819 7 2018-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viprex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168688 ft
Sweden

Hello,

Seriously, EACH TIME I go out and fly I need to calibrate my compass, and I mean every single time, sometime even when I am at the same spot, just land, turn it of, change batteries and power on...
This is not fun, and my Phantom 4 Pro NEVER behaves like this, to be honest, I don't think I never needed to calibrate my compass on my P4P.
I don't stand close to any metallic objects, I don't ware any smart watch or anything else that could interfair with the calibration, and often, I get a success, but next time, I must do it all over again, very frustrating issue I think.
Anyone else have this problems, and what can it be about? I'm running the latest firmware and have my iPad 9,7 as a screen for the controller.

Thanks
2018-8-16
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar problem, constantly needing compass calibration and eventually it progressed to not calibrating at all. Ended having the compass replaced:/ P.S. issues started after a hard landing...
2018-8-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. May I know when did the issue started? Did the aircraft experience crash before?
1. When the app prompts that the compass needs to be calibrated, the drone’s compass has suffered from interference as the aircraft was turned on in a place where there is magnetic interference.
2. When powering on the drone, ensure that the aircraft is at a standstill. If there is interference or the aircraft is powered on during movement, the compass’s orientation may be altered, and then recalibration is needed.
3. To ensure the flight stability, the app will prompt you to calibrate the compass when there is a need. Please follow the app and calibrate it.
2018-8-16
Use props
Cindav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108140 ft
Australia

I got this message a lot too. At the start. But the more you use it. The less it becomes
2018-8-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I saw a good reply to this recently, where the user was holding his Air upside down when powering up. And getting compass calibration warning.

When aircraft was set on ground in normal take off position, and then powered up all was OK. It would seem the IMU is disorientated if upside down when powered up.

Edit:- I found the post

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 855&pid=1475542
2018-8-16
Use props
Viprex
lvl.2
Sweden

No need tor DJI to apologies for this, I just think it's a bit to annoying to do it each time I want to fly it.
I did have one very small crash with it, I hit a tree and the MA got stuck up there (about 2 meters up) and when I shaked the tree, it fell down. No damages at all, and after that, I calibrated my IMU and cameras again and it fly good.
I used to turn on the MA when I have it in my hand, therefore, the MA is close to upside down, and as soon as the beep goes of, I turn it arround and place it on the ground. Maybe I should try to power it on when the MA is in it's right position and not turn it upside down.
2018-8-16
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that you should set the drone down and then turn it on. As soon as it powers on, it's going through a bunch of diagnostic/calibration checks and if it's not right side up (or moving), it might be causing these issues. Next time you fly, try powering it up while it's on your launch pad and see if that helps any.
2018-8-16
Use props
Viprex
lvl.2
Sweden

Big thanks, I will try that!
2018-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules