take off. Done a calibration check. Got the green bar to say take off. When I lifted 3ft from ground the drone started to go away on its own. Hit a metal railing and stopped. Tried again and it done the same. I have flown from this same spot before. Went to a different location and it flew ok. Any info on this.
2018-8-19
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Canada

********* UPDATE *********  ********* UPDATE *********  ********* UPDATE *********  ********* UPDATE *********

As you know, I've send my Mavic Air to DJI for evaluation.  They did not detect any malfunction of the drone so there is no warranty. I had to pay 157$ for repair which I did. I just received a new Mavic Air and it flies perfectly.

LordoftheFlies may be right. He mentioned an alarming cell tower near my flightpath. And after watching several videos of Mavic Air going buzerk, I can say that from now, I will be VERY AWARE of cell towers and stay away from them.

I am satisfied with the customer service of DJI. I called them a few times, they were good listeners and tried to help me the best way they could.

All in all, 4 stars out of 5.  
2018-9-13
Use props
hugoleveille
lvl.2
Flight distance : 370174 ft
Canada

Had 2 IMU error during 2 flights. Scarry, was sure the drone would crash. Putting stick up for altitude seems like stabilizing it a bit

I can’t believe they claimed it was not a malfunction.
2018-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules