Range problem. Controller or aircraft issue?
2460 32 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tantastic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8694 ft
Philippines

My mavic air reaches only up to 200 meters then signal is lost.
Is it the controller or the aircraft?
Thanks
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about this. Did you encounter an error message? If yes, kindly provide a screenshot. Please follow the video tutorial below on how to properly position your antennas to get a better connection. Please keep me posted if the issue is still the same.

2018-8-18
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Could also be where you're flying. Is the 200 meters outside in an unobstructed area?
2018-8-18
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

If you suspect the controller, try to fly without it, only using the phone.
But i would personally try to change location first, find open field, if necessary recalibrate your system, maybe reflash  the firmware, using DJI Assistant 2
Better describe first, what have you tried to do to overcome the problem
2018-8-18
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

I already tried everything.  Update firmware, try different locations, unobstructed area. Still just 200 meters. I'm asking about this because I see other users on YouTube installing powerful antennas and they can extend their range.  
If antennas are the issue then the controller is the problem I think. This means if I have the controller checked out it could fix the range problem? Or the transmission of information is largely dependent on the aircraft itself?
2018-8-19
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Read the article below:

http://blog.parrot.com/2018/07/31/anafi-wi-fi-range-efficiency/
2018-8-19
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

It could be the area where you are flying your drone - try flying in a different location.
2018-8-19
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-18 04:56
If you suspect the controller, try to fly without it, only using the phone.
But i would personally try to change location first, find open field, if necessary recalibrate your system, maybe reflash  the firmware, using DJI Assistant 2
Better describe first, what have you tried to do to overcome the problem

Am I correct in saying that the distance you can fly with a mobile device is limited anyways. If so, this test would prove nothing ads a mobile device - app only flying will only give you 100m distance and 50m altitude.
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-19 19:12
I already tried everything.  Update firmware, try different locations, unobstructed area. Still just 200 meters. I'm asking about this because I see other users on YouTube installing powerful antennas and they can extend their range.  
If antennas are the issue then the controller is the problem I think. This means if I have the controller checked out it could fix the range problem? Or the transmission of information is largely dependent on the aircraft itself?

Hi, sorry for the late response. I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 then re-link the RC to aircraft. I would recommend as well calibrating the IMU and compass after using the DJI Assistant 2. Please let us know if the issue will persist.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

2018-8-20
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-20 11:54
Hi, sorry for the late response. I would recommend restoring factory defaults and refreshing the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 then re-link the RC to aircraft. I would recommend as well calibrating the IMU and compass after using the DJI Assistant 2. Please let us know if the issue will persist.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

This was already done by my dealer because I brought the ma back to him.  
Then after testing it it still went just a little bit above 200 meters. Then signal is lost and aircraft disconnects.  
He's actually sending it back to dji for replacement.

I'm just wondering is it the aircraft or the controller which has the issue?
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-20 15:47
This was already done by my dealer because I brought the ma back to him.  
Then after testing it it still went just a little bit above 200 meters. Then signal is lost and aircraft disconnects.  
He's actually sending it back to dji for replacement.

Hi, Thanks for the response. If we manage to do the necessary troubleshooting steps and the issue will persist then the issue might be the connection between the RC and AC, it would be better if we process a replacement for a new one. Again, sorry for the trouble that it caused. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you taking off and flying 200mtrs directly above your take off point? You realize thats over 600ft altitude?

If so......try flying out,  200mtrs and climb .......

If you fly directly above your antennas, you can easily lose signal.......

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-8-21 14:09
Are you taking off and flying 200mtrs directly above your take off point? You realize thats over 600ft altitude?

If so......try flying out,  200mtrs and climb .......

Altitude is 100 meters
Distance 200 meters.
2018-8-21
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Where do you live? CE or FCC region? Do you fly in 5.8 GHz or 2.4 GHz? Did you use unoccupied channels? Did you place the antennas correctly? What phone were you using? Did you try to change the cable between RC and Phone? Did you try to put your phone into Flight Mode? Do you have any interferences nearby? (e.g. smart watch)

So many things that could cause that.
2018-8-21
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Good questions
2018-8-21
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

I've experienced signal limitations as close as 100 metres in CE mode in an area with moderate WiFi noise. Knowing what region you are in can help determine if this is related to that and therefore whether you need to take a bit more consideration into your channel selection and other external factors.
2018-8-22
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

saviour Posted at 2018-8-21 22:53
Where do you live? CE or FCC region? Do you fly in 5.8 GHz or 2.4 GHz? Did you use unoccupied channels? Did you place the antennas correctly? What phone were you using? Did you try to change the cable between RC and Phone? Did you try to put your phone into Flight Mode? Do you have any interferences nearby? (e.g. smart watch)

So many things that could cause that.

Noob and dumb are two different things
2018-8-22
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-22 07:13

And you obviously don't need help if you don't even bother answering questions.
2018-8-22
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-22 07:13

Yes you are right but sometimes it has the same result.
2018-8-22
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

saviour Posted at 2018-8-22 09:16
And you obviously don't need help if you don't even bother answering questions.

Sorry bro. It's just really frustrating when you get a brand new drone then it looses signal even when it's still in your line of sight. My apologies.  
Anyway.  Considering that everything is checked and double checked for a drone to supposedly go at least 2000meters but it goes only 200. What can be the problem? Is it the aircraft or controller?  
Because I ordered an argtek antenna.  But if the aircraft is the problem then this upgrade will not increase my range.
2018-8-23
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

G_Sig Posted at 2018-8-22 10:05
Yes you are right but sometimes it has the same result.

"Sometimes"

This is not one of those times.

I'm in deep need of answers made by really experienced people when it comes to drones.  

Help?  Please?
2018-8-23
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-23 16:28
Sorry bro. It's just really frustrating when you get a brand new drone then it looses signal even when it's still in your line of sight. My apologies.  
Anyway.  Considering that everything is checked and double checked for a drone to supposedly go at least 2000meters but it goes only 200. What can be the problem? Is it the aircraft or controller?  
Because I ordered an argtek antenna.  But if the aircraft is the problem then this upgrade will not increase my range.

You profiles says you are in the Philippines. From what I have read, your setting would be for the CE region. Could you try and give an example of where you are flying that you get limited range? Don't have to be too detailed for privacy reasons. Can just be a crop of a satellite view if you want.

If there is a lot of WiFi noise in your area, you will need to experiment with your channel settings to get one that has a lot less noise. Sometimes you may need to make sure you use 5Ghz. All of these are just tips though as I don't know the area you are flying in.
2018-8-23
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-23 16:35
"Sometimes"

This is not one of those times.

There are few questions in post #14 which you should answer because without details the answers will most likely not help.
Also what happen when you loose connection?
If you have screen recorder you should record the screen in one flight and post it here using Google drive or Dropbox.
AZ Screen Recorder is on you can use if you don't have one.
2018-8-24
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

DJKOR Posted at 2018-8-23 20:46
You profiles says you are in the Philippines. From what I have read, your setting would be for the CE region. Could you try and give an example of where you are flying that you get limited range? Don't have to be too detailed for privacy reasons. Can just be a crop of a satellite view if you want.

If there is a lot of WiFi noise in your area, you will need to experiment with your channel settings to get one that has a lot less noise. Sometimes you may need to make sure you use 5Ghz. All of these are just tips though as I don't know the area you are flying in.

I've flown it in an urban area and reached only 174 meters at 100 m altitude.  
Then I took it to a vast ricefield.  About 3 square kilometers with nothing but rice plants and carabaos. Still disconnected at a little  over 190m at 120m altitude.  

I think the 5.8 can reach farther than that in that situation.  

Airport is about 21 kms away.  

So how can I tell if it's the aircraft or the rc?
2018-8-26
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

G_Sig Posted at 2018-8-24 02:04
There are few questions in post #14 which you should answer because without details the answers will most likely not help.
Also what happen when you loose connection?
If you have screen recorder you should record the screen in one flight and post it here using Google drive or Dropbox.

When it disconnects it goes to rth function then when the aircraft gets a little close it connects again then I can control it again.  
Then I'll try to send it farther again then same thing happens. When it reaches its "range" I get all the controls back.

In urban it's much worse. I can literally still see the drone which means there shouldn't be any obstruction from rc antenna to aircraft and still the same thing happens.

Sent the drone back already to dji.  
I just want to know if they'll replace the controller or aircraft or both.  
2018-8-26
Use props
Dr_Strangerlove
lvl.1

United States

Tantastic Posted at 2018-8-19 19:12
I already tried everything.  Update firmware, try different locations, unobstructed area. Still just 200 meters. I'm asking about this because I see other users on YouTube installing powerful antennas and they can extend their range.  
If antennas are the issue then the controller is the problem I think. This means if I have the controller checked out it could fix the range problem? Or the transmission of information is largely dependent on the aircraft itself?

Do you have it in beginner mode?
2018-9-9
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dr_Strangerlove Posted at 2018-9-9 14:27
Do you have it in beginner mode?

Oh Dear. Another good question.....I await the answer.. Beginner Mode limits to 30m distance and altitude from Pilot...Failing that -
2018-9-10
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I’m doing 3 km with my spark no problem

Fly safely
Alex
2018-9-10
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

i hate the air. the range in CE is a joke :/
2018-9-10
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

The range on all the drones in CE mode is a joke!

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-10
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-10 11:47
The range on all the drones in CE mode is a joke!

Fly safe

That all depends on the amount of interference. I went out to 8.5km with my Mpp in CE region and still had 4 out of 5 signal, but only because i'm out in the middle of nowhere.
2018-9-10
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

Were you ever able to fly higher?
2018-9-10
Use props
Tantastic
lvl.2
Philippines

Looks like no one really knows the answer